30 Acres Fenced with barb.

Help Support CattleToday:

Hoppy72450

Reaction score
I am New and I decided to live in the country I got 30 Acres from my parents and its all Fenced in Mostly Pasture but about 5 Acres of Woods. I am really into farming well Seeing it done on Youtube and in Real Life. I am more into the Livestock part. I was wondering what would be good to start off with, not knowing much and not haveing alot of money to put out on it >? A Few Cattle or what- Birthing, Beef Cattle, Feedlot etc.. Goats or sheep.. Something that will give me a feel for it all, without going to far in and over my head. My Neighbor Bails hay and sells it so there is where I can get some if I need it.. I would eventually like to get to running a I guess like Birthing where you let them roam and kinda let the cattle fed themselves and sell them as you get more. Whats that called ? Sorry If I affended anyone with knowing so less. My parents said if thats what I really want to do I need to get a part time job with a Cattle Farm but I live in Northeast Arkansas thats kinda hard around here unless you want to drive an hour to go there.
Any Help would be appreicated :)

Hoppy72450":3a6mp0mh said:
I am New and I decided to live in the country I got 30 Acres from my parents and its all Fenced in Mostly Pasture but about 5 Acres of Woods. I am really into farming well Seeing it done on Youtube and in Real Life. I am more into the Livestock part. I was wondering what would be good to start off with, not knowing much and not haveing alot of money to put out on it >? A Few Cattle or what- Birthing, Beef Cattle, Feedlot etc.. Goats or sheep.. Something that will give me a feel for it all, without going to far in and over my head. My Neighbor Bails hay and sells it so there is where I can get some if I need it.. I would eventually like to get to running a I guess like Birthing where you let them roam and kinda let the cattle fed themselves and sell them as you get more. Whats that called ? Sorry If I affended anyone with knowing so less. My parents said if thats what I really want to do I need to get a part time job with a Cattle Farm but I live in Northeast Arkansas thats kinda hard around here unless you want to drive an hour to go there.

Help is usless without info.

You - How old, married, kids, single, working, on welfare, educated, wants and needs, future plans and so no.

You already started off with a gift of free land and are passing off an excuse which tells me you need to get your act together - lots of people drive further and do not complain - so that cuts no ice with anyone on this board but you - so stop with the very lame excuse of "it is too far".

You want it you have to work - not be a lazy azz.

Otherwise - for all we know you are a millionaire with an expensive habit

Go work for your neighbour for three years before you spend a penny - that will smarten you up a bit and help you make your decisions.

Otherwise you could listen to 100 different pieces of advice on these boards and learn nothing.

Regards

[Bez]

Well I am 29 yrs old 2 kids, 4 and 7 Married and Yes I am educated and work. I have a 4 yr Crim-Jus. Degree. And I never said I got a gift.. I said I have 30 Acres of Land that doesnt mean It was given to me. So stop makeing Assumptions. And If I was a millionaire with an Exspensive habit why would I be asking help from someone with a name like Cowhand which obviously shows they have no education.<---Sorry that was too much >< Instead wouldnt I of just payed someone to teach me it all.. Use your brain. And I didnt post on this board to hear someone be an azz. So if you have nothing better to say then trying to cut someone down for trying to start a hobby that he hopes he can turn to a full time living one day, then dont post a reply. At least if your going to be an azz learn how to spell it first :p

hoppy you want make any friends or get any help on here if you act like that bez was just trying to help and tell you need to specify things.....

Its kinda hard to take that as help. Did you read what he/she wrote ? Sounded pretty derogatory to me.. Maybe its just me but I took it the wrong way, just asking for some help is all. Not trying to get put down for trying something new. It would be like someone asking for help as a Detective or a Police Officer and I put something like that. Knowing that the section says BEGINNERS BOARD ? Right.. just saying he/she could had been more pleasent instead of so hateful sounding. If I was wrong then I apologize BEZ.. Not trying to rub anyone the wrong way, just dont want to be treated wrong either.

Macon spent alot of time and money the last few weeks to retain the memory of the posts with tons of info for you ,and you will find that alot of those posts are done by a few folks who have cowhand by their name ..

You really interested in learning ?????????

