2yo that bites

Help Support CattleToday:

I know horses and dogs are not the same.
and say what you like.

the um..."breeders" who gave me a QH filly tryed hobbles tied to the head. all that did is frek her out. and she did kick one other time. and it was my falt that the 4mo filly kicked me, she did not see me and I {dumb sh**} put my hand on her rump. I'm thinking but I don't know what was don the other time, after she kicked that is. she had wanted her feed. and I saw it coming and moved. after working with her a lot, she is now very calm, and just about a year old.

if you ever think I not on here cuz I'm, I just don't think about this bord all the time.

sorry but I'v got this stubern strek.

I see now what your say R.D. and...I'm sorry. just to let you know I could not even swing a 2x4. I'm-as most put it-tiny.

and I know it's a good thing he is small. but I'm doing my best to learn with this small stud.
I had not got to work him much {I was sore after the last rodeo} but I when out with him last night. he was not being pushy when I left.

Alan if you would be so kind as to tell me how am I off base in my thinking of how to handle a stud.
I have never rily had any one teach me how to handle any horse. and it looks like your all stuck with me.

but all I know is that when I lose my cool the Sh** hits the fan. that is why I have trained myself to stay so calm.
and my dad take a lot of pride in me, so I don't like to mess up.

I don't know if I'v said this but I'v had horses for about 18 years now. but they are calmer and older.

so come on keep sharing.

hope I did not come off like a you know what.

JP

BullBucker":2nnwr6s1 said:
Alan if you would be so kind as to tell me how am I off base in my thinking of how to handle a stud.
I have never rily had any one teach me how to handle any horse. and it looks like your all stuck with me.

Not a problem, thanks for clearing the air. Sounds like you know bulls pretty well and how dangerous they can be. Well in my opinion a stallion is worse just because 1 second they can look calm and normal then they get a look in their eye and turn to kill you with feet and teeth.

If your not planning on breeding the stud, he's best off and safest as a gelding.

You have gotten some good tips on this post. Another thing to remember is you have about 1 second to react to a horses actions, so they know what your reaction was for. Also, horses hate to back up, but to discpline you can also make the stud back up a few yards, not too fast it's hard on the legs.

Good luck,
Alan

I know that they don't like to back up, and befor posted on here thats what I was doing. I also back my yearling filly if she get pushy.
the first mare I plan to breed him to is my shetland mini cross, I keep that foal just as a pet. but I am looking for mini mares right now.
but if he passed on his bad habits, then are good odds I'll geld him.
he looks more like a mini draft. I got to see some for the first time last year. and I love drafts. so I'm looking for even hever mares.

one of the hard things with him is he is so short. he will move to the side with out a tuch, but to bach him, I have to push.

I like bulls better then calves. for fun last sunday they put me on one. and she {yes she} through me into the shoot. the helmet saved my face. I never been on any bad ones. but I know a few. but Big John {the stud} make most look like kitty cats.

JP

I agree with the others that say to geld him. You do not want those traits being passed to future generations.

In the meantime, get a piece of PVC pipe - 18 -24" long - 1 1/2 -2" diameter or so. Thread your lead line through it. I put a big honking knot in the lead line about 3' up to keep the pvc pipe from going too far up the line. This will enable you to keep your distance from his mouth. Sometimes a length of pvc pipe can be used to smack them too... makes SUCH a noise... ;-)

Put a clean halter on him and leave a length of lead (when he's standing with his head level, it should just reach the ground) attached. This is how you will get hold of him to attach the pipe lead to him, without putting your hands TOO close to his mouth.

Anytime he bites or misbehaves, you MUST reprimand within 3 seconds. YELL LOUDLY - growl, kick him in the side or chest with a rounded toe boot or sneaker (or the side of your foot if you've got pointed boots on) Kicking and snarling is just like another horse would do, lean into or step towards him. For 3 seconds ACT LIKE you are going to KILL HIM. No more.
(this goes for that filly that's kicking too)

If necessary - carry a dressage whip with a popper on the end I like dressage whips - they are nearly 4' long... I'm short - makes me taller and gives me 6' long arms!! and snap his chest or hip if he misbehaves (if you snap his hip, be ready for him to jump forward.. that's why I prefer the chest - makes them go backwards). WHEN he is GOOD, rub his withers, back, shoulders, with the whip and praise him. When he's bad, snap him and growl at him.

