.22 rifle

Help Support CattleToday:

TXBobcat

Reaction score
I am planning to get my daughter a .22 rifle for Christmas. She is 10 yrs old and has been attending 4-H shooting sports for the the past several months.

Any suggestions on a good .22 rifle for her?

The Marlin bolt action .22's are good rifles. I like the tube fed but some prefer clips. They are fairly cheap and are carried by most gun stores. Im sure you could pick one up in the $200.00 range, probably even cheaper. Many have short stocks and thin forearms so they are good for young or small shooters. For the price, they are pretty accurate too.

I bought a Rossi for a truck gun came with a 22 a 4.10,20ga or12ga shotgun barrel and also I got it with a .243 barrel my 13 yr old uses it to deer hunt and i use it for coyotes and dillers is an inexpensive, accurate and and light gun it is a youth model and the 22 is a bull barrel great for target shooting
It is a breach load single shot I bought my in the black synthetic stock but comes in a wood stock also I beleive I paid $269 for it

If you want to get real serious into shooting sports then get an Anschutz (i think thats how its spelled). Thats what alot of the competition shooters use but they do have a nice price tag. If you just want her to be involved in something a Ruger 10/22 is a pretty reliable gun but I'm don't know how well it would perform in the shooting sports world. A single shot bolt action is probably your best option for shooting sports. I used to be involved with the shooting sports so I know a little bit but not everything.

I would definitely not get a 10yr old a semiautomatic. Single shot rifles, IMO encourage better and safer shooting, especially for children.

4-H rules require that only one bullet is placed in the gun at a time so any will work.

sewall":1do1hdhk said:
If you want to get real serious into shooting sports then get an Anschutz (i think thats how its spelled). Thats what alot of the competition shooters use but they do have a nice price tag. If you just want her to be involved in something a Ruger 10/22 is a pretty reliable gun but I'm don't know how well it would perform in the shooting sports world. A single shot bolt action is probably your best option for shooting sports. I used to be involved with the shooting sports so I know a little bit but not everything.

If it's serious, Anschutz is the way to go. But if we're just starting out and don't know how serious a sport this is going to be, start inexpensive.