30 Acres Fenced with barb.

Help Support CattleToday:

Welcome!!!!!! You are asking great questions that are definately welcome to the Beginners Board. Please, feel free to contact me at any time with any questions you might have. I will PM you with some advice I may have about getting started. Good Luck!!!

And.........Merry Christmas!!!! :tiphat:

Wow this one is a hot topic this morning.... :eek:

30 fenced in acres? Sounds like a nice start. I would consider dividing the acrage into sections. Halves/quarters/ etc. You can use either electric fence or barbed. And then rotational graze, no matter how many cows you have.

My parrents bought a "40" up the road about 14 years ago. The old man that owned it had a handfull of animals on it. He had maybe four cows, perhaps a goat. Those few animals were on the whole thing constantly, and therefore wrecked the pasture.

They over grazed parts, and left other parts to grow up into buck brush. It didn't help that the old man didn't maintain the property much either.

It took us about 10 years to get the pasture looking proper again. We pastured the whole entire pasture as well, hard for two weeks then left it sit idle for the rest of the year. With yearly soil testing, fertilizer, over seeding bare areas, and mowing, as well as tree trimming, we eventually had a respectable pasture that would easily support a much larger herd than what we had to start.

So starting off, I would not overlook a good bush hog, a sprayer, and some portable fencing.

How many head you property can support all depends on how much suppliment you plan to feed, and geography, and your local climate. Its easier to start out small, and then work your way up.

Good luck, and tell the family happy holidays! :tiphat:

What sort of water source do you have? Will it freeze in winter and go dry in summer? Another MAJOR issue is safety. Cattle are big. In the right circumstances, they'll hurt you, they'll hurt your kids, your dog and your parents. Be very careful around them, especially until they get used to you and yours.

1st off i want to say we have quiet a few crusty old cattlemen on this board.an you have to take them with a grain of salt.30acs of pasture is a good start.good fences an a lean to a big plus.1st off where are you located.30acs should carry 10 or 15 cows plus a bull.see what kind of grasses you have on that pasture.as said do you have a pool on that place.

bigbull338":txi1d1wn said:
1st off i want to say we have quiet a few crusty old cattlemen on this board.an you have to take them with a grain of salt.30acs of pasture is a good start.good fences an a lean to a big plus.1st off where are you located.30acs should carry 10 or 15 cows plus a bull.see what kind of grasses you have on that pasture.as said do you have a pool on that place.

There is a Pond to the Northest of the property right beside the Tree-line. Its about 15 yrads long and 10 yards wide.. Stays full year round. Has Catfish in it. Dont know if that matters or not. Parents use to use it for watering the horses.

Frankie":3t277e4z said:
What sort of water source do you have? Will it freeze in winter and go dry in summer? Another MAJOR issue is safety. Cattle are big. In the right circumstances, they'll hurt you, they'll hurt your kids, your dog and your parents. Be very careful around them, especially until they get used to you and yours.

There is a small pnd that stays wet year round. Never freezes. Its about 6 to 8 feet deep.

ToddFarmsInc":3tuvidps said:
Wow this one is a hot topic this morning.... :eek:

30 fenced in acres? Sounds like a nice start. I would consider dividing the acrage into sections. Halves/quarters/ etc. You can use either electric fence or barbed. And then rotational graze, no matter how many cows you have.

My parrents bought a "40" up the road about 14 years ago. The old man that owned it had a handfull of animals on it. He had maybe four cows, perhaps a goat. Those few animals were on the whole thing constantly, and therefore wrecked the pasture.

They over grazed parts, and left other parts to grow up into buck brush. It didn't help that the old man didn't maintain the property much either.

It took us about 10 years to get the pasture looking proper again. We pastured the whole entire pasture as well, hard for two weeks then left it sit idle for the rest of the year. With yearly soil testing, fertilizer, over seeding bare areas, and mowing, as well as tree trimming, we eventually had a respectable pasture that would easily support a much larger herd than what we had to start.

So starting off, I would not overlook a good bush hog, a sprayer, and some portable fencing.

How many head you property can support all depends on how much suppliment you plan to feed, and geography, and your local climate. Its easier to start out small, and then work your way up.

Good luck, and tell the family happy holidays! :tiphat:

There is a farm down the road that grazes maybe 25 cattle, mom just told me about them. I will head down there and see the guy tommorrow and see what he is plaining on doing with his, maybe I can get an ideal of what would work for me. Cause if he is doing it I may be able to find out what best suits my area around here. He is the only person I know now that does cattle around here. Is there anyway you can pasture feed cattle year round it doesnt frost to bad here. We hardly get snow anymore?