One more thing about stud horses. Don't pet their faces. Just Don't. If you want to "pet" a stud horse, give him pats and rubs on his shoulders or high neck.

I am NOT going to geld him. like I said IF his foals are like he is now, then and only then will I even think about gelding him.

my filly was 5 months old when that happend, and she is a year old now. and dose not kick.

JP

Mister BullBucker. given the pony a good beaten can an does work! now to go ahead an fix the particular problem of yur stud biten ya. take yur self a good sized potato and boil it til its real hot just a bit soft. strap a hot pad and then a piece of tin foil to yur arm. next go ahead and wrap that boilen hot potato in a paper napkin and tape it to yur arm real light like. put on a full sleave shirt over that. now you go right on ahead and let em have a good bite of what he thinks is yur arm. when his gums get the **** burnt out o them he wont be comen back for more.

I'm working on him. still pushy, but not biting. he is geting much better. I got tips from someone on another bord, and they are working. it's worked on every horse she tryed it on.

by the way I'm a Miss, not a Mr. and yes I ride bulls. and someday I hope to breed them.

BullBucker":22rovh3j said:
I'm working on him. still pushy, but not biting. he is geting much better. I got tips from someone on another bord, and they are working. it's worked on every horse she tryed it on.

by the way I'm a Miss, not a Mr. and yes I ride bulls. and someday I hope to breed them.

Care to share this technique with us that works on every horse. :?:

could just be that the previous owners hand fed the horse and as a colt...they thought it was "cute" for him to nibble on them...put him in a round pen...you have to teach your horse that your not just another horse thats he's got to compete with...i'd say put him in a roundpen and let him approach you...when he sticks his nose out to bite...yell and throw your arms up...scare him...he'll then run off and probably run around the pin a few times...then stand back in the middle of the pen again...if he comes back and tries to bite again...then scare him...make him run around the pen...do that over and over until he realizes that biting is going to lead to him getting scared and having to run

I put him in with my mare, and he is now one happy boy.

I know they said he loves apples. but they only had him a year. on top of that he was never worked with much, and live alone for a year. I also think he was a little worred, cuz now that he is in with another horse he is much calmer.

here is what I was told.
Start carrying a small riding crop with you when you go to handle him. Halter him, and work at leading him; use that crop as a 'wall'.
Let me explain: Any horse who bites has learned that there are no real boundaries. Well, he needs to learn that there ARE! I don't like to use my hands directly to hit a horse, ever, even in a biting case. I only use my fist if I have no crop, or lead rope in hand. When you lead him, keep that crop lined up perpendicular to his face; when he turns his face into you, whether or not he seems to be friendly or not, bring that crop right into his face. Don't say anything or react in any other form or fashion; let him figure it out, that biting is no longer going to get a reaction of any sort from you. The key here, however, is to make sure you are always in constant check of him. You have to become the leader...no ifs, ands, or buts; or in this case, bites! Lol! Don't ever turn your back to him for any reason; this invites him to challenge your authority. When you go to leave his pen, make sure you are in a position you can easily back out of the pen, or atleast walk out in a fashion that you can keep both eyes on him.
When you do go to leave, keep your crop in hand, and if he tries to follow you, bring that crop into his chest, and tell him to "Back Up"...he needs to learn there is NO forgiveness for invading YOUR space!

but that is dose not work so well if the horse will not lead.
I stay just a little more pushy then him. I am still geting him use to being messed with. it is taking long then a good wack would have, but I just don't work that way. never have, never will.

Heritage_Farmboy that is a lot like what some others have said to do. but he is not very flitey, and I want to keep it that way.

well it's late so I'll be going now. sorry I don't get on here much.

and every one dose things in their own way.

BullBucker":3cjr1wvy said:
Hi I just got a 2yo mini stud that bites, and trys to bite all the time. and it's hard to do anything with him cuz he'll bite you anywere. I'v only had him for about two weeks. he has never been worked with much. and I have never been around a horse that bites.

