2003 gmc 1500 HD

Help Support CattleToday:

piedmontese

Reaction score
My speedometer dont work and sometimes my rpm and amp gauge dont work either.my speedo will read all over the place but never correct.been doing it for awhile now.whats the problem and how much $$ to fix it?

I own two GM vehicles and both have lost their speedo. The 2004 Duramax has lost twice. Each time it's been about $450 to $500 and several days in the shop. 2003 GMC Envoy lost the speedo but the cost to fix it is about $1500. Stepper motors go out.

There was a gent on here who's Son fixed them for a reasonable price but you still will be without your vehicle for several days. Or if you're so inclined you can do it your self for about $35. Get the stepper motor off Ebay.

Don't know what else to say. GM has this problem and they know about it but won't issue a recall.

lavacarancher":109gcqva said:
I own two GM vehicles and both have lost their speedo. The 2004 Duramax has lost twice. Each time it's been about $450 to $500 and several days in the shop. 2003 GMC Envoy lost the speedo but the cost to fix it is about $1500. Stepper motors go out.

There was a gent on here who's Son fixed them for a reasonable price but you still will be without your vehicle for several days. Or if you're so inclined you can do it your self for about $35. Get the stepper motor off Ebay.

Don't know what else to say. GM has this problem and they know about it but won't issue a recall.
is this also the problem with the amp and rpm?

lavacarancher":7rz2ll90 said:

theres no recall, but a special policy if your still within the miles and year limits,, 2004 up less than 80.000 here to install a exchange unit $375.00.... GM knows about alot of thing they aint taking care of................ i could make a list

thommoos":2hjaup3x said:
Look on the Internet and get one takes about 1/2 to change, easy as pie, swapped mine for a while witha Caddy intrumnet cluster worked fine, kept mileage.

http://www.speedometerrepairguy.com/

So how do you get the right cluster? They need to know the serial number, firmware number, milage., etc. to get the right cluster. Then they have to program in the milage. And if you disconnect the battery your radio/cd player won't work (antitheft feature). This is not something a novice will want to undertake. Besides, if you're as old as me you can't stand on your head for very long to disconnect the dang thing then put it back in.

Agree, the Duramax was pretty easy to get the cluster out and in but the Envoy you need to start at the tail lights disconnecting things to get the cluster out. I used to do that sort of thing for many years as well as fix auto automatic transmissions and A/C but I can't do it anymore so I have to bend over and take it up the chute when some teenager who shows up to work with a crescent wrench and a pair of channel locks breaks something and I have to pay for it, and even then it's not right.

Latest posts