2 bulls or 1?

Help Support CattleToday:

bandit80

Reaction score
Need some opinions.

I currently have a fall and spring calving herd, both with 40 cows. I currently have 2 bulls to service these cows. The older bull will be 5 in the spring, and the other will be 2 later this fall. The 5 year old is a very average bull, the 2 year old is a much better bull in my opinion, and he is also homo black and polled. I synchronize and AI approximately 2/3 of the cows in each herd, and then use the bulls to clean-up.

I am thinking that I only need one bull. If I AI say 24 cows out of the fall herd and achieve my usual conception rate of 75%, that is 18 cows settled to AI. That leaves only 22 cows for a bull to actually breed, or do you use the math that he is with 40 cows and therefore has to cover 40. I would love the idea of only having 1 bull to cover my 80 cow herd, and continue to utilize AI to get new genetics into the herd. I could also justify spending more money and buying a really good bull if I only need one.

My pastures are not overly big. Fall calving cows have a 25 acre piece they are on during breeding season, and the spring calvers pasture is about 120 acres.

Appreciate any comments.

going through that same thing right now, going to AI fall calvers so no need to carry 2 bulls. i have a harder choice both have produced seedstock bulls and heifers one is red one is black. leaning towards the red bull now but who knows. if i was you one bulls is alot easier then 2. good luck

I thought of this thread when I was reading thru Kit Pharos catalog-and came across his "Sex is NOT Work for a Bull" article...

Our bullsare not sissy bulls. Theyare bredand developed in sucha way that they don't fallapart during the breeding season. In fact, most of our bulls willactually gain weight while breeding cows. They go to work every morning witha big smile on their face, because breeding cowsis NOT work for them.

Our recommended cow to bull stocking ratio will vary from ranch to ranch, but itis much higher than the norm. Weare notafraid to recommend turning our yearling bulls out with 25 to 40 cows. We think our 2-year old bulls can handle 30 to 50 cows. Our mature bulls should beable to cover 50 to 80 cows. We know of several cases where our bulls have successfully exceeded these rates.

I don't thinkanyone really knows how many cowsan easy-fleshing, fertile bull can get settled. However, I believe some ranchers may beable to get by with halfas many bulls simply by using the right type of bulls.

Fullarticle:

http://www.pharocattle.com/Fall-Catalog-2010/pg59.htm

Latest posts