2 Day old heifer calf with joint ill....

Help Support CattleToday:

No hard feelings skeeter! The calf seems to be doing fine, we held the banamine yesterday and today just to see what we saw?? She seems okay to me, she is now taking a full bottle of milk replacer twice a day we will continue the probios as long as it will last manly because hubby was putting the tube in mouth and giving and even though I'm still not 100% convinced that this was/is joint ill, I don't want to take any chances either. So far we will just watch a see.... Thanks All Again! Love the Site!

Nichole you can get a jar of powdered probios and put it in her milk replacer. Cheapest and easiest way to do it. Did you talk to the vet about more antibiotics?

Nope, and unless she starts showing signs of illness we have decided to wait and see. She is doing fine, drinking her bottle well. We are going to finish the probios that we have until it's gone just because but I think she's doing okay. Joints seem to be looking a little better, cord still has no pus or anything. We shall see....

Spoke too soon....got home from work this morning to find out that she died last night. Our daughter went out to feed her and she was lying on her side, my husband said she was just barely alive and luckily didn't have to put her down since she was nearly gone. I hate not knowing, thinking of opening her and looking at her joints, I just worry that we are missing something and would hate to lose anymore. Soooo frustrating! She seemed to be doing fine, taking her bottles well and everything then boom. At 5:30 she was running around the pen, 9:00 dead???? Crazy, crazy!

Thurs was her last dose, I guess hind sight we should have been more aggressive but you know he doesn't think she got any colostrum at all from her momma and I doubt he got the supp colostrum in her in time. I would say that if it wasn't this it would've been pneumonia or something else. At least this way we weren't too accustomed to her yet. Dang little calves can hurt your heart, doesn't seem to matter how many times you do it.... Horrible thing is that my Em had to see her dying and I just hate that, I guess she was pretty upset last night. I have decided not to PM her. I worked 14hours last night and we have no good reason to think that it was anything other than joint ill in this sweet little calf with no immunity. Just glad my husband gets to take care of burying her and I get to miss out on that. Thanks for your support! Wish it would've ended on a better note............

Like Skeeter said I've had same symptoms in the past in newborns and it was bvd. Sorry for you loss

Latest posts