2 out of 3 calfs have died within 4 days

Help Support CattleToday:

grulla

Reaction score
we have had 3 births and 2 deaths within 4 days of birth... both were treated for coccidiosis.. both were diagnosed by fecal to vet.. botrh had back leg muscle issues.... we think pehaps vets missed this one and it could be Rotavirus scours.. but whats the muscle weakness thing??? Please help...thanks in advance

What sort of back leg issues?
Couldit be white muscle disease due to selenium deficiency?
Just throwing that out there- I'm a newbie but that's what came to mind. I'm sure other's with actual experience will chime in soon-
Susie

Calf is "hunched". I thought with the first one that the mama had maybe stepped on it's back leg...acted almost like it was broken, or severely bruised...then it manifested in both hind legs. He would stand on one or the other hind legs, but would drag them in a way that made me think of kids with cystic fibrosis.

Since coccidiosis can't be the cause of death in calves that young--it takes 6 days for a oocyst to be detected in the stool after infection at a minimum...yup, your vet blew it. At that age, viruses or e-coli, mineral deficiencies like selenium etc...

V

About two years ago I had a beautiful South Devon bull calf born at Brisbane Royal show. No problems,healthy,travelled home OK a day or so after he arrived he looked unwell this was day six he was dead by the next morning. The vet suspected E coli. I'll be immunising the three calves on cows that are off to Brisbane next month.
I had a nice South Devon/Hereford show steer die (never even got him to a show) up and die. In good condition,the vet did a PM on him the diagnosis was pulpy kidney. When we looked he had cysts in his kidneys. When he first died I suspected black leg. I know immunise all our show cattle with 7 in 1 vaccine every six months. The steer that had died had his usual weaning immunisation but I didn't realise that he should have had another follow up especially when on feed.
Even old blokes like me learn things the hard way.You are never too old to learn
Colin

Hunched usually means the calf is feeling pain....and most often in the belly when hunched severely.......consider the illnesses that may exsist there.

you can and should treat for systemic illnesses such as e-coli, salmonilla, etc.

If you include a pain and swelling reducer such as Banamine with yr teatment, and the calf starts to relax that hunch a bit, then you know you are likely on the right track!
Good luck! :cboy:

Latest posts