Those that board...

Help Support CattleToday:

hraz

Reaction score
I have a couple of empty stalls that I am contemplatingrenting out. My question is do you have some type of legal waiver for possible mishaps?

You will need more than a waiver. You will need a contract as a legal resource should the boarder not pay and insurance should the horse or boarder get hurt and want to sue.

This link may be helpful:
http://agalternatives.aers.psu.edu/livestock/horses/horses.pdf

This link has sample forms:

http://www.stablewise.com/forms.htm

Google Horse Boarding Contracts to see more.

I boarded horses when I had a leased stable. It can be a real headache and I admire those who can run and manage a boarding stable.

I too have boarded horses, and I agree it can a real pain. Given the right clients it can be a good deal, but make sure you have them sign a contract that clearly states what date you expect payment and what can be done if they refuse to pay.

I had to threaten one client with a lien before he realized I was serious. 60 days of non-payment and the horse almost became mine. :p

There are a lot of good contracts you can download , get teh appropriate signage from your state horse council that should be posted on your facilities. Be selective in who you accept , ask for references , Make sure agreement can be cancelled by wither party with written notice. i just had to evict one , took a month to get rid of them , aaarrgghhh .

Realistic threats work as well as anything legal though , like " if you are not gone by X your horses and property will be removed "

Removed where ?

Removed to where ever I feel like ! could be the road in front of the barn ,

hraz":2p44r2uz said:
I have a couple of empty stalls that I am contemplatingrenting out. My question is do you have some type of legal waiver for possible mishaps?

That depends on your particular state, and your insurance company. We board horses, and all boarders are required to sign a waiver in case they get hurt. Wyoming has a law in place that prevents lawsuits, but our insurance company requires the waivers - so we get them signed.

Latest posts