2500 hd 4x4 question

Help Support CattleToday:

jvicars

Reaction score
i have a 2000 sierra 2500 hd 4x4 6 liter. tows well but never towed with a diesel so i dont know the difference. is there a significant difference towing a 20 ft trailer? is it worth the cost increase for diesel if one tows here and there. thinking of a new truck. thanks.

There is a pretty big difference in towing with a diesel, the only question is, is it worth the price of a new truck. I wouldn't trade my diesel for anything but, I don't know if I'll ever buy another new one, especially the way the fuel milage is goin on em.

I believe there is a big difference. I've owned 3/4 ton PU's most of my adult life but it wasn't until 2004 that I bought my first diesel. What a difference!

I won't use the old cliche' "you won't know it's back there" but it's pretty close. At 600 ft.lbs. of torque compared to a gasoline 250 ft. lbs. you will be able to latch on to a house and pull it.

My diesel gets decent milage when NOT towing - towing a really heavy load (>20,000 lbs) I got a poor 7.5 MPG.

I think you will enjoy the diesel, especially the new ones. They are very quite and get 17 mpg or better.

I also own a 6.0 4x4, though I do love the power and throttle response, I too long to own a diesel.

The costs are much higher but the next truck I buy will be a powerstroke. Even though it wont pay off until beyond 100k miles, I truly believe I'll drive it for well beyond 10 -15yrs or so.

I'm not the most materialistic person, but I'm going to splurge a little on my next truck. I do quite a bit of driving and a small amount of hauling (hay now, soon to be cattle) so a diesel would be of good use for me.

I've seen some dealerships that advertise test driving diesels that have loads on the back just for that reason

I have a 99 Dodge 1 ton diesel that I have had for 7 years. It gets anywhere from 15.5 to 18. mpg. Usually towing I get the lower mpg. I don,t think you can beat a diesel for pulling or carrying a heavy load. The higher price you have to pay for diesel burns me up though. Right now it,s 45 cents higher than gasoline and it may not get any better.

If you drive that truck for 200K, it'll pay for itself with fuel savings. No way gas can compete in fuel mileage.

Fuel in itself is becoming the single most expensive commodity in owning and operating a vehicle.

backhoeboogie":23ravg7z said:
If you drive that truck for 200K, it'll pay for itself with fuel savings. No way gas can compete in fuel mileage.

Fuel in itself is becoming the single most expensive commodity in owning and operating a vehicle.

Its not just the gas, its the oil changes, and basically any other part that has to be changed on your diesel. Every part is more expensive on diesel then a gas vehicle. Is will not pay unless you have to havet to capabilities of a diesel.

Latest posts