State Fair

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
Had a good showing.
Won Premier Exhibitor.

Won Breeders Herd and Best 4 Head - Java, cow - Lava, bull - Lenoir, Mar hfr - Licorice, Feb hfr

Won Reserve 2-year old Cow/Calf

Won Grand Champion Bull with "calf" Lava, on C/C

Won Reserve Calf Champion with Lenoir (March out of the clean up bull we used)

Profile of Lenoir

2nd place to Champion Calf - Licorice, February heifer calf.

I commented in another thread, he weighed 968# on 8-17 - born 1-1-23 on a 2-year old dam. NOT heavy grained - neither one (none of my show string is). Each gets 3# of half WSC and half filler pellets twice a day. Last workup on the farm, he had a 4.11 WPDA. A commercial breeder has purchased bulls from me for maybe 7 years. He has had "1st pick" of the bull calves for the past 3 years. Of course, this was his pick.

Jeanne, did anyone stop by and ask if you knew me? Kids from the high school here were there yesterday and today. I told the instructor to look you up.

We are in Louisville and we sold Lava. He will be going to Florida.
He is being used for the Natl 4H judging class tomorrow.
We show on Tuesday.
Reckon you will be able to check with the new owners from time to time this summer to see how he is handling it? I would guess just fine, and hearing about it might make more people down here realize black Simms can be a good option.

Kenny...Noone did, but we were really busy in and out of our display. Maybe they will find us today.
We asked $5800.
Sold for $5500 to offset trucking a little.
Still looking for someone here heading to FL or Georgia.

Unreal the amount of work you have put into those, not counting the years it took to get nice cattle like that, get them into show condition, transporting and taking care of them. I have been at the cattle show at Louisville a couple times and those people live their cattle.

LOL 😆 only a little over 50 years.
Showing cattle takes time and money, but it is the best advertising I can do.
It amazes me at this show the number of fancy big farms never even set up in the barn. They are scattered over ACRES of parking lot with gates and tents hooked to the side of their trailer. No signs. Zero PR, other than walking in the ring on show day.

When I was in the registered Charolais business we went to the North American ever year to the show, I never did any any showing other than a couple county fairs as a teen. I always enjoyed walking through the cattle and the exhibits in what they used to call the worlds largest country store. I've went there at other times over the years to see mules and jack stock, goats, sheep etc too but it's been a long time since I've been there.

Latest posts