2 embryo calves born still born

Help Support CattleToday:

Diamond-B

Reaction score
I have lost 2 embryo calves in the last week, both from same flush. I found first one dead and could tell it was still born it had a smell to it. Second calf this morning, cow was calving so I came back in the house for some coffee and went back out 20 minutes later and as I walked up to the pen the cow popped the calf out. I went over to the calf and put o piece of hay in the nose to make it cough but no movement, then I rubbed and did CPR or something like that but nothing. I fianally came to the conclusion that calf is still born when I poked the eye with my finger and no reaction and the pupil was dilated.
Now after reading about my week anyone have any thoughts as to what might have happend? Also my 9 month son is sick today so it's daddy daycare today and the weather sucks.

Not a good day all around for you. No suggestions on the calves. Hope your son gets better.

Sorry for your loss. Real bummer to wait all year for a calf - let alone an ET calf.
I would be getting concerned about some kind of disease. There are many diseases that cause abortions, but some just cause weak or still borns.
First one, I wouldn't be concerned - two - time to get a vet involved with some tests on the stillborn.

I would like to do neocropsy done but the lab is an hour away and I can't go because my son is sick.
The thing that really sucks is the donor cow died last summer (got her head stuck and bloated) and semen company didn't fill my tank on time so I lost all my embryos from the donor. Ithink I'm just having a run of bad luck. When you have a week like this, you wonder why do we do this?
Another thing that sucks is that I only had 12 calves due this year.

Hope your son gets better.
Thanks Frankie.
I think he's teething, or maybe a stomach bug not sure but if he won't eat or drink when he wakes up we'll be going to see the doctor.

Diamond-B":t6u7kcrl said:
I think he's teething, or maybe a stomach bug not sure but if he won't eat or drink when he wakes up we'll be going to see the doctor.

If you have to tube him don;t forget the electrolites

dun

Diamond-B":o5ji7p5b said:
Now after reading about my week anyone have any thoughts as to what might have happend?
cows are like slots , they'll always find a way to take your money eventually.

With two stillbirths and a sick toddler I would be slightly concerned that they may be connected. Such diseases as lepto and salmonella cause abortion/stillbirth in cattle and are transmissable to humans.
As a vet regularly handling sick animals I would be getting my babes to the doctor if I had the slightest suspicion they were sick from something I carried home from work!

Latest posts