2011 show steers

Help Support CattleToday:

show steer up

Reaction score
Well it looks like auction time again. trying to line up a few auctions and it seams like everyone around here decided to have their sales on the same day, grrrrrrrr.
We are only looking for one this year, already have a friend that is willing to let the kids pick three off her ranch and only charge the kids 500 per steer ;-) . With the prices the county fair brought in I hope everyone gets smart and pulls it down ten notches or so. We have no choice, don't believe in throwing the money away for a ribbon. We can still have fun and maybe be one of the few to actually make a buck next year at the end.
Our fair was wayyyyyy downnnnnnn this season. Our fair normally has 90 or so in the barn, this year there were 48. But one of the best sets of cattle I have seen there in a long time. We took the year off and went to lake Powell for two week, glad we did. The going rate for the cattle $1.25 a lb. The only reason they got that price is because packer bid was $1.00. So I figure at 500 per steer we should at least brake even and I'm sure the trend will go this way for a few more years, or so. :cry2:

With those prices all you can do is get the best calf you can for the least amount of money, 500 is less than market so you are starting out ahead. Find the best feed for the money and manage them like a commercial operation. See if you can find some 3-way hay (oats, barley & wheat) to feed along with the grain, it really helps them gain, plus it is coarser hay and helps keep the guts working right. Work with them the same as you all did your club calf cattle, they just won't have the same look, but they may surprise you.

Our numbers where down this year as well, but the quality was up for the most part. We actually had better prices this year than last year. The average was probably 2.75 with the lowest going for 1.75. Grand went for 11.00 Reserve went for 8.50. (My son, his last year)

Most of our buyers in the area are past exhibitors who come back every year to support the kids. The people who have bought most my kids animals for the last 10 years, is a family who have been buying for 43 years. Their son (who now runs their company) was in it the same time I was 35 years ago. It doesn't hurt that for the past 15 years we have been feeding the animals they buy and arranging for processing and pick-up after. They usually buy 2 to 3 steers 2to3 hogs for their family and buy and donate another 5 to 10 animals to the scholarship program.

VCC
I'm hoping there half way decent. This is a friend from work, real nice lady and one heck of an air care RN. They use to show a few years back and had Grand and Reserve locked in for many years running. We didn't show this year but I purchased 3 freezer steers from her and there not all that bad, bought two red Angus x and a Beefmaster. sp?
She has around 200 head and the kids will be able to pick through her heard before anyone goes through them, so I got my fingers crossed we might get a little lucky. If not the twins will still have fun their first year out and we will have food in the freezer for the next year. She is getting them off the mountain in a month, gives me time to process this bunch and set up the pen before they get here.

Latest posts