Hoppy72450":3nmy98b8 said:
There is a farm down the road that grazes maybe 25 cattle, mom just told me about them. I will head down there and see the guy tommorrow and see what he is plaining on doing with his, maybe I can get an ideal of what would work for me. Cause if he is doing it I may be able to find out what best suits my area around here. He is the only person I know now that does cattle around here. Is there anyway you can pasture feed cattle year round it doesnt frost to bad here. We hardly get snow anymore?
I am not recommending you go into the grass fed business. That would have to be your choice. If you do some research they have a lot of good info. on their literature about managing pasture and sustainable beef production.
Watch this and several other videos he has on U-Tube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4xQ5P7l ... re=related

novatech":3nndq48s said:
Hoppy72450":3nndq48s said:
I am not recommending you go into the grass fed business. That would have to be your choice. If you do some research they have a lot of good info. on their literature about managing pasture and sustainable beef production.
Watch this and several other videos he has on U-Tube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4xQ5P7l ... re=related
Thats a good video shows some nice profits for Grass fed cattle too.

Apparently My education made me smart enough to read... Unlike you my friend... I said wife was willing to work too, we will see what happens. This would mean apparently it is something she wants to do..Right ? If your clothes have holes - bye new one's,, If your teeth are bad -go to a dentist! Maybe there will be free Health care one day. Then you will be good to go and get some teeth.. How old are you ? You said Newb.. Who says that but kids ? Or disgruntled World of Warcraft Players... And how would my wife be supporting my Hobby ? Seeing how I work ? Witch I would almost guarentee I make more then you if I dont have holes in my clothes.. I wasnt the one who started being rude you was. I asked b4 I started off, because I am New to the game. So naturally I would need help I am sure you wasnt born knowing it all. Even though your old age would make you assume you do know it all by the way you talk. I never said I was smarter then anyone or inferred that my education makes me smarter then you.. And the only Idiots I know of are the one's I put away everyday..Too keep old disgruntled people such as yourself happy :)

MERRY CHRISTMAS ! BEZ :clap:

hoppy72450, i was like you last summer, a newbie. i am from the city and originated in los angeles. eventually, i move to the state of washington. initially, i fenced my acreages(the most important thing with four point barb-wires to restrain cattles from jumping over and preventing or irritating your neighbors), raised beef steers and sold to an auction. i purchased my steers and heifer cattles at an auction but you needs to know that there are bad or good buys(need to know BCS(body condition score), structure, and their temperaments.......). i chosed that option to get my feet wet. luckily, i had a barn and stored my water in the barn during hot summer, where the cattle can get refuge and not loose weight from the heat.

in regard to machinery, i waited and advices to save your money like the board's recommends. i have 100 acreage and have been tempted to purchase several machinery for hay. with this economy, cash is king, and we don't know how bad the recession will last.

currently, i have purchase cows'(8 black agnus) that are bred to calves with great temperament. these cows are mid-age(around6-7) and have calves before without giving me any complications, such as dystocia. purchased them as a group but they are great and weighed around 1400lbs. i will eventually purchased young heifers to breed and expand my herds but require a lot works and readings to prevent complication from calving(epd,birth weight,and calving ease).

my background is a dentist from usc and did not come from a legacy family. i chosed living in the farm and wanted to learn where foods originate.

they are good peoples in these boards such as benz, dunn, and so on............... they mean well.. this business is hard works and require a lot time and patient. you will learned from their mistakes. eventhough i have read many animal journals, their advises are far superior than the books, journal, and articles that you will read. you will need a lot of help. happy holidays every one in the boards

I thought about waiting on the Livestock and maybe just getting the Pastures up. So I can graze year round. Seeing how it doesnt get to cold around here. Not sure If I can do that or not if anyone from this area does it plz reply. Thinking of adding Clover to the pastures. Get it where its real thick and lush. So that eventually i can run more cattle Per Acre. Or Just starting out with Goats that would help get ride of some of the fallen branchs from the Freeze Blackout we had last winter.. There are alot of small trees and shrubs still down on the land. I have used my chainsaw to get ride of alot of the bigger stuff. Maybe it will all work out great when I start... I hope :D

Hoppy72450":11b616gk said:
We hardly get snow anymore?

OH OH, now you've jinxed it.

With decent grass managment you should be able to stockpile adequate forage to keep you going through most of the winter. I'm assuming you're in the fescue belt. If you don;t know your grass types, check with either the local university extension or your local USDA NRCS office for help

[quote

There is a farm down the road that grazes maybe 25 cattle, mom just told me about them. I will head down there and see the guy tommorrow and see what he is plaining on doing with his, maybe I can get an ideal of what would work for me. Cause if he is doing it I may be able to find out what best suits my area around here. He is the only person I know now that does cattle around here. Is there anyway you can pasture feed cattle year round it doesnt frost to bad here. We hardly get snow anymore?[/quote]

Now you're on to something. If the guy has been running cattle for awhile he is the one you want to start with. I bet he would be more than willing to help out a guy trying to get started. Won't hurt to talk with him and see. Welcome to the boards.

fitz

Hoppy72450":30cyj9yq said:
I thought about waiting on the Livestock and maybe just getting the Pastures up. :D
:nod: :nod: :nod:
Good thinking. Now start making it happen.
Clover is basically a spring crop. So you still have a little time to put it in if you don't already have good native. Don't forget to let it seed out so you don't have to replant next year.
Clover is God's gift to a good pasture. Makes it easy on the pocket book too.

