2016 Bull Test and Bull Development Programs

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Wow it seems like we were just calving now its almost time to deliver bulls to various bull test and bull development programs. We were planning to send six to the Florida Bull Test this year but had one that we thought was an ET calf turn out to be a commercial calf when the DNA came back. Not what I wanted to hear but he is going to make a really nice steer. So the five we are sending to the Florida Bull Test are:

Gizmo Resource C18 956 1441 https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPed...PVKz0mjiy9NpnxPCcJL61DzVF0MmZnDM6JtQUBXmp3w== This calf is out of one of my favorite cows, I sure hope he does well BW 76 Adj. Wean 599

Giz Consensus C27 1306 7229 https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPed...kFHSFklG/0dWKlUso2k/lXUP2LnFCZ9uNjYBYiTFmjQ== BW 74 Adj Wean 666 This calf is out of a first calf heifer that sure did a good job on her first one. She also bred back AI so she is on her way to making a cow.

Gizmo Consensus C35 811 7229 https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPed...Bpp1wwc/hlkLQeJv+kpe5g0+Iq4oqSlSB6hiXlBWOEg== BW 76 Adj. Wean 682 The 811 cow made Pathfinder on her third calf her dam 525 is also a Pathfinder so a really good cow family behind this young bull.

Gizmo EXT C39 0524 6149 We are waiting on DNA on the cow to come back, oops. I swear I thought I had pulled the DNA on this cow we flushed her to our 6149 bull the good news is that the calf qualified to the sire so I know it is an ET calf but now have to get the DNA back on the cow to finish up the registration process. BW 98 Adj. Wean 742

Gizmo Rito C57 409 9R9 https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPed...inlhguMx5E6jDBID7mSWO8iLjwLu4BSpeCfv4M9xVFQ== BW 88 Adj. Wean 735 The dam of this bull is getting some age on her but she is still doing a great job. She is a Pathfinder, that was orphaned at 4 months and still managed to breed with the rest of the heifers has never missed a calf and made Pathfinder in the process. The kind of cow that makes an operation profitable.

We are sending four to the North Alabama Bull Evaluation. This will be the first time we have sent cattle to this test so it will be a bit of a learning curve for us. We are also sending five to the Southeast Excellence Bull Development so we are going to busy delivering for the next few weeks. I was going to post info on the other calves but I can only post 6 urls.

gizmom

I'd like to see the C35 bull. I'd kinda like to own him. :cboy:

LARF
I like the C35 calf a bunch, but I am partial to the cow family. We purchased the great grand dam of this calf from The Fink program in Kansas back in 2000. We flushed her as a 13 year old cow. The grand dam of the calf is a Pathfinder as is his dam so a really strong cow family.

Gizmom

C18 would be my second pic looking at pedigrees that would compliment what I have. I like the maternal influence it sounds like the C35 could produce

The cow family behind C18 is pretty dang powerful as well his dam 956 just made Pathfinder status. I actually didn't realize it till now but three of the five calves are out of Pathfinder dams. 956, 811and 409 are all Pathfinder cows. 1306 is a first calf heifer and the 0524 cow is a donor, heck these are some pretty dang good calves. Time will tell on how they develop, but on paper they should be pretty sporty.

Gizmom

We delivered five bulls to the 2016 Florida Bull Test today. The start weights were:

C18 - Test ID 1557 868 pounds
C27 - Test ID 1555 864 pounds
C35 - Test ID 1559 978 pounds
C39 - Test ID 1556 962 pounds
C57 - Test ID 1558 824 pounds

I thought they looked pretty good, I sure hope they continue growing like they have been. If so they should do pretty good at the test.

gizmom

They did look good, real good.. Good luck with them this year. Hope you finish 2nd - 6th... LOL..
the consensus calf was my favorite but they will all work..

JSCUNN

I like the consensus calf as well (C35) we actually had two but I agree the C35 is the stand out. The other Consensus calf is out of a first calf heifer so time will tell on how he develops. The C35 calf is out of one of what I consider our top cow family's. His dam is a Pathfinder with 6 calves recorded through AHIR she has a birth ratio on 6 calves of 100, a weaning ratio of 104 on 6 calves and a yearling ratio of 102 on 4 calves in our herd. His grand dam is also a pathfinder with a weaning ratio of 94 on 9 calves a weaning ratio of 104 on 9 calves and a yearling ratio of 102 on five calves. His maternal great grand dam was a cow we flushed at the age of 13. She never made Pathfinder but she sure produced some good females. This is the kind of calf you want to retain heifers out of for sure.

The warm up period for the Florida Bull test is now complete. Results are posted athttp://nfrec.ifas.ufl.edu/media/nfr...est-results/2016-Bull-Sheet_0-Day-Summary.pdf
So far our bulls are doing pretty good. This year they have 129 bulls the ADG for all bulls since arrival date is 2.80. Our bulls at this point are ranked based on ADG since arrival date:

#8 C57 ADG 5.10
#16 C35 ADG 4.50
#17 C39 ADG 4.43
#20 C18 ADG 4.33
#49 C27 ADG 3.24

So for today when I pulled up the report I was tickled with how they are doing. But at my age I know there is a whole lot of time between now and December 6th when the test is over. Not to mention they have to pass a BSE exam so trust me when I say alot can and will change and could go wrong. But for right now I just want to be tickled.

gizmom

C57 is packing it on! But if it goes like mine usually do he will level off on the second half. Lots of time left....

GM,
I am not surprised at all, great looking set of bulls. I hope they continue at this pace or get even better along the way.

Wbvs58,
They are on full feed from day one, the first 21 days of "warm up" allows the bulls to recover from the trip to the test. Some bulls come from over 250 miles away so there is alot of difference in shrink on the delivery day. The start of the test was this week, they weigh the bulls on Tuesday and Wednesday and take the avg of the two. They only do this on the last test period as well. The first 21 ADG doesnt figure into the final results, but it does show Gizmom's bulls are healthy, happy and eating well. All you can ask for..

Latest posts