2016 Bull Test and Bull Development Programs

Help Support CattleToday:

We are using a Concensus son with our cows. Getting some really good heifers out of him. Makes me wonder why we are AI ing and not breeding all to him ?

jscunn":1u58r65r said:
GM,
I am not surprised at all, great looking set of bulls. I hope they continue at this pace or get even better along the way.

Wbvs58,
They are on full feed from day one, the first 21 days of "warm up" allows the bulls to recover from the trip to the test. Some bulls come from over 250 miles away so there is alot of difference in shrink on the delivery day. The start of the test was this week, they weigh the bulls on Tuesday and Wednesday and take the avg of the two. They only do this on the last test period as well. The first 21 ADG doesnt figure into the final results, but it does show Gizmom's bulls are healthy, happy and eating well. All you can ask for..
Thanks, that makes sense, I like the idea of averaging the weight from two days as well.

Ken

The 28 day report is online at http://nfrec.ifas.ufl.edu/media/nfr...st-results/2016_Bull_Sheet_28_Day_Summary.pdf I am still pretty tickled about the Gizmo calves.

The five Gizmo calves are performing as follows:

C35 Test ID 1559 28 day weight 1195 28 day ADG 4.38 28 day index ratio 128
C18 Test ID 1557 28 day weight 1090 28 day ADG 4.68 28 day index ratio 128
C57 Test ID 1558 28 day weight 1035 28 day ADG 3.71 28 day index ratio 113
C27 Test ID 1555 28 day weight 1040 28 day ADG 3.86 28 day index ratio 112
C39 Test ID 1556 28day weight 1095 28 day ADG 1.43 28 day index ratio 76

For a full report you can go to the Florida Bull Test web site that I have linked to the page. I will say it is interesting that our top three bull calves are out of Pathfinder cows. i was on another site and one of the posters was saying he didn't put much store in a cow that was a Pathfinder, I honestly couldn't understand that mindset. I am pretty proud when we have a cow make Pathfinder status and seeing how their calves are performing tells me that just maybe its a good thing.

gizmom

The final weights were taken on December 6th and 7th. To view all of the results you can go to
http://nfrec.ifas.ufl.edu/media/nfrecif ... ummary.pdf
I said from the beginning that I felt like we sent some pretty good bulls this year, but I have to admit I am pretty excited with the final results. We still have one more hurdle to pass and that is the BSE exam that will be done the first of the week, hopefully they will all pass their BSE. I have to admit when I saw the breed order I did a happy dance! Gizmo bulls finished the test in Breed Order as:

They had 59 Angus bulls finish the test so I think a happy dance was in order. Our top three bulls C35, C18 and C57 are out of Pathfinder dams. It goes to show the importance of measuring your cow herd. The C57 calf was raised by not only a pathfinder but she did it as 12 years old. She also bred back and now has a really nice heifer calf on her side that will most probably make the replacement pen.

Once the BSE's are done they will be getting videos of the bulls I will try to post them when they are done. Now hopefully the folks attending the sale will like them as well.

gizmom

Still waiting on videos but the sale catalog is now online.

http://nfrec.ifas.ufl.edu/media/nfrecif ... -15-16.pdf

All five of our bulls have now passed their BSE so all of them will be in the sale on the 21st. I haven't seen the bulls since the day we delivered them but they looked pretty dang sporty then. Hopefully they will be well received.

gizmom

gizmom":7buk00j2 said:
The final weights were taken on December 6th and 7th. To view all of the results you can go to
http://nfrec.ifas.ufl.edu/media/nfrecif ... ummary.pdf
I said from the beginning that I felt like we sent some pretty good bulls this year, but I have to admit I am pretty excited with the final results. We still have one more hurdle to pass and that is the BSE exam that will be done the first of the week, hopefully they will all pass their BSE. I have to admit when I saw the breed order I did a happy dance! Gizmo bulls finished the test in Breed Order as:

They had 59 Angus bulls finish the test so I think a happy dance was in order. Our top three bulls C35, C18 and C57 are out of Pathfinder dams. It goes to show the importance of measuring your cow herd. The C57 calf was raised by not only a pathfinder but she did it as 12 years old. She also bred back and now has a really nice heifer calf on her side that will most probably make the replacement pen.

Once the BSE's are done they will be getting videos of the bulls I will try to post them when they are done. Now hopefully the folks attending the sale will like them as well.

gizmom

That sounds excellent, what a difference a year makes.

I noticed one of your bulls had New Day in the ped. According to the popular storyline on here New Day doesn't have enough growth. lol

Congratulations.

If someone says New Day 8005 doesn't have enough growth they are breeding elephants not cattle. There are other New Day's out there that I haven't used. I figure that is who they are talking about if there isn't enough growth in New Day because 8005 has plenty and we have used him a bunch. In fact bred a heifer to him yesterday. I will continue using him he does a whole lot of things right.

