2002 f-250 towing

Help Support CattleToday:

newcattleman

Reaction score
I am going to be getting my father in laws 02 F-250 triaton v-10 and I was wondering if anyone knew how much weight I can tow with it. It would mainly be used for hauling hay with bumper hitch and cattle with the gooseneck. I don't currently know any other details about the truck other than its a 4 door and it has done fine when I borrowed it to haul a couple cows or calves with before. I was mainly just wondering what my limit was.
Thanks

Lots of good info on this forum
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php
They have a V-10 specific forum too. I would also suggest investing in a quality brake controller before towing heavy. I have a 02' Excursion and the bottom end torque is impressive. Its our family car and I have not ever really towed much with it. Its a good running truck for the last 145k miles. The v-10 is a sweet motor, if they still offered in a F-250, I would prolly have gone with that over the 6.2 liter gas f-250 I just bought in 2013.

I don't know what they will tow but have to say they tow real good behind my dodge at least the one did last week when I helped him get it home.

M5farm":2xdtrwc0 said:
I don't know what they will tow but have to say they tow real good behind my dodge at least the one did last week when I helped him get it home.
:lol: you sound about like my good friend who's a Chevy guy. But he knows better than to call me when his truck breaks down. His son on the other ham drives a ford and sends me all the pics. :lol:

M5farm":3ahs3lz8 said:
Dodge owners get to tow something...and brag,brag,brag. Sounds like Mr obama on obama care :bs:

That engine was the one I think that had the problems with the sparkplugs and/or the headstuds rotting off. Do some research and see if I'm right or not. The biggest thing with that truck is the crappy fuel mileage. If you tow over 10k you'll probably see around 6-8mpg.

There's at least one other thread here from not too long ago about the V-10's. They're good motors, and very reliable. The early Triton engines, both the V-10 and V-8 were prone to spark plug issues because they had aluminum heads with only about 2 threads holding the plugs in. The problem's came after the factory plugs were replaced, because they were only s'posed to be torqued to like 16 lbs - many folks way over torqued them and damaged the threads which tended to cause the plugs to blow out of the head. Even if that happens, there's a relatively simple fix for it. But some time in '01 I believe, for sure by '02, Ford had gone to like 5 threads in the heads, and the blown out plug issue pretty much went away. Never heard anything about head studs rotting off, or any other kind of issues with the heads outside of the spark plug thing.

Mileage isn't great, but also isn't nearly as bad as most people think. I had an '01 F250 V-10 with an automatic and 3.73 gears - it got 14 empty on the highway, 10 with a 20' x 6'8" gooseneck full of cattle, I averaged 11-12 as a farm truck/daily driver. It was a great truck, I loved the motor but it was two wheel drive and I couldn't live with that. I'd buy another one today if I could find one I wanted.

But all that's beside the point - the question was what will it pull. That 20' stock trailer was the biggest thing I ever pulled with mine, and like I said, you could cram it full and go as fast as you wanted. These motors make their power at higher rpm's than a diesel, so don't be afraid to wind it up a little more. I've also had a couple of the 5.4 V-8's in F-250's, and we hauled a lot of hay with them - 14 bales at 1100# each, and got along fine. We weren't trying to go fast though.

DLD":1qcgk90t said:
There's at least one other thread here from not too long ago about the V-10's. They're good motors, and very reliable. The early Triton engines, both the V-10 and V-8 were prone to spark plug issues because they had aluminum heads with only about 2 threads holding the plugs in. The problem's came after the factory plugs were replaced, because they were only s'posed to be torqued to like 16 lbs - many folks way over torqued them and damaged the threads which tended to cause the plugs to blow out of the head. Even if that happens, there's a relatively simple fix for it. But some time in '01 I believe, for sure by '02, Ford had gone to like 5 threads in the heads, and the blown out plug issue pretty much went away. Never heard anything about head studs rotting off, or any other kind of issues with the heads outside of the spark plug thing.

Mileage isn't great, but also isn't nearly as bad as most people think. I had an '01 F250 V-10 with an automatic and 3.73 gears - it got 14 empty on the highway, 10 with a 20' x 6'8" gooseneck full of cattle, I averaged 11-12 as a farm truck/daily driver. It was a great truck, I loved the motor but it was two wheel drive and I couldn't live with that. I'd buy another one today if I could find one I wanted.

But all that's beside the point - the question was what will it pull. That 20' stock trailer was the biggest thing I ever pulled with mine, and like I said, you could cram it full and go as fast as you wanted. These motors make their power at higher rpm's than a diesel, so don't be afraid to wind it up a little more. I've also had a couple of the 5.4 V-8's in F-250's, and we hauled a lot of hay with them - 14 bales at 1100# each, and got along fine. We weren't trying to go fast though.

I tend to agree with DLD on the spark plug issue. I never have researched it myself though. I really dont think it was limited to the v-10, have heard of the 5.4 doing the same on blowing plugs out. My Excursion can get upto 15 mpg on the hwy if I drive it right. On average city/hwy its in the 10-12 range. On the Ford Forum, lotsa guys talkin about grossing 30k and pulling fine with the v-10.

I consider that miserable mileage!, I complain about my truck at 15-18mpg. If I drive it like I stole it I might be able to get down to 12, or wintertime when it spends hours idling. my truck is 7,000 lbs, I tow about 14,000 routinely, and that's a comfortable load around here... I guess in the flatlands I'd be comfortable with more.

I don't know about these advertised towing capacities, the new F150 is rated at 11,500 lbs towing capacity, I sure wonder how safe that is!, With an 11,000 lb trailer you're going to have about 1,100 lbs hitch weight, and when I have that on my dually, with airbags, I certainly feel I'm not empty

Nesikep, these new trucks can haul a load. My old heavy duty 92 model diesel farm truck can't come close to hauling what my new truck can. And the new one rides so much smoother, I don't know how the manufacturer's do it.

Nesi, I don't doubt that you get that kind of mileage - I wish I did - my Ford diesels have never gotten any better mileage than my gas trucks have (except for my old 6.9L idi). The thing is a V-10 truck will be several (like maybe ten) thousand dollars cheaper than a diesel with the same miles and in the same condition. You can buy a whole lot of gas for the that difference plus the difference in maintenance and repair costs.

DLD, that is very true too! If I didn't haul heavy loads often, I think I would go back to a gas truck.

Highgrit, Trucks down there are cheaper than here. I dont' think your vehicles get as much rust either, and your roads aren't as bad either, which leads to less wear and tear on the trucks.. good ones are much easier to find

Just spoke to a friend of mine who has a 2008 F150, and he hauled a little 2-ATV trailer with firewood on it, and he said that was about right for it

Latest posts