GMC pickup gas pedal issue

Help Support CattleToday:

Banjo

Reaction score
I have a '03 GMC sierra pickup 2 wheel drive, 4.8 v8.....the other day I pulled out of the driveway just idling along and when I went to give it the gas the pedal went down when I pushed it but it wouldn't rev up. Then the console readout said low engine power...so I was able to turn around and get back home. When I turned it off then back on it worked fine.
Then today I was going down the road and suddenly I had no pedal again, so I pull over and turn it off then back on and it worked fine.
any ideas what would be causing this?

have to check the codes.. there's probably a way to do it without a reader, but it's got something going on it doesn't like.. and it may not be associated with the gas pedal or TPS sensor.. some vehicles you turn the ignition on and off 3 times and leave it on, and it'll show the codes on the display, others may have other methods of doing the same thing. Start with that and google the codes, that'll tell you where to start looking at least..

I've got a 2003 2500 HD that did that about 2 years ago. Towed to shop and they said it was either the throttle position sensor or the throttle body, changed both and neither worked, then finally found an open in the wiring by the plug at the throttle body where a mouse had chewed it almost into. Fixed wire, reinstalled my old parts. Been fine since

There is a TSB on those about a bad connection on the TPS plug/wires.

With a drive by wire throttle, there is a accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor and a TPS. The two must agree or the PCM reduces engine power.

Txpiney":2e809own said:
I've got a 2003 2500 HD that did that about 2 years ago. Towed to shop and they said it was either the throttle position sensor or the throttle body, changed both and neither worked, then finally found an open in the wiring by the plug at the throttle body where a mouse had chewed it almost into. Fixed wire, reinstalled my old parts. Been fine since
Can't count how many rodent repairs the service dept did... Squirrels were the worst..they did untold amounts of damage..

Got a mechanic to do a diagnostic, he said the electronic throttle body wasn't working right....it was rather noisy. replaced it the other day and had no issues since.

Thanks for all the replies.

OBD readers come on sale for like 50-100 bux. Not sure why more people don't have them? - As usually everyone needs them at some point, add in their their wife and kids, or friends.. etc someone needs a code read.

Supa Dexta":2yhk6frc said:
OBD readers come on sale for like 50-100 bux. Not sure why more people don't have them? - As usually everyone needs them at some point, add in their their wife and kids, or friends.. etc someone needs a code read.

You can buy a Bluetooth ELM327 adapter for 10 dollars or so from eBay or Amazon and read codes with an Android smart phone.