4-5 month old calf aborted?

Help Support CattleToday:

CoolCattle!

Reaction score
Hey all,
Nilla our dexter cow aborted a calf this morning. Does anyone have any ideas as to why? Her placenta was pale and it appeared avascular. I'll take pictures of her placenta, if its still there, and the baby too, and post them, once I figure out how.
We've been feeding prairie hay and some alfalfa, nothing else that I know of.
The pasture that she's in is pretty clean, no trash in there that we know of, if that helps.
We have a ton of deer around.
They should be up on most of their shots. We might send in her urine, or the calf or the placenta, we are going to ask our vet to see what he says as well.
Thank you!

Leptospirosis hardjo is another possibility. It can be transferred from wildlife, such as deer, to cattle. I have had issues with late term abortions on this ranch, so I now vaccinate twice a year with Vira Shield 6+ VL5 HB. These vaccines are only effective for 6 months. I need to special order the one with HB, because my Vet says that is most likely the one responsible for the abortions.

I would also say to seriously consider Lepto; and if you vaccinate for it to make sure it has the hardjo in it. We have seen more problems in the dairies I test for with lepto type abortions, some farms have had them checked for it, and many vaccinate at least twice a year for it. We have gotten by with only 1x a year with our beef cattle, but may have to step it up. At least we can easily do it during preg check, and give blackleg to the cows too at that time. It has seemed to be a bigger issue again here lately with some farms, and I want the calf to get as much protection as possible from the cow starting out.

Thank you all for your replies! We're looking into testing, the vet suspects lepto.
What spreads and what doesn't?

Katpau":2oq6uipj said:
Leptospirosis hardjo is another possibility. It can be transferred from wildlife, such as deer, to cattle. I have had issues with late term abortions on this ranch, so I now vaccinate twice a year with Vira Shield 6+ VL5 HB. These vaccines are only effective for 6 months. I need to special order the one with HB, because my Vet says that is most likely the one responsible for the abortions.

Hogs spread lepto as well. It's bad here, usually they don't breed back or the calf dies shortly after birth.

If you think the host was a coyote your more than likely looking at neosporia.

As others have stated above, I would suspect Lepto as well... Are you on a good mineral program? Sending blood work in to be worked up will tell you a lot (especially any deficiencies your cows may have). Sorry about your loss... we all go through it time to time.

"SHOULD be up on MOST of their shots"??? This does not sound very promising.
Some people do not believe in vaccinations. I DO. They need to be complete and routine. Any Lepto shot is only good for 6 months - need twice a year. And as others stated, HB (a new strain of Lepto) has become quite a problem last few years.
Also, WELCOME to the board. Please put your LOCATION in so we know where you are from. Location varies tremendously on how we advise you. Thanks.

Latest posts