2013 Winter Garden

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I am prepping the winter garden got the cattle a lil snack to give them I may plant some squash collards and broccoli now and some later in august along with cabbage squash turnips lettuce

bigbull338":2eiyr5it said:
we may plant some turnips this fall.

I plant them every year and last year I " lightly" disced them in the ground instead of raking them in and they did fine I was surprised

we have a 3pt tiller an will prolly till 1 of our summer gardens under an plant there.

Thats what I do but I disc it in then go over with a spring tooth harrow disc again then come with the cub and lay the rows for the small garden Big garden gets the 3020 and big cultivator. I should have some pic for yall by sunday with some cabbage collards and broccoli planted squash too I plan on prep work tomorrow plant on sunday when kids are back to help me lol

Got some snacks for the cattle.. They dont mind the leftovers at alll

The only thing left in what is my grandmas garden in the summer and we use hers for the winter crops is the sweet taters and a row of white taters cantaloupes and watermelons... I will run over it with the disc again tomorrow and lay the rows with the cub with the cultivators on so I know i can cultivate it with no problems.

Kathie in Thorp":2gpu21gn said:
You crack me up with Spring Garden and Winter Garden, Sky. We get one shot at a garden every year. It goes in about May; it's done end Sept. That's it. .

Come on Kathie we have our winter gardens too. I grow a great crop of frost heaved ground every winter.

Winter garden.....hahahahahaha

3waycross":3mg3uo4y said:
Kathie in Thorp":3mg3uo4y said:
You crack me up with Spring Garden and Winter Garden, Sky. We get one shot at a garden every year. It goes in about May; it's done end Sept. That's it. .

Come on Kathie we have our winter gardens too. I grow a great crop of frost heaved ground every winter.

Winter garden.....hahahahahaha

lol I am sorry kathie where I grew up it was like that too but now i can do the 2 gardens. I got snow all over my greens last year it was crazy.

so far 76 collard green plants " champions "
4 "georgia" collard plants
70 " packman " broccoli plants
28 cabbage plants " Early Jersey Wakefields "
and all those seeds you saw too... mid to end this month I will add more cabbages and broccoli

All kidding aside, I like this part of the USA -- this is farm/ranch country USA. We just have to deal with the A-holes on the west side for all the political stuff. If I won the lottery, I'd stay right here, buy ground with green hay all around and extensive irrigation -- we're near that, but not enough for me w/ fire potential. Then, I'd put up a greenhouse -- a big one; with tropical plants and for starting the garden; and a hot tub inside. And do three cruises a year. :) Didn't win the lottery last night.

Latest posts