4 1/2 month old heifer bred .

Help Support CattleToday:

Boldcat

Reaction score
Had the bull breed a 4 1/2 month old hiefer 2 days ago . She's not in good shape . The vet thinks he went through the vagina wall past the cervix . I've been treating her with nuflor . And she seems to get up and graze and suck after a shot of banamine (for pain).
I don't know if any of you remember an earlier post I made about crossbreeding Shaver beefblend with simmental . Well she was the result of the cross and she was beautiful .
Now if I can get her back to health , then after a while get her a shot of estrumate & dexamethazone to abort any possible embryo.
I wonder if I should keep her or ship her with the steers and cull hiefers .
What are your experiances .
I can't write on here what I'd like to do to the bull right now :mad:
I usually take the hiefers away from the bull at 5 months .

Boldcat":120jbcto said:
I wonder if I should keep her or ship her with the steers and cull hiefers .
What are your experiances .

We've had 3 and 4 month old heifers bred - they delivered, raised their calf and went on to be productive members of the herd. That having been said, I believe I would abort this heifer. It would be better for her all the way around.

I can't write on here what I'd like to do to the bull right now :mad:

Why get mad at the bull? It's not his fault - he was simply doing what he is getting 'paid' to do, plus it's not his job to manage your herd.

I usually take the hiefers away from the bull at 5 months .

Well, now you know that it isn't age you need to be aware of - it's maturity, and you have the opportunity to re-think your management protocols and make the necessary adjustments.

Prolly keep her on Banamine for a few days, to Lute or not to Lute is a toss-up -- if she's injured very badly I'd sort of doubt she's going to settle, but I could be wrong. As to keeping her -- if you have a good enough vet, have her palpated at weaning to see if she has adhesions or scarring of any sort -- if she feels good inside and you still like her at weaning time, give her a chance.

BTW -- Estrumate/Lute is plenty effective alone, Dex likely won't cause an abortion on a short-bred cow. My vet says at least to 60 days, sometimes longer, is usually safe for using Dex (as therapy for some other problem).

There is nothing good about cattle with that early of maturity.
I would not want that in my herd. You will always be on the lookout. Weaning and separating heafers early. I would get her back to health, sell her or eat her. But keep the bull.

mnmt

Thanks for the advice , but don't worry so much about the bull .
It' not like I'm going to punish him or anything .
:lol:

Last month I took in a 4 month old heifer calf that looked like it was going to have a rectal prolapse. Vet said the bull tried to breed her. Something about when the mama cow is in heat and releases too much estrogen into her milk the calf will smell like it's in heat to the bull. I too felt like talking to the bull about violating a calf. He was an 18 month old bull, which the vet says he has never seen an older bull do that to a calf.

Ya Dee , It's easy to want to hammer your bull when youre stressed out :lol:
I,ve got anthrax all around me (over 400 dead now) plus 6 cases of footrot in the last week and now this .
My biggest stress is a herd of well over 100 bison that I couldn't vaccinate due to the rut and young calves that would be gored . I just don't want my pastures contaminated with spores from any dead bison .
By the way the bison herd is up for sale and I can't wait for winter :lol:

Dee":qwlv3pqa said:
Something about when the mama cow is in heat and releases too much estrogen into her milk the calf will smell like it's in heat to the bull.

That's a new one! I don't buy it - if that were the case then the bull would be trying to breed every calf in the pasture at one point or another.

I too felt like talking to the bull about violating a calf. He was an 18 month old bull, which the vet says he has never seen an older bull do that to a calf.

Sounds like your vet is very inexperienced - our 2 heifers were bred by our 5 year old herd bull. Bull's don't give a flip about age, only estrus. ;-)

What do you do?? You have to have the bull in to breed the cows. We've had a couple of cases of this and just used lutalyse to get rid of any calves. How do you solve this problem??

3MR":2mmdzisz said:
Have the heifers sign a celebacy contract. :lol:

No doubt the little hussies will line right up to do that... :D

Alice

Bull condoms, there you go! I could design a device for him to walk into, arouse him, place a condom on him. The hard part would be getting him trained to go into this contraption before he goes to probe a heifer.

Herefordcross":3bll2kac said:
Bull condoms, there you go! I could design a device for him to walk into, arouse him, place a condom on him. The hard part would be getting him trained to go into this contraption before he goes to probe a heifer.

Just show him safe sex films like they used to do in the military.

dun

Herefordcross":hwdcqx0f said:
What do you do?? You have to have the bull in to breed the cows. We've had a couple of cases of this and just used lutalyse to get rid of any calves. How do you solve this problem??

Check your calves. I mean really check them - size, growth rate, development, etc. - generally speaking it's the bigger, faster growing heifer calves that will reach maturity too early and start cycling while the bull is still with the herd.

msscamp":393s04ue said:
Herefordcross":393s04ue said:

Check your calves. I mean really check them - size, growth rate, development, etc. - generally speaking it's the bigger, faster growing heifer calves that will reach maturity too early and start cycling while the bull is still with the herd.

Yes, I agree. We weaned a 5 month old calf because I wanted to get her ready for showing. I regretted having to wean her because her mother is fat and still a heavy milker but I couldn't break the calf while on pasture. The calf turns 6 months old next week and she was in heat last week. So, I don't feel so bad about weaning her now because her daddy is with that cow group breeding some June calvers we put in there.

Breeding for faster growing, earlier maturing animals means we're(all of us) going to have to group cows by calf age and pull the bulls when the calves hit 4-5 months old.

i had a 2 month old heifer standing for a mature bull last year. looked like he was getting some good penetration too. no calf though (yay.)

Latest posts