Spend the next few weeks reading boards doing some searches from the onset of folks like Bez etc. ,cattle Annie, dun and so many many others search search search and when you have a specific question come back and ask, no one here is being an #ss to you especially not Bez he calls it like it is. Do some homework besides you tube and come back and ask and I am sure you will get a lot of great educated help.

BTW welcome to the boards.. :tiphat:

First off, "Cowhand" is not the poster's name but rank according to how many posts he has written.

Hoppy,
Your capitalization, punctuation and lack of punctuation made your initial post difficult to read. It was all over the place.

I suggest you talk to your County Extension Agent about what you want to do. He/she should have resources for you and be able to answer your questions such as how many cows per acre you can run and how to set up your pens and cross fencing.

I recommend that you buy Storey's Guide to Raising Beef Cattle before you do anything. You can buy it at Amazon.com

There are some helpful publications at this site:

http://animalscience.tamu.edu/academics/beef/publications/index.htm

Also, think about how much money you have to invest in your venture. Besides the cost of the cattle, you will need some sort of pens for working the cattle, Mineral feeders, a truck and trailer are always helpful, a place to store hay for the winter and money for routine veterinary care and animal maintenance. There was a post here a while back about how much a person spent to maintain one cow per year.

A good cattleman will check his stock daily. Throwing the cattle out in the pasture to do their thing is very poor management practice. Taking care of livestock requires time and only you know whether or not your work schedule will allow you to do the job properly.

Good luck.

Hoppy72450":3e0con4c said:

Jeeze, I can't believe the rude way you're being treated on this board. BEZ has especially been bad tempered for the last few days. But calling people names won't get you any help on this board.

First, welcome to the boards. I'll throw in a few comments and see if some better tempered people will help us out.

There are lots of routes in the cattle business. Generally if you own cows and they have calves that you sell at weaning (after they're old enough to be eating grass/grain on their own), it's called a cow-calf operation. Some people buy those weaned calves (called stockers) and run them on grass or grain for a few weeks/months and sell them. They're called stocker operators and might not even own a cow, just buy the calves and put some weight/growth on them and sell them to the feedlot if they're heavy enough to go there. Feedlot operators feed cattle until they're "ready" to be slaughtered.

You'll always need some handling facilities like corrals, load outs, etc. Squeeze chutes are good to get cattle up for med treatment, dehorning, etc. Perhaps a barn to store feed/hay.

Cattle need to eat year 'round. but grass doesn't grow year 'round. You need to check with your local extension office and find out how many cattle can live on your 35 acres. In our area, it's 8-12 acres per animal unit (cow-calf pair), but in areas with improved pastures, good rains or irrigation, you might be able to run more head. But you need to talk to local people to know. Cattle need to be checked regularly to be sure they're healthy and not injured.

There's probably a cattleman's group in your area that meets a few times a year and has someone discuss herd health programs (a group of cows is called a herd), animal nutrition, marketing, etc. Your extension office will be able to help you there, too. I'm going to post a link to the Oklahoma State University "Cow-Calf Corner" library. Take some time to read through stuff there. I'd guess that Arkansas State University has a similar web site that might help you.

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/exten/cc-corner/archive.htm

Raising cattle isn't rocket science and, in spite of what some people think, none of us were born knowing what we know today about cattle. We learned. You can, too, but there are pitfalls to be avoided, if possible. There's not a lot of money in any part of the beef industry, but it is fun and rewarding. So get busy reading and see what you think.

A good barbed wire fence won't contain goats.

Well I have a Truck 4X4 chevy, also have a Lean-too on the Property that houses Hay if needed.. Parents said that they had a person come out and check for something to do with soil and compaction and how much I can feed off an acre. If I remmber correctly it is about (2 Acres a Head) Not positive I have to check with them again I know its real lush with clover and grass Thick too. There is also a well on the property, I havent put a Home on the property yet. I was plaining on Buying an offset acre next to it, but a friend of the family owns it so I will have to see if he is willing to sell it. Also I am used to txting so I usally dont take the time to spell alot of things so thats my fault. If I am missing on any information just ask for it I will be glad to share. But right now I am just doing some researching and I was pointed to this forum or site by a friend.

