3 brothers die after being stuck in manure pit

Help Support CattleToday:

Thats horrible way to die. I could joke but that's really terrible. 💔😥 I couldn't imagine all the people having to help clean them up the funeral home Lord bless them. Dirty job.

We all know the risks, sometimes you have to check on things in the pit.
Several years ago we had the shed full of cattle, hot, extremely humid. We started stirring the pit pretty soon the cattle started passing out.
Manure puts are nothing to fill with. Always have someone in the outside in case there's a problem.

Several years ago we had the shed full of cattle, hot, extremely humid. We started stirring the pit pretty soon the cattle started passing out.
Manure puts are nothing to fill with. Always have someone in the outside in case there's a problem.
Are oxygen masks generally available in those settings?

"Manure pits are common on large livestock farms, but they can produce dangerous gases including hydrogen sulfide and carbon monoxide."

Seems like these fellas should have known this and taken proper precautions. I'm sorry for the family's loss.
Hydrogen sulfide is one breath and your promised land bond.
Seen several over the years die from it in the "oil fields ".

Have someone on the outside, and have whoever goes in wear a harness with a rope. If a person passes out in the pit, don't go in after them, you'll meet the same fate.

Hydrogen sulfide has a rotten egg odor. It is detectable by smell at low levels. But, your sense of smell is overwhelmed by the odor in just a few minutes and you do not smell it any more even if it is still there. My work career was related to pulp and paper mills. It is a danger of the pulping process particularly where pulp has overflowed and accumulated in a poorly ventilated area. The surface sort of seals over as it drys, but when the material is disturbed, it can release the hydrogen sulfide quickly. Cleaning out an out of service tank is a hazard.
Sewage treatment systems and manure pits also produce it. In the industrial world, a hydrogen sulfide monitor would be required on each person as well as an air test of a tank or pit prior to entry. Farmers are generally not big on safety, but a monitor like this could save a life.

Hydrogen sulfide is one breath and your promised land bond.
Seen several over the years die from it in the "oil fields ".
A boy I knew growing up died when he stuck his head in the lid on a tank battery, was overcome by the fumes.

When I was hauling propane I was around a well that made my throat close up and cough horribly. The brass tank valves were corroded up pretty good, not a fun experience.

A boy I knew growing up died when he stuck his head in the lid on a tank battery, was overcome by the fumes.

When I was hauling propane I was around a well that made my throat close up and cough horribly. The brass tank valves were corroded up pretty good, not a fun experience.
Concentration gets high enough it's actually one breath.
I worked a unit that converted hydrogen sulfide back to organic sulfur.

Yes, I knew it was low level. It came from the exhaust of the engine, it made it's own gas, they used propane to circulate. Wind must've been just right that day, never had it happen there but once. It was enough for me.

Are oxygen masks generally available in those settings?
No. A cattle confinement is usually one on at least 1 side of the building for ventilation. A hog confinement is in closed with curtains, but they have put fans to pull the gas out of the pit.

Livestock confinement buildings are a great concept, but you have to be smart around them. Just like a grain bin.