2008 Calf Crop What Do You Think?

Help Support CattleToday:

CosgrayHerefords

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of our 2008 calf crop. We run 54 head of Polled Herefords and I have a couple of pics. So please feel free to give me some comments about them thanks!

you have some fine looking heifers an steers.you can tell they have some breeding behind them.

Thanks for the comments! All of these calves were natural matings. We had an AI program some years back but bought some really nice bulls and were fortunate enough to calve some excellent ones as well. This year we are getting back into AI due to the costs of bulls. The bulls we use are sons of Gerber Lombardi, LaGrand Reload, Remitall Online, CS Boomer 29F, AA PRF Wideload, and S&S Kodiak and we have been thoroughly impressed with all of them! I will try and post more recent pics of these calves (these were taken back in the middle of August). They have all really turned it on and are really starting to put some weight and thickness on.

Nice cattle. You saved the best for last, I like the look of that last heifer. What age is she and what is she out of?

She is out of a very exciting 2 year old cow who produced a great looking heifer a year ago and RWD Horizon 54N. He is out of Gerber Lombardi and has been our primary herd sire the past 3 years and has produced the county fair champion heifer and steer the past three years. We got him from R.W. Davee a couple years back in his production sale. I'll try and get a picture of him up.

Also I would like to note that everything is for sale at all times: cows, bulls, replacement heifers, show heifers, and show steers. Just shoot me a message if you are interested in some more details.

I'm curious about your donor cow. What is her age, breeding and what do you feel she brings to your herd. I've been breeding cattle long enough to know that cows just aren't always in top condition, but in this photo she really is falling apart, or is there more to the story?

A few nice calves, especially the first and last heifer, some calves are a little too leggy for my liking, but overall a reasonably strong group.

She was born in 2000. She is out of a WTK 55Y Bond 75A bull and her maternal grand sire is Carlsons New Idea B46. She has a strong cow family is her pedigree. She brings many things to the table. She brings fertility and growth which shows in her being a Dam of Distinction. She has never missed for us she has had 5 heifer calves and a bull calf this year that we are retaining. She adds pigment thickness and overall eye appeal. This year her bull calf who is also pictured as 826, was about 100 pounds at birth(not very ideal and by far the largest she has ever calved) and he was unassisted at birth. So basically he is taking a lot out of her which would explain her thinness. She came in heat once with the bull and hasn't since.

If I am not mistaken and if you posted a photo of an Online heifer calf, I think I can point at least one of them out. My Online heifers are really blowing my mind. First of all, they look fantastic. Secondly, they are well proportioned. Finally, they appear to grow fast only on grass.

Yes I posted one of the Online heifers. Her mom is a 4 year old cow that has really turned out to be an amazing producer. She had a bull calf last year that is currently being used on about 5 of our cows. She was the 2004 County Fair Champion Polled Hereford Heifer out of CS Boomer 29F. Here is the calf. It is a very bad angle and she is bunched up and this picture was taken a month and a half ago and she has really gotten quite a bit bigger. I think she is going to be a dandy.

CosgrayHerefords":12qvvb9e said:
Yes I posted one of the Online heifers. Her mom is a 4 year old cow that has really turned out to be an amazing producer. She had a bull calf last year that is currently being used on about 5 of our cows. She was the 2004 County Fair Champion Polled Hereford Heifer out of CS Boomer 29F. Here is the calf. It is a very bad angle and she is bunched up and this picture was taken a month and a half ago and she has really gotten quite a bit bigger. I think she is going to be a dandy.

I would like to see some better photos of this specific heifer and any other Online heifers you have.

I'll be going home this weekend so I am going to try and get pictures of all of our calves and some of the cows and herd bulls. They should be posted by the start of next week!

I just got back from Thanksgiving break and have some more pics to post. I've added two young bulls, the first being born May 29, and the second being born March 3 of this year. Other than them the rest are of cattle that have been pictured before. So tell me what you think!

Latest posts