30 Acres Fenced with barb.

Help Support CattleToday:

I have been reading all your posts and after the last one my thought is, ( Are you for real or someone pulling everyone's leg) ??????????

If there are any chicken houses (the type that raise broilers or roasters) in your area, you can buy litter from them and have it spread. Some egg places sell it too. Trying to fertilizer with chickens in a coop will defeat your purpose. The chickens will scratch and kill whatever grass that is in the coop.

If you are planning to keep goats, you will need to re-fence your place with sheep & goat field fence. Barb wire will not hold them.

This site has resources about sheep & goats:

http://animalscience.tamu.edu/academics/sheep-goats/publications/index.htm

Your extension agent may be able to help you with your pond management.

The moderators should be able to tell if Bez is having fun by checking the IP address.

I am not BEZ! Why would I be BEZ and talking crap to myself ? We dont even spell the same or even act the same.. Apparently I am not the same person or BEZ would had apologised to hisself wouldnt he ? the 72450 Is the Zip code where I live at so apparently I wouldnt be him how would he know the zip code to where I live. If you dont beleive then dont post simple and easy :)

chippie said:
If there are any chicken houses (the type that raise broilers or roasters) in your area, you can buy litter from them and have it spread. Some egg places sell it too. Trying to fertilizer with chickens in a coop will defeat your purpose. The chickens will scratch and kill whatever grass that is in the coop.
I had just seen it on Youtube a Guy in this area made a video showing how he moves his chickens or ducks around in a small 1 1/2 foot tall Chicken Fenced in Box and he moves it like once a day or maybe twice. And says it puts nutrients back in the soil and says since there moved around alot it doesnt give the mites or stuff that gets on them time to multiple from the ground to another.. Or something like that. The guy has really nice grrazing feilds. And he grazes year round. Until He cant for some reason then he feeds them corn silage or something similar :)

Do you have the time to move the chickens several times a day? Seems like an awful lot of work for very little return.
I can't imagine moving the chicken tractor over 30 acres. It would take forever.

But to each his own....

chippie":3rll54gd said:
Do you have the time to move the chickens several times a day? Seems like an awful lot of work for very little return.
I can't imagine moving the chicken tractor over 30 acres. It would take forever.

But to each his own....
Your right I dont have the time. Bez said something about starting out with chickens. How hard or easy is that and whats the process exactly ? I mean How many chickens you get b4 you sell them is there an age ? And who byes chickens in arkansas. I mean I could care less to make money but as the chickens start to make chics then more and more add up. And what do you do with all those chickens..lol

I to live in northeast Arkansas, and I know of no pasture in this part of the state that will support cattle year round without supplemental feeding. In case you don't know, frost is not what causes perennial grasses and trees to go dormant, its daylight or lack there of. Frost only hastens dormancy. Clover will only grow in this area in the spring with ample rain, come late June its gone. There are winter grasses that can be sowed for ground cover and grazing, but with limited daylight they usually will not support heavy grazing and are annuals so they will have to be replanted every year. If you do not cut your lawn in winter the grass is not growing.

As someone else said, look at purchasing local cattle from an individual. They will be acclimated to your area and you will have someone to refer any questions. Ask the guy down the road if you can help him so you can learn. Do it for free, the experience is worth allot and in a few months you will know if you are cut out for the job of doing it alone.

upfrombottom":3p59lkt7 said:
I to live in northeast Arkansas, and I know of no pasture in this part of the state that will support cattle year round without supplemental feeding. In case you don't know, frost is not what causes perennial grasses and trees to go dormant, its daylight or lack there of. Frost only hastens dormancy. Clover will only grow in this area in the spring with ample rain, come late June its gone. There are winter grasses that can be sowed for ground cover and grazing, but with limited daylight they usually will not support heavy grazing and are annuals so they will have to be replanted every year. If you do not cut your lawn in winter the grass is not growing.

As someone else said, look at purchasing local cattle from an individual. They will be acclimated to your area and you will have someone to refer any questions. Ask the guy down the road if you can help him so you can learn. Do it for free, the experience is worth allot and in a few months you will know if you are cut out for the job of doing it alone.

What town/city are your from ?

Hoppy72450":1gbidxqu said:
Your right I dont have the time. Bez said something about starting out with chickens. How hard or easy is that and whats the process exactly ? I mean How many chickens you get b4 you sell them is there an age ? And who byes chickens in arkansas. I mean I could care less to make money but as the chickens start to make chics then more and more add up. And what do you do with all those chickens..lol
Chicken and dumplings come to mind......... Fried chicken would be OK too. :)

I don't get the idea from Bez to work and learn for 3 years before getting an animal. Is it really that complicated?

You need animals to motivate you.

Go get a couple steer calves now. Put them in a small pen and start learning. The first two things they need are food and water, then maybe shelter.

Maybe add a cow next year, then more.

chippie":e3perouc said:
One thought about your pond. A well and water trough is better for the animals. Many people fence their ponds to keep the cattle out of it. Some cattle will stand in the water, poop and pee in it and basically make the pond a very nasty place. We have a friend who has a fine pond with catfish. His cattle do not have access to it.

I concure. I have 20 ponds on my property. (one for every pasture and field that can be grazed) The cows have access to all but one pond, that is the closest one to my house. That one I just had rebuilt with the work completed just a year ago. I have stocked that pond and that one is mine for recreation. The cows are fenced off of that pond with an electric fence. They will make a mess out of the pond. They will stand around on the pond dam, and break down the dirt, and muddy up the shore line, and use the pond as a bathroom. However, if your cows are always being rotated like mine are, they are only on a pond for a couple weeks out of the year. That give the ponds the rest of the year to settle out and firm up and so forth.

However the winter lot will hold the cattle for three months. The two ponds in that lot are wrecked beyond repair, and I sure wouldn't be interetested in eating any fish from those. One of these days I am going to get motivated to putting in a large concrete slab and a stock tank below the largest pond for the cows to drink out of, then there will be another new fence going in.... around that pond.

One other benifit of not having the cows in the pond in the winter is avoiding them falling through the ice looking for water. If they have a stock tank they are used to drinking out of with free flowing water, they won't go looking for harder to get to water below a frozen pond.

chippie also":e3perouc said:
Whether or not you can graze 'year round depends on your grasses. We live on the Texas Gulf Coast near Houston. Our grass goes dormant in the winter even though it is short sleeve weather. We plant wheat and feed hay. We don't have a lot of cattle (7 head and four calves), mostly horses (12 head). We do not have a bull. My husband breeds our cattle AI. We have always lived on our farm and because of that, all of the cattle and horses that we have owned over the years have been gentle because of the kids. A bad attitude guarantees a quick trip to the auction barn.

That sounds like great advice to me. All my mean tempered cows get wheels under them pretty fast. I don't mind a cow that's motherly with a new born, in fact I expect it, but the mean streak need to go away when the calves are a month old.

chippie then":e3perouc said:
It is a good idea to wait until next year to get your stock. That will give you time to get everything set up and in place. When we bought this place 17 years ago, we owned it a year before we moved onto it. It had been farmed and we had to start from scratch. One thing that helped us was that we had storage buildings and a small barn that could be moved (WW Stalls w/ roof). We built a larger barn (50' x 48') with pens in the back....

I concure.

It's nice to have things ready to go before moving in the livestock. I have done that with my chickens. ( just a hoby chicken rancher, about 30 bird for my own enjoyment) I spent a full year with constructing the brooding house, and chicken yard before I got any birds. I remember my dad doing it backwards with his hog operation.... and I think it sure would have been easier to had the facilities in first before the hogs.