2 down calves

Help Support CattleToday:

skip7879

Reaction score
Ok guys I am at a loss here with these two calves. I started noticing 2 calves in my group starting to go down hill so I thought I would give them penicillin for a couple days and keep an eye on them. Well they were at the time still standing and eating with the group just slowly losing condition. Well come this tuesday they wouldn't stand on there own but they would go eat once I stood them up so I talked to the vet and she recommended draxxin so I gave them draxxin started using electrolytes and they kept going down hill by Tuesday night I thought wednesday I would find acouple dead ones out there. So wednesday they were alive but cold and so more electrolytes and Vit B Complex and sure start feed same stuff used for baby calves for more energy. Today they are still alive but not standing I gave them more pen. last night and today. They are still eating and drinking out of a bucket (with electrolytes and sulfa in the water.) when i get them up. I gave them milk this morning. AM I fighting a losing battle or is there still hope? What should I do next ? They have been weaned for better than a month now and weight maybe 125 lbs at best. Any opinon is welcomed

hard to say without seeing them and the conditions etc.
sounds like they are not eating ?
or not enough nutrition in what they are eating ?
are they on feed, hay, pasture or what ?

skip7879":3nl7s5cx said:
Ok guys I am at a loss here with these two calves. I started noticing 2 calves in my group starting to go down hill so I thought I would give them penicillin for a couple days and keep an eye on them. Well they were at the time still standing and eating with the group just slowly losing condition. Well come this tuesday they wouldn't stand on there own but they would go eat once I stood them up so I talked to the vet and she recommended draxxin so I gave them draxxin started using electrolytes and they kept going down hill by Tuesday night I thought wednesday I would find acouple dead ones out there. So wednesday they were alive but cold and so more electrolytes and Vit B Complex and sure start feed same stuff used for baby calves for more energy. Today they are still alive but not standing I gave them more pen. last night and today. They are still eating and drinking out of a bucket (with electrolytes and sulfa in the water.) when i get them up. I gave them milk this morning. AM I fighting a losing battle or is there still hope? What should I do next ? They have been weaned for better than a month now and weight maybe 125 lbs at best. Any opinon is welcomed

How old are these calves?

They are about 4 or 5 mo old and they are still eating I am giving them a calf starter feed

skip7879":1p983tvx said:
They are about 4 or 5 mo old and they are still eating I am giving them a calf starter feed
What breed are they? You stated at first:
"They have been weaned for better than a month now and weight maybe 125 lbs at best."

125 lbs for 4 0r 5 months old is really small. Maybe you meant weeks?

Nope the one has lost a ton of weight and I am going by the fact that I can lift them. They are Holsteins.

That is really small for that age. Are they still with the group? If not I would get them penned by themselves so you can be sure what they eat and drink.

Are they scouring? If so they may be dehydrated. Not sure where you are but it does not take long if it is hot to get dehydrated.

Our vet has suggested a poly serum as a aid on sick calves, we used it and saved those calves but may have without it. If they are still taking milk several small feedings a day might be best.

Wonder why that one lost that much weight? Maybe the vet needs to personally see them.

I'd like to see a picture, but it sounds like you're underfeeding them, drastically. A 4-5 month old Holstein calf should weigh over 300lbs, and even if they lost body fat and muscle, the calf's frame itself should be 200lbs+ and too bulky (height, length) for even an adult man to lift.

How much grain/day are they eating? how much hay? what type of hay?

I'd suggest having your vet have a look at them to figure out exactly what you're dealing with. Probably looking something like coccidiosis, worms, pneumonia, ulcers, malnutrition, and/or a variety of other problems.

The group is eating eight pound of grain a day with a pound of hay and looking good the sick calf may weigh more I am just guessing

How big is the group?

Rule of thumb for bottle calves: 2% of body weight in grain (ie, 200lb calf needs 4lbs/hd/day) plus free choice, good quality hay.

milkmaid":3ajq75oa said:
How big is the group?

Rule of thumb for bottle calves: 2% of body weight in grain (ie, 200lb calf needs 4lbs/hd/day) plus free choice, good quality hay.
:nod:

8 pounds a day for even the 2 sick ones alone seems low. I usually put out what hay they cleanup between feedings, keep gradually increasing as they clean it up.

I even keep a round bale out for the feeders with them being on a small pasture, they need plenty of grass or hay.

Latest posts