Frankie":pxeupadw said:
Hoppy72450":pxeupadw said:

Jeeze, I can't believe the rude way you're being treated on this board. BEZ has especially been bad tempered for the last few days. But calling people names won't get you any help on this board.

First, welcome to the boards. I'll throw in a few comments and see if some better tempered people will help us out.

There are lots of routes in the cattle business. Generally if you own cows and they have calves that you sell at weaning (after they're old enough to be eating grass/grain on their own), it's called a cow-calf operation. Some people buy those weaned calves (called stockers) and run them on grass or grain for a few weeks/months and sell them. They're called stocker operators and might not even own a cow, just buy the calves and put some weight/growth on them and sell them to the feedlot if they're heavy enough to go there. Feedlot operators feed cattle until they're "ready" to be slaughtered.

You'll always need some handling facilities like corrals, load outs, etc. Squeeze chutes are good to get cattle up for med treatment, dehorning, etc. Perhaps a barn to store feed/hay.

Cattle need to eat year 'round. but grass doesn't grow year 'round. You need to check with your local extension office and find out how many cattle can live on your 35 acres. In our area, it's 8-12 acres per animal unit (cow-calf pair), but in areas with improved pastures, good rains or irrigation, you might be able to run more head. But you need to talk to local people to know. Cattle need to be checked regularly to be sure they're healthy and not injured.

There's probably a cattleman's group in your area that meets a few times a year and has someone discuss herd health programs (a group of cows is called a herd), animal nutrition, marketing, etc. Your extension office will be able to help you there, too. I'm going to post a link to the Oklahoma State University "Cow-Calf Corner" library. Take some time to read through stuff there. I'd guess that Arkansas State University has a similar web site that might help you.

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/exten/cc-corner/archive.htm

Raising cattle isn't rocket science and, in spite of what some people think, none of us were born knowing what we know today about cattle. We learned. You can, too, but there are pitfalls to be avoided, if possible. There's not a lot of money in any part of the beef industry, but it is fun and rewarding. So get busy reading and see what you think.

A good barbed wire fence won't contain goats.

This was a nice post ty. Thats what i am talking about nice people, no need to get mad at new people. Everyone has to start off somewhere.

Hoppy72450":3gcodsdr said:
Well I have a Truck 4X4 chevy, also have a Lean-too on the Property that houses Hay if needed.. Parents said that they had a person come out and check for something to do with soil and compaction and how much I can feed off an acre. If I remmber correctly it is about 2 Acres a Head Not positive I have to check with them again. There is also a well on the property, I havent put a Home on the property yet. I was plaining on Buying an offset acre next to it, but a friend of the family owns it so I will have to see if he is willing to sell it. Also I am used to txting so I usally dont take the time to spell alot of things so thats my fault. If I am missing on any information just ask for it I will be glad to share. But right now I am just doing some researching and I was pointed to this forum or site by a friend.

Everyone does have to start from somewhere. But if you don't have time to write a complete sentence, why would expect someone to take their time to respond to your questions? :)

If you are getting into the cattle busness a cowhand is what you will need to become and advice from a real cowhand will be way more helpful than advice from someone thats never seen one. You have already got some good advice here, try to make use of that and we will give you some more.

Thank You! For all the comments. This is what kinda help I was looking for :)

now where on the right track and dont feel like your asking dumb questions like many do because we all had to start somewhere.........best wishes

If you are dead set on starting now and "learning as you go", I strongly suggest you start with just a few cows. Get some older cows who know how to take care of a calf. Do NOT, under any circumstances, start with heifers. Heifers are young females who have never had a calf yet. That is not the way to learn, too many problems for a beginner. Don't let anyone talk you into it, no matter what kind of deal they offer. Also, if you are getting into this for the money, you are in for a suprise. Not much money in it. For many people there is no money in it at all, depends on your situation. Money or not,...once you see your baby calves bucking around the pasture and head-butting each other, you'll be hooked. Good luck, and welcome.

Hoppy72450":2zao9jn2 said:
...And If I was a millionaire with an Exspensive habit why would I be asking help from someone with a name like Cowhand which obviously shows they have no education...