Gizmom

Gizmom we have a heifer bred to him who should calve next week.

Certain bulls are probably just better along Interstate 10 than others. Your EXT bull did well. He is a popular sire here, too.

What is surprising is that Brangus wasn't a big part of the bull test. A 3/4 Angus 1/4 Brahman calf brings the most money, locally.

Gizmo I see you have 2 Consensus calves in the test. I reallylike the #21 bull. You have a great set of bulls. What is your overall view of the Consensus cattle? The main two I've seen progeny of are 7229 and 014E. I purchased a daughter of 014E last year. I have some mixed thoughts about them from the ones I've seen, the one I purchased and a few breeders I've talked to. From the videos they sure seem to work for you.

Elkwc

I honestly can't tell you a lot about Consensus. ABS donated the 7229 semen as a fund raiser for the Alabama Junior Angus Association, we bid on it and ended up with it. The calves we have from him have all been really nice. We don't have any females in production yet. I can say based on what I'm seeing I would use him again. I don't know anything about the 014E bull what is he?

Gizmom

gizmom":3d8rcawn said:
Elkwc

I honestly can't tell you a lot about Consensus. ABS donated the 7229 semen as a fund raiser for the Alabama Junior Angus Association, we bid on it and ended up with it. The calves we have from him have all been really nice. We don't have any females in production yet. I can say based on what I'm seeing I would use him again. I don't know anything about the 014E bull what is he?

Gizmom
014E is a Consensus son that Connealy own with Messners here in my area and Connealy's have used him some. Have seen them sell several sons. He is out of a Danny Boy daughter that those that have seen her say is a great cow with an ideal/impeccable udder. The only concerns I've had and hear from breeders using his sons and 7229 sons is lack of frame and lack of milk in the heifers they retain. I'm seeing both in the daughter of 014E I have. Will see how she milks this year as it is her second calf. The two bulls of yours look to have plenty of frame. Will be interested to see how the females milk. I do know that the EPD's on 014E seem to be accurate. They show a low milk number. I will be keeping her daughter out of a son of Sitz Wisdom 481T. He has good milk numbers so will see how it works out. There are a lot of things I really like about the Consensus cattle.

Elkwc

The lot 21 bull is out of a heavy milking cow so I feel he should do fine. The lot 49 bull I don't have as much history on his dam, this was her first calf. I can tell you the cow family behind him have always had plenty of milk. I am a true believer that you don't really know if a bull works until he has daughters in production but having a bull out of a strong cow family is sure the best way to start.

Gizmom

gizmom":300u0tnw said:
Elkwc

The lot 21 bull is out of a heavy milking cow so I feel he should do fine. The lot 49 bull I don't have as much history on his dam, this was her first calf. I can tell you the cow family behind him have always had plenty of milk. I am a true believer that you don't really know if a bull works until he has daughters in production but having a bull out of a strong cow family is sure the best way to start.

Gizmom
I agree. I was taught that whether I was looking to buy a horse or cattle to always look at the mother. I still feel that way. When I selected a bull at a sale 3 years ago I asked the breeder to give me a list of the top 7-10 dams of the bulls. I didn't look at the list until after I had went through the 85 bulls and made my selections. All of the top 5 bulls I had selected had a mother on the list. Keep us informed about how your bulls sale. It will be interesting how sales go this year. I have already noticed some drop in this area.

elkwc":k4gkhjob said:
gizmom":k4gkhjob said:
Elkwc

Gizmom
I agree. I was taught that whether I was looking to buy a horse or cattle to always look at the mother. I still feel that way. When I selected a bull at a sale 3 years ago I asked the breeder to give me a list of the top 7-10 dams of the bulls. I didn't look at the list until after I had went through the 85 bulls and made my selections. All of the top 5 bulls I had selected had a mother on the list. Keep us informed about how your bulls sale. It will be interesting how sales go this year. I have already noticed some drop in this area.

Same goes when picking a wife, always look at the mother, gives you a bit of an idea how she is going to turn out.

Ken

Gizmom[/quote]
I agree. I was taught that whether I was looking to buy a horse or cattle to always look at the mother. I still feel that way. When I selected a bull at a sale 3 years ago I asked the breeder to give me a list of the top 7-10 dams of the bulls. I didn't look at the list until after I had went through the 85 bulls and made my selections. All of the top 5 bulls I had selected had a mother on the list. Keep us informed about how your bulls sale. It will be interesting how sales go this year. I have already noticed some drop in this area.[/quote]

Same goes when picking a wife, always look at the mother, gives you a bit of an idea how she is going to turn out.

Ken[/quote]

:nod:

Latest posts