20 dirty credit card tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

You can't trust anyone anymore.....I wonder how dishonest people sleep at night.

Just while ago I was talking to my dad when the phone rang and my mother answered it.

My mother handed the phone to me, the female voice on the other end asked if she was speaking to me. I said, this is she and asked how I could help her. I couldn't get much out of her except that she had personnal business that she needed to discuss with me, but that I had to give 2 types of ID before she would discuss anything with me. I thought...yeah, right! About now, I'm PO. :mad:
I told the lady that whatever she had that she could mail it to me, because I was not going to give ID to her or anyone..period! The lady said she had mailed several letters to me, I asked what address was she mailing the letters to because I hadn't received anything except the normal stuff I get monthly, and if it was a credit card offer then it usually goes to shred. She still wouldn't tell me the address, kept asking for 2 types of ID. I couldn't even get a good company name out of her.....so beware of that! thank goodness she was standing in front of me, I think I would have knocked out. :devil2:

After having my CC number stolen and a very LARGE amount charged to that cc at a very nice college in another state....it's hard to know who you can trust anymore. :mad: Guess this is why I don't trust anyone anymore. :(

kerley":3ksxzk50 said:
:tiphat: Take a look at what bankrate.com lists as the 20 dirtiest tricks by credit card companies. Guess my friend who worked for a bank was right about the bank holding payments so the customer could be charged late fees. http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/20021106a.asp
Read the article twice but missed that one. And these are credit card companies...perhaps a subsidiary of a bank or using a bank's name on the front but not normally your home town bank. But, regardless it pays to read fine print. Not only relating to credit cards but any contract.

While you're at it read what your bank can do with your checking and savings accounts. That may surprise you as well. :(

TexasBred":1rt4k0qv said:
kerley":1rt4k0qv said:
:tiphat: Take a look at what bankrate.com lists as the 20 dirtiest tricks by credit card companies. Guess my friend who worked for a bank was right about the bank holding payments so the customer could be charged late fees. http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/20021106a.asp
Read the article twice but missed that one. And these are credit card companies...perhaps a subsidiary of a bank or using a bank's name on the front but not normally your home town bank. But, regardless it pays to read fine print. Not only relating to credit cards but any contract.

While you're at it read what your bank can do with your checking and savings accounts. That may surprise you as well. :(

Well, we all know a banker would never take advantage of anyone. So, TB, we can only assume that you weren't always a banker. At any rate, not when you were making 500 dollars a month in the seventies. Perhaps the point is that if a credit card company would change it's address in order to rack up late fees, holding onto mail in the mail room is not too far fetched. Credit card companies are pretty ruthless and I don't know about everyone else but when the card says Bank of America, or Chase or Citibank or Wachovia or Wells Fargo they are bank owned. These are the big guys that bought out the small ones. I'm sure you are the only honest banker on this board. Thank you for your banker's insight.
And, in response to the post by CB it is pretty revolting how some people on this board seem to think they are the only ones who have seen rough times. I often tell my children, I would not want to be them at this time in American history. Not everyone inherited their property, or had money left to them by the tooth fairy. Believe it or not there are honest people who work hard and barely make it. What exactly would you suggest they cut back on, food for the children, utility bills, or maybe don't pay the rent they could always live in one of the multiple cars sitting in the front yard.

Poverty Acres":3m4qt1g8 said:
And, in response to the post by CB it is pretty revolting how some people on this board seem to think they are the only ones who have seen rough times.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

These banks have turned into dyslexic Robin Hood's .......... they steal from the poor and give to the rich .

Larry

larryshoat":3kosd26d said:
These banks have turned into dyslexic Robin Hood's .......... they steal from the poor and give to the rich .

Larry

Or they steal from the poor and keep it. :x

Poverty have you actually HAD a bad experience with a bank or just spread hearsay etc? Most of the folks I know personally have high regards for their bank and banker. Why else would they do business there?

TexasBred":2a2i9gdj said:
Poverty have you actually HAD a bad experience with a bank or just spread hearsay etc? Most of the folks I know personally have high regards for their bank and banker. Why else would they do business there?
which part of my statement are you referring to as hearsay? The part where I call you an honest banker? or perhaps the part where you said you made $500 a month in the 70's Those are your words Mr. Banker.

VanC":3jodet7k said:
Poverty Acres":3jodet7k said:
And, in response to the post by CB it is pretty revolting how some people on this board seem to think they are the only ones who have seen rough times.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Agree completely. If each generation doesn't do better than the previous one, what are we working for? I know that my parents lived a much easier life than their parents. They had running water and electricity. :lol: And we've done better than they did. I'd hope my kids have an easier, better life than we've had. Caustic can't take all that money with him to the grave; he might as well buy that granddaughter a car. :D

Poverty Acres":aq4tg2ru said:
TexasBred":aq4tg2ru said:
which part of my statement are you referring to as hearsay? The part where I call you an honest banker? or perhaps the part where you said you made $500 a month in the 70's Those are your words Mr. Banker.