Working with cattle, and people, goes much better with some humility...Cattle have a way of teaching you humility. If you are not sure what that is I suggest you look it up. It will serve you well in many different endeavors. Cowhand probably has a lot more education,really useful education, than you think. Good luck in your farming endeavor. Jim

SRBeef":3v6c5fze said:
Hoppy72450":3v6c5fze said:
...And If I was a millionaire with an Exspensive habit why would I be asking help from someone with a name like Cowhand which obviously shows they have no education...

Working with cattle, and people, goes much better with some humility...Cattle have a way of teaching you humility. If you are not sure what that is I suggest you look it up. It will serve you well in many different endeavors. Cowhand probably has a lot more education,really useful education, than you think. Good luck in your farming endeavor. Jim

I agree completely about the humility......

"You already started off with a gift of free land and are passing off an excuse which tells me you need to get your act together - lots of people drive further and do not complain - so that cuts no ice with anyone on this board but you - so stop with the very lame excuse of "it is too far".

You want it you have to work - not be a lazy azz."

Respect for Bez' knowledge and "telling it like it is", but this seems a bit rude to me as well.

O deffinetly not in it for money. I make alright money doing what I do. Supports me and the family just fine.. After i start My wife may have to work not sure depends on what happens. She is willing to do whatever.. I am doing it to teach my kids good values and the pride that comes from a job well done. Along with something to leave them a Legacy so to speak. Something that will be here for yrs to come.. Lands going no where it doesnt get old and fall apart and it outlasts everything I can give them or teach them besides God :)

Hoppy72450":j6964ylv said:
Well I am 29 yrs old 2 kids, 4 and 7 Married and Yes I am educated and work. I have a 4 yr Crim-Jus. Degree. And I never said I got a gift.. I said I have 30 Acres of Land that doesnt mean It was given to me. So stop makeing Assumptions. And If I was a millionaire with an Exspensive habit why would I be asking help from someone with a name like Cowhand which obviously shows they have no education.<---Sorry that was too much >< Instead wouldnt I of just payed someone to teach me it all.. Use your brain. And I didnt post on this board to hear someone be an azz. So if you have nothing better to say then trying to cut someone down for trying to start a hobby that he hopes he can turn to a full time living one day, then dont post a reply. At least if your going to be an azz learn how to spell it first :p

Try spelling azz on this board and see what happens to the word my newb friend. Perhaps that education did not make you as smart as you think you are. 8)

You make your wife go to work to support your hobby - well you are the idiot - sooner or later it will come back to haunt you - that you can take to the bank.

I am an uneducated old fat guy - missing most of his hair, missing a few teeth - some were taken without the use of a dentist, unlike you I was never afraid or too lazy to use distance as an excuse to go to work which is what you wrote.

I drive a rusted out truck, wear clothes with holes in them - never claimed to be educated or smart - but I manage to get by.

I got you a present though. You will see it in a few lines - best you raise chickens for a few years - make you more money and will not take up your wallet - and not likely to hurt your kids either. Go work for that hay producer for a while if you will not work for a cattle producer - it will teach you more than you think - and he is probably smarter than you - because if he screws up he goes hungry - you screw up - you just wait until the next pay cheque rolls in.

Do not spend a dime for a couple years - you can go broke saving money - but if you insist on being bull headed and starting out you can use most of this - try not to spend any money doing it - and always go first class with fences and grass - you may raise cows but you farm grass.

After all I am just a cow hand - what would I know?

Regards

[Bez]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Bez on Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:11 am

I do not know you and you do not know me – but I think I am going to keep this on file as my standard answer to this regular question.

You mention nothing about your esperience, or your infrastructure and so on – so there is some pretty basic stuff here that you need to know – if you do not – it's a learning day. If you do – then accept my apologies for boring you.

These are animals - not pets. They are tough, ornery, eating machines that one day will run you over and the next day look at you with a calmness that you cannot believe. They are one heck of a great hobby - that is how wife and I got started in the business years ago. Love 'em, but if you spoil 'em you will end up with problems.

As for breeds - well, any beef cow that can live in Canada can live in the U.S. of A. - some may do better than others - but darned near every breed you have down south is found in Canada. I happen to like the British breeds and run HH – but that does not mean you have to stay British. If you have the right kind of ground and the right kind of feed they will ALL do well.

