3 of my angus Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Nowland Farms

Reaction score
I had the digital camera out in the pasture yesterday a snapped a few pictures of my cows. Here are 3 pictures. They are not the best cattle in the world but I satisfied with them.

This cow is a 3 year old that I purchased about 6 weeks ago, she is due to calf in 01/03 with her second calf. Her 1st calf was a heifer and sold for $1350 when she was 9 months old at the sale.

img-0468_large.jpg

This cow is a 4 year old that I also purchased about 6 weeks ago at the same sale. She is due to calf her 3rd calf with in a couple of weeks. Her bull calf also sold for $1350 when he was 11 months at the same sale.

img-0469_large.jpg

Last but not least, this is my Bull. He is about 28 months old and about as laid back as they come but does take care of his ladies. He likes to be scratched between the eyes and likes the "Sweet Feed Treat" that they get once or twice a week to keep them friendly.

img-0470_large.jpg

They just love that MaxQ Fescue grass !!!! :D :D :D

do you have more than 2 cows to go with the bull?

bull has a good look. sorta like a teddy bear. :D

Cattle look real good. I like the first cow best. Really long hook to pin. I would criticize the second cow for having a real short rump structure, and LOOKS like she is lacking rear muscling, but has tons of volume.
Bull looks good, good straight topline.

Aero,

I have 7 cows to go with the bull. I will add another cow or two in year 2006.

I am looking into going the AI route when it is time to change the bull out. I am going over to a Angus farm in a few days to watch them AI. Looking to learn as much as I can so I can decide if I want to go that route.

I like e'm. Very nice pasture, fence and hills too. Good luck on your herd and AI program.

Thanks Guys.

I purchased these cows at the Alabama Angus Assoc sale on 11/12/05 hosted at the Cullman Stockyard in North Alabama. This is the URL for the Sale barn.
http://www.cullmanstockyard.com/

The Alabama Angus Association has a spring and a fall Angus sale.

I will probably have 5 angus calves at the sale next November. Might even take the bull to the spring sale if I go the AI route.

This should probably be on the beginner board but can someone please post a picture or give a good explanation of exactly where the hooks and pins are? I am beginning to look for depth, etc. and am still having a hard time grasping exactly what an ideal rear half should look like. I think I need to work on quite a few points on our herd like milk and muscle. Our herd is Angus/Hereford in case that helps. Thanks for the ever expanding wealth of knowledge here and everyone's generous gift of time.

Hooks and Pins:

Hooks the large bones that you see about 2/3 the way back on your cows up high close to the spine. The Hooks are the "start" of the rump.

Pins: the set of bones close to the exit end of your cows.

Terms "she is very level from her hooks to her pins" (A nice level rump).

"She slopes too much from her hooks to her pins" - Usually caused by or causes bad feet. In my experience cows that slope too much from their hooks to their pins tend to get their legs too far under them when they walk. I can not tell you which is the cause and which is the effect.

TK":37cf311c said:
This should probably be on the beginner board but can someone please post a picture or give a good explanation of exactly where the hooks and pins are? I am beginning to look for depth, etc. and am still having a hard time grasping exactly what an ideal rear half should look like. I think I need to work on quite a few points on our herd like milk and muscle. Our herd is Angus/Hereford in case that helps. Thanks for the ever expanding wealth of knowledge here and everyone's generous gift of time.
TK - You are in the right place at the right time to get a remarkable education relating to all phases of Beef Production. jscunn has just given you a fine explanation of "Hooks and Pins" and has done it very well. You are fortunate to be able to read and think and learn about Beef Cattle and the BUSINESS of raising them here on this Board and also on Ranchers.net, the other Forum on this site. Utilize them both.

Here is a link that will help you a great deal. Study the material on this link, and you will be right up there with the rest of the experienced breeders who share their knowledge here.

msucares.com/pubs/publications/P2289beef.pdf (found on google)

DOC HARRIS

Rod....you might want to keep the bull and start using A.I. You could use him to clean up the cows for those that do not take to the A.I. This would help ensure you are getting a calf each year. While improving your heard through A.I.

Very nice cows. They are all extremly deep bodied. If you go the rate that you are going, picking one or two quality ones at a time you will have a fantastic herd someday. Thanks Kaneranch.

Latest posts