30-year-old wooden cattle handling facility

Help Support CattleToday:

That is a cool squeeze chute. They must be some pretty mellow cattle. Those fences are not very tall. All the old stuff around here is a solid 6' maybe 7'.

The bad thing is 30 yrs old is only 1985. :) We just recently replaced a set my dad put in as a kid.

I have always liked a good set of wooden pens. They are just so time consuming to build, right.

joeu235":9ntowiin said:
must be some kind of tropical hardwood not found the the US.
Lignum Vitae?
(It's a very hard, tropical, very very dense & naturally self lubricated wood still used today in big ship and submarine propeller shaft for sealing bushings. I learned about it while on the USS Paul F Foster--DD964. It is also one of the most expensive woods in the world.)
lignum-vitae-bearings-02.jpg

Our pens we built are 22 years old, the rest of the corrals (getting rough now) are 35.. all made from douglas fir.. one of the hardest 'softwoods' I know... House was built in 1936 and the nailgun will turn nails into noodles if you try nailing it.. especially where there's a knot.. Perhaps a Hilti gun would work there. I predrilled and screwed most everything I had to mess with while renovating

Latest posts