JP

That is why I don't have mini horses. We thought about trying to make a mini mule, but every one of them I have encountered is a biter! Must just be my luck or something. I forgot about the idea altogether.

ok Hon-----read all advice.... read all the books---use what makes sense to you--the 3 second rule is a good one tho--Sometimes you have to find out what does/ does not work for you or the animal you are dealing with...make the bad behaviour hard work,the good behaviour easy..

i agree with using the riding crop. keep it on hand. a two by four on a mini is too excesive. have to remember these are little guys! 2 X 4 can break something. i've found that a sharp voice or swift kick or a riding crop works wonders with a mini. now with a full size horse is somehthing different and you may have to be a little firmer with, but minis are "small". think large dog size and no i dont mean to compare a dog to a horse just the size. the most extreem we've been to a mini is fliping it like you would a calf, don't do this on a concret floor, and then sitting on her for a couple of minutes. she got the point, our black smith did this to her when she kept striking out and my nephew did also. now he can to what ever he wants with her. for some reason the smaller the horse the more agressive they think they have to be. we have seven on our property and a firm voice is normally all they need to behave.

good luck with your stud. hopefully this is just a "learned" responce and not something he'll pass on to his offsprings.

i guess i don't know if we should get alot of delight talking about punching animals! but most of us seem to be in agreement that common sense dictates that every once in awhile you've gotta show who's boss.

having said that, a professional "natural horsemanship" trainer friend of mine told me that in the few instances where you might punch a horse, the best way is with the back of your fist, on the corner of their mouth - like where the bit hangs out. he said it helps make sure they don't get head shy or antsy if you touch their nose (like to put on a bridle). plus, it will get their attention cause it will hurt!

my friend was taught this by probably the most famous "kindness" trainer ever, a name most all of you would know, but that i won't drop. i mention that because i think sometimes being firm or tough with a horse is important. it kind of worries me sometimes when i watch these ENTERTAINERS on tv talking about being your horses best buddy. i think there's value in the "natural" techniques, but i think it potentially creates a rider that is too concernced about doing everything right to keep their horse happy, rather than creating a reliable horse that does what it's told. when i go out to bring in pairs, i'm not out there worrying about what my horse is thinking, he'd better be working or he/she will grow a set of wheels.

i smacked the **** out of my mustang he got out once and had my donkey jack cornered and the donkey was kicking but not fast enough it was like a 9:1 ration the horse wasn't paying ateenntion and i slammed that 2x4 across his ass it stopped him real quik

BullBucker":2mxode81 said:
Hi I just got a 2yo mini stud that bites, and trys to bite all the time. and it's hard to do anything with him cuz he'll bite you anywere. I'v only had him for about two weeks. he has never been worked with much. and I have never been around a horse that bites.

JP

Give him a good smack when he bites you. right after he bites, or tries to bite, just smack him with your hands, reins, or something close that wond hurt him too bad, but to teach him not to bite

many years ago while walking my new yearling thorobred to my house he bit the crap out of the back of my arm , and in a fit of response i belted him right in the mouth , hurt my hand , but there was never any other biting incidents from that day on. you have to establish your space and respect or you will get hurt , only takes once or twice but has to be impressive. Good Luck with the little bugger !

BullBucker":ddreujaq said:

JP
Pop him under the chin every time he tries to nip. That way he learns it's a bad thing, but he doesn't grow jumpy everytime you move your hand. a friend of mine trains horses and he carries around a nail. Everytime a horse tries to bite he meets him with the nail. whatever works

"I got this horse to breed. and also knowing that I was going to have my hands full. I did not know he bit, but I would still got him. so I will keep him and as a stud.
he is head shy, has had no training. but he dose like a good rub."

And only if his offspring are snots you're going to geld him? Niiiiice.

"I know I have his respect."

Not if he's flippin' biting you! LOL

You know, why don't you just continue to let him drag his lead around cause you can't work with him (although him luvs you), and how about pasture-breeding everything. Do what you can to keep small children out of there and call it good.

Good grief!

backing will fix biting. Back him everywhere you go. Don't lead him, back him. Backing is the ultimate in submission for a horse. and make him back up, don't push him back.

When a horse gets up in the morning, he's got one of two things on his mind.....homicide or suicide!

Latest posts