Heresay is repeating what someone else told you. Or is that gossip. ;-) Now answer my question. Have you really had an issue with your bank at sometime in the past or just don't like banks in general?

Oh my gosh, I totally forgot who I was dealing with. How long did it take you to look up 'hearsay' in Websters, TB? Then again, what a Banker says is truth in lending and what the public says is hearsay.

The only folks around here that hate the local bank or banks are the ones that took out loans then stopped making payments for one reason or another. The banks foreclose after a while and this makes them the bad guys. :roll: :nod:

mnmtrenching....I agree with your post. I don't know anything about the non paid loans or foreclosures. You may know more than I do about that. I believe this thread was started about credit cards and how the credit card companies raise interest rates at their pleasure which hurts many hard working Americans. Even Texas Bred admitted that if one gets into a bind and can't make a payment of 5.9% it doesn't seem fair to raise the interest to 19.99% . I think the issue goes beyond 19.9. When a credit card can legally raise interest rates to 36%, I call that greed. I'm not trying to start a quarrel, just my opinion. Tom

kerley":243ft01h said:
mnmtrenching....I agree with your post. I don't know anything about the non paid loans or foreclosures. You may know more than I do about that. I believe this thread was started about credit cards and how the credit card companies raise interest rates at their pleasure which hurts many hard working Americans. Even Texas Bred admitted that if one gets into a bind and can't make a payment of 5.9% it doesn't seem fair to raise the interest to 19.99% . I think the issue goes beyond 19.9. When a credit card can legally raise interest rates to 36%, I call that greed. I'm not trying to start a quarrel, just my opinion. Tom

Kerly that's all very true. Sure hurts that so many folks dont' have the locally owned bank anymore that dealt with the "man" and not an account number of credit score. And yes credit card companies can and sometimes are ruthless but 99% of the time the consumer triggers these escalations in interest rate and term. As long as you make one payment per month in a timely manner until paid in full you should never have trouble with your bank.

As for the dead heads that are going to foreclosure, most bankers have already carried these folks longer than their mama did so they get what they deserve.

With what banks are paying for money, charging anybody more than 10% on anything is the same as stealing .

Larry

My concern is there are many good, hard working people who have farms, cattle, equipment, mortgages as well as credit card debt. It is hard in todays society to get ahead without some kind of loan, especially our younger farmers and ranchers just starting out. We were not all born into families of wealth. Texas Bred, you use the term "Dead Head". Is This what some hard working people will become-- "Dead Heads" if they fail at farming due to an adverse economy? I know my dad lived through the depression and I remember him telling me how people suffered during that terrible time. Most of the people were just like me and even you. Always worked hard paid their debts and raised their children. I don't recall him saying they were dead heads because they couldn't pay the mortgage. Well, bye; I'm going out to charge some fencing material on my credit card. :wave:

kerley":2k01n5i1 said:
My concern is there are many good, hard working people who have farms, cattle, equipment, mortgages as well as credit card debt. It is hard in todays society to get ahead without some kind of loan, especially our younger farmers and ranchers just starting out. We were not all born into families of wealth. Texas Bred, you use the term "Dead Head". Is This what some hard working people will become-- "Dead Heads" if they fail at farming due to an adverse economy? I know my dad lived through the depression and I remember him telling me how people suffered during that terrible time. Most of the people were just like me and even you. Always worked hard paid their debts and raised their children. I don't recall him saying they were dead heads because they couldn't pay the mortgage. Well, bye; I'm going out to charge some fencing material on my credit card. :wave:

Kerley you know exactly what I meant by "dead head". They are the people that make it hard for these good hard working folks to borrow money. A few people hurt the whole system. This certainly isn't a perfect world so no matter how perfect your credit may be your next loan may cost you more to try and recoup the losses suffered due to those that didn't pay. But it probably won't be as high as the guy who has poorer credit than you. Heck anybody can fail at anything but it's no reason to throw in the towel and become a poster boy for failure.

I'll bet you're a winner tho. ;-) ;-)

"I'll bet you're a winner tho."

nice to see we agree on something, Texas Bred. :D Guess I'll go back to my original opinion. The credit card companies are greedy.

Yeah I think Credit cards are for the credit card companies. I think for the most part not a good thing to get dependent on. And no one is forced to get hooked on them. I only feel a little sorry for those that get in over their heads. Each case is different, but I believe dept is brought on by excessive spending. I am doing just fine without having a credit card.