205 day weaning weights

Help Support CattleToday:

We sold 6 Heifer Calves right at the same age this past week, that weighed between 660-710 all were born within a week or two of each other. I think they faired pretty good with the drought and all.

3rdgeneration farmer":2yvkt2yq said:
What is the heaviest calf you have had at the 205 day mark?

My personal highest adjusted at 840 lbs., I believe, but I have a friend who had one that was over 1000..........

OUr highest was 878lb 205 day wt. He was a Focus K216 calf from a Reg Red cow. He actually was the very first calf we kept for a bull.

The calf I was talking about was her first calf. I cant wait to see what she does on the next two.

Could you guys tell me what breed your calf was? Mine was 7/8 angus and 1/8 brown swiss.

To compare apples to apples, wouldn't you need to know what size the cows were, what they were eating, etc?

Sold a steer back in September right at 7 months weighed exactly 800. 1/2 Angus - 1/2 Charolais. Raised on bermuda/bahai pasture only. Charolais momma probably would be pushing 1400lb.

Rookie Rancher":2yy2jkrf said:
What are you guys feeding these beasts?
14% protein ration of soyhulls and soymeal with minerals creep fed

sewall":1skty42m said:
This is probably a stupid question but what does adjusted weight mean?
sewall-Average Daily Gain

Average daily gain (ADG) is calculated by subtracting the calf’s birth weight or a standard birth weight from the calf’s actual weaning weight and then dividing by the calf’s age in days. Average daily gain is used to calculate the adjusted 205-day weaning weight. Average daily gain represents the rate of gain for a calf from birth to the day the calf was weighed without the influence of birth weight.

The term "adjusted" means that all the weaned calves can be analysed using the same criteria - apples to apples - if you will.

DOC HARRIS

Adj 205 day wt is (actual weaning weight-actual birth weight*205+actual birth weight)/age in days.

Then to adjust for age of dam:
2yr old - 205 adj wt *1.15
3yr old - 205 adj wt *1.10
4yr old - 205 adj wt *1.05
5-10yr old - no adjustment
11yr old and older- 205 adj wt *1.05

And then to complicate it a bit more to adjust for the sex of the calf:
Heifer wts. *1.05 = steer basis
Bull wts. * .95 = steer basis
Bull wts. * .90 = heifer
Steer wts. * .95 = heifer
Steer wts. * 1.05 = bull
Heifer wts. * 1.10 = bull

This is from some old info but I doubt it has changed much if any. It will get everything on a pretty even playing field anyhow.

Had a first calf heifer wean a 730 lb calf this year. Thought that was awful good. No creep just grass. Several others 650-750. most around 195 days Charolais cattle

sewall":21i0qihm said:
This is probably a stupid question but what does adjusted weight mean?

in terms a little simpler than Doc's ;-) ...

how much the calf theoretically would weigh when it was 205 days old (instead of the actual age when weighed) and if the dam was 5 yrs old (young and old cows get a little extra weight added because they cant raise a calf as good as they can in their prime). the age adjustment attempts to show what the genetics did and not exactly what the cow did.