Just remember this little tidbit ... and this is important - you probably do not have experience in breeding, calving and doctoring. Not a slur, just a fact - so find something that will not crush you when something goes wrong - and believe me, it sooner or later will.

Nearly all breeds do well - especially if they can be contained, sheltered, fed and watered. That's it in a nutshell. The rest is easy.

So get your grasss in order as well.

We all have our favourites - but who cares if you have a patchwork quilt of animals in the field - if they are solid, quiet animals with calves at side - well, be happy.

Go cheap. Go with pairs. Instant moms that are bred back. Go with quiet. Do not ask what breed – at this stage you had better not care - it is not important, walk in amongst them before you buy - if they are gone like deer - then forget them. If they jump, fight or run you - run for your truck. If they load hard - run for your truck and leave. If they are not vet checked and preg checked - with you present - run for your truck and put your money away for another day.

Split the call out fee – you pay vet bills for the ones you take – vendor pays for the ones you do not.
Go with mature to prevent calving probs and mothers who disown or kill their calves with starvation - not common, but it does happen. Go private - not sale barn - do not buy someone elses trouble – unless it is a TOTAL herd dispersal – and these can be real good sales to go to. Tell the owner you WILL be back if there are problems that may have been hidden. Get all their records - herd health, vaccinations, dates of birth, and so on. If those records are not available - run for your truck.

Look up my thread - Ding! Dong! Brindles Dead - and avoid any brindles like crazy - no matter what the breed. Perhaps I am just superstitious?

Find an old hand in your area - have him go with you and look at least 5 different outfits before you make up your mind - that way you have an idea of what you are up against. Bargain hard - know your price before you leave your own driveway and stick to it. Don't deviate - there are lots of really good animals out there for sale.

Have a good fence, SOLID FENCE IS BEST, some feed and water available when they show up at home - even quiet animals can become tornadoes for a day or two. If your penning area is small and poorly fenced, plan on searching for them for a couple of days before they settle in.

Others who back me – and I quickly found two – both know their stuff:

Craig-Tx wrote:
But if you're wanting a few cows that will pay their own way why not buy cheap pairs. Then you know she can calve. Buy young momma cows that look somewhat poor but sound. Or buy 6-8 year old sound cows with light calves at their sides. You will get a pair for $hundreds less than a fancy cow will cost and you'll be amazed at what she will look like next year if you've put her on good grass and taken care of her thru the winter. She might not be anything to brag about but you'll be in the money on her next calf. The same principle, with a little more risk, can be applied to young bred cows. And same for bulls.

Old Timer wrote:

Craig- I agree with you-- If you just want to run a few cows the best money is in buying a few older bred cows--many places cull them when they lose 1 tooth (sometimes only 4-5 years old) or hit 10 years of age-- Sell for $350- 500 as brokenmouths - Some of these cows have several years left in them if you have good pasture-- I've bought them over the years just to put on one good pasture I have and probably made more off them than some of the ones I raised-- Although this year those same cows that were selling for $400 are now selling for $800-900..... Might just have to run some of the old girls one more year on that pasture.

So, it looks like there are three of us in the same boat. Start slow and build. You have enough ground, but do you have enough experience and time to handle more than 10 – 15? A good number for a beginner with your ground available. Sell the excess hay for the first couple of years. Do not sell it until January – by then you'll know what you need for the remainder of the year.

If you plan to sell them - make sure that you are selling into an accepting crowd. As an example - if the area you are in loves that black hide, you will suffer with a dollar penalty by trying to sell red. In my area black AND red are guaranteed to sell 10 - 20 cents a pound less than a TAN colour. Go figure - if you take the clothes off of them 99% of producers could not tell you what breed they were. Do your homework. If you want to go "exotic" fine – be darned sure they are quiet and you can handle them.

Far as I am concerned - solid animal is good - but cheaper is better.

Calves all sell - you just want good 'uns. Healthy and lively.

Get all your fences and PENS in order FIRST!

Find a veterinarian and put the number on the fridge - you WILL need him / her someday - trust me on this and darned well do it asap!

Probably missed a few things – but you get the idea.

Go for it - have fun and welcome to an interesting life - that of a cattleman!

Regards

Bez

Dam, Bez, you been getting up on the wrong side of the bed lately? :???:

There's really no reason to be such an azz.