2018 Babies are arriving

Help Support CattleToday:

Nice babes, lovely cows & pastures.
I'm with Nesi on the tag size :lol: Used adult tags years ago until they caused a couple of permanently drooped ears. Switched to long necked calf size Z tags and never looked back. Easily applied & read, exceptional retainment and best of all, eliminated ripped ears on wiggly new borns.

With so much going on we had an event I had not even realized on 10/23 our last heifer calved. The boss was over in Marianna with some FL Cattlemen folk helping repair fence for some elderly or at least more elderly than us, I have been trying to hold down the fort but I am just a pencil pusher the boss is the backbone of this operation. Our first heifer calved on 9/10 last one on 10/23 or a 44 day season for the heifer group. We are working hard to tighten up our calving season and it looks like the decisions made are paying off. Our mature cow herd was due to start calving on 10/8 as of today we have a dozen left to calve we were expecting 104. I know two will blow the 45 day season I was shooting for my old 811 cow got a shoulder injury she is bred but gimped up and won't calve until Dec. The other is out of our 6R109 donor and XXP she was in the pasture with the bull failure so not due until Dec she was just to nice a cow to sell based on issues not her fault. I will put her in a sale in the Spring, but she deserves a chance.

Gizmom

Doing a bit of a happy dance this morning. My old 409 cow had a calf this morning, we had palpated her to the AI date when she passed over it I was afraid she had slipped her calf. This cow has a history for sure, she is a Pathfinder cowthat sure had a rough start in life. Her dam stifled when she was 3 months old we worked with her for three weeks trying to save her but she was done, so 409 got weaned at actually 31/2 months since mamma couldn't stand up for her to nurse. She was a great robber calf she would rob off every cow in the herd while they nursed their own baby. I figured she'd would never breed up with the rest of the heifers but she did one set of twins along the way. She has managed to maintain a weaning ratio of 106 and a yearling ratio of 104. She is beginning to show her age a bit but still getting the job done. She weaned her last calf at a ratio of 113, the good news it is a heifer so she won't be going anywhere anytime soon. I don't know what she had this morning just thankful she is still getting the job done. If they tell me it's another heifer I might just have to do the rumba!

Gizmom

WaHoo - Last fall baby born during the night. We only had 10 for fall calving, but 8 were born in September (7 of the 8 were heifers.) Last 3 calves born were bulls, which is perfect for my freezer beef.

Well the happy dance went into high gear, 409 had a 84 pound heifer out of our D45 bull. The sire is Gizmo Resource D45 2315 1441 reg# 18807913 he is a pretty good rip. He has more birth weight than I normally use but then again I think the Angus breed is going to far toward the low birth weight numbers. I honestly believe if we continue to stack low birth weight on top of low birth weight we are going to make females that are so narrow made they can't have a calf. In addition low birth weight also equates to shorter gestation so stack that up long enough your going to have a bunch of itty bitty weak calves. Just one ole girls opinion, anyone else want to chime in with thoughts?

Gizmom

I totally agree. On my farm, I expect my 2 yr olds to be able to have a 70 - 95# calf totally unassisted. Years ago, breeders just bred their heifers to Jersey or some other throw-away sire - and they did just that - throw away all heifers out of heifers. On my farm, I expect my heifers to be my best genetics on the farm, bred to the best genetics I can buy so that they SHOULD produce some of my best heifers for retention.
Two of my animals in my showstring this year were out of 2 yr old dams.

Jeanne

You are absolutely right! Our job is to make our herd better every year, our heifers should be better than their dam if they aren't we better reconsider out breeding decisions. Another old cow #811 well not real old she is 10 had a set of twin heifers, I have considered flushing her several times but have decided to wait and flush a daughter. She got a shoulder injury last year so was planning to move her after weaning, then she goes and has twin heifers. Problem is she loves one and hates the other, we are putting her in the head catch twice a day and letting the one she hates nurse. Hopefully we will get her to at least tolerate the calf. My daughter in law had asked me at Thanksgiving if we had any twins this year I told her no and we probably wouldn't since we only had three left to calve, I should have kept my dang mouth shut! When we found out 811 had twins Carla reminded me that we have had at least one set every year since the twin granddaughters were born. Prior to their arrival we rarely had a set but she's right at least one set for the past 7 years.

Gizmom

T&B

I was able to snap a couple of photos today before the bottom fell out, I remembered you were interested in the Buford Pathfinder calves so when I saw this one I snapped a photo.

So far I really like the way they are developing this heifer is out of B43 a Regis daughter out of a cow we flushed 0709.

Gizmom

Latest posts