PS I like your idea of a few goats. A little diversity can go a long way as far as pasture is concerned.

Hoppy72450":zbrphahg said:
Apparently My education made me smart enough to read... Unlike you my friend... I said wife was willing to work too, we will see what happens. This would mean apparently it is something she wants to do..Right ? If your clothes have holes - bye new one's,, If your teeth are bad -go to a dentist! Maybe there will be free Health care one day. Then you will be good to go and get some teeth.. How old are you ? You said Newb.. Who says that but kids ? Or disgruntled World of Warcraft Players... And how would my wife be supporting my Hobby ? Seeing how I work ? Witch I would almost guarentee I make more then you if I dont have holes in my clothes.. I wasnt the one who started being rude you was. I asked b4 I started off, because I am New to the game. So naturally I would need help I am sure you wasnt born knowing it all. Even though your old age would make you assume you do know it all by the way you talk. I never said I was smarter then anyone or inferred that my education makes me smarter then you.. And the only Idiots I know of are the one's I put away everyday..Too keep old disgruntled people such as yourself happy :)

MERRY CHRISTMAS ! BEZ :clap:

Wow. You are over the top. Bez may be a bit of a grouch sometimes but he is not mean and hateful. Your lack of spelling skill and style of writing is not easy to read. I really don't care if you are used to texting (it has an "e" in it).
At least Bez can spell and write a sentence.

Hoppy72450":zbrphahg said:
O deffinetly not in it for money. I make alright money doing what I do. Supports me and the family just fine.. After i start My wife may have to work not sure depends on what happens. She is willing to do whatever.. I am doing it to teach my kids good values and the pride that comes from a job well done. Along with something to leave them a Legacy so to speak. Something that will be here for yrs to come.. Lands going no where it doesnt get old and fall apart and it outlasts everything I can give them or teach them besides God :)

I can read too. And you wrote: After i start My wife may have to work not sure depends on what happens.

You did not indicate whether or not that meant help with the livestock or work outside of the home to provide income to help support your livestock venture. Your remark gave me the impression like another that she would be working outside of the home.

I am a mom of 5 ages 17 to 25. I am fortunate that I do not have to work outside of the home and was able to raise my children without them having to go to a daycare. I certainly hope that you meant that your wife would be helping with the livestock and staying at home with the kids.

One thought about your pond. A well and water trough is better for the animals. Many people fence their ponds to keep the cattle out of it. Some cattle will stand in the water, poop and pee in it and basically make the pond a very nasty place. We have a friend who has a fine pond with catfish. His cattle do not have access to it.

Whether or not you can graze 'year round depends on your grasses. We live on the Texas Gulf Coast near Houston. Our grass goes dormant in the winter even though it is short sleeve weather. We plant wheat and feed hay. We don't have a lot of cattle (7 head and four calves), mostly horses (12 head). We do not have a bull. My husband breeds our cattle AI. We have always lived on our farm and because of that, all of the cattle and horses that we have owned over the years have been gentle because of the kids. A bad attitude guarantees a quick trip to the auction barn.

It is a good idea to wait until next year to get your stock. That will give you time to get everything set up and in place. When we bought this place 17 years ago, we owned it a year before we moved onto it. It had been farmed and we had to start from scratch. One thing that helped us was that we had storage buildings and a small barn that could be moved (WW Stalls w/ roof). We built a larger barn (50' x 48') with pens in the back.

PS. I have to ask, are you posting from a phone?

Well lets just start off clean. No more putting others down or anything. Cause its not right anyways to talk about other people and there familys when we dont know each other for nothing. So Sorry to Bez and to anyone affended and My spelling will be always half azz because this is a board and I dont need to be perfect :) I'm not at the station I am on boards so lets have fun and more info the merry :)

Does anyone know anything about chickens fertilizeing the ground. Like a smal coop on the ground that you just move from day to day across the areas that are the worst ? I was thinking maybe doing that and goats the get the land up a bit and then come Late Feb. start planting more clover maybe. Noticed today the fence on the northeast was messed up bad the Ground is really soggy and wet and the pole that holdiong the Barb wire is leaning towards the road alot looks like something Has been useing it as a balance beam to walk acroos it and get on the gravel. Was thinking of Dragging the Pond and placeing Lime in it to make it look more pleasing can that hurt the Livestock from drinking out of it. Or is there a way to keep it clean enough for them to drink out of ? I also seen a post on here somewhere talking about storeing hay and you cant store it outside un covered or end to end.. The guy here at the butcher house he has all his sitting outside all year round and uncovered how does it hurt it ? Or does it waste more or what ?

Thanks!

Latest posts