2 questions

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

1st: Feeding cotton seed. I saw on this board some times in the past, can't find it now, that feeding cotton seed interfered with milk production if fed to young heifers. comments as I use cotten seed here in SW Ga. and it is a staple for winter feed for most people. 2nd: diatomaceous Earth. I have read that it will rid internal parasites and other things if used regular in prescribed quanities. Can be liquified and poured on. It is cheap if it works as a wormer.

[email protected]

Cotton seed affects bulls fertility, never heard of a problem with heifers. Read a report about a month ago on the effectiveness of diamatceous earth. What it boiled down to was that folks said it worked but when the did fecal exams it was determined it didn't. Go figure. I don't see anyway it could do anything internally in a cow when poured on there backs, all the are is tiny skeletons

dun

> 1st: Feeding cotton seed. I saw on
> this board some times in the past,
> can't find it now, that feeding
> cotton seed interfered with milk
> production if fed to young
> heifers. comments as I use cotten
> seed here in SW Ga. and it is a
> staple for winter feed for most
> people. 2nd: diatomaceous Earth. I
> have read that it will rid
> internal parasites and other
> things if used regular in
> prescribed quanities. Can be
> liquified and poured on. It is
> cheap if it works as a wormer.

I don't recall ever reading anything about cottonseed being bad for young heifers from the milking standpoint. The usual problem is that young heifers don't like to eat the seed until they have been "taught to learn like it" by feeding it along with some tasty topdressing. And of course you are probably aware of the poundage limitations that you should stay within. The heifer milking issue that I am most familiar with has to do with getting them too fat overall, such that extra fat deposits accumulate in their udders. Apparently once the fatty deposits "catch hold" in the udders they are somewhat permanent and adversely affect the animal's milk capacity even if a leaner diet program is adopted.

noticed that you are raising cattle in SW Ga. Just wondered where, since I also have some there.

[email protected]

Latest posts