1st draft of synchronized cows are calving.

Help Support CattleToday:

AudieWyoming

Reaction score
When I bred cows last spring I synchronized the heifers and early calving cows to start calving Feb. 7 with a CIDR/ Lutalyse/GNRH program. Then I synchronized the rest to 21 days later to match any repeats, after the activity died down I turned the cleanup bull out. I pulled the bulls 17 days later and heat detected for 5 or 6 days.

The first draft are calving now here in Alabama. The first calf came Jan. 26, the first 7 were heifers and there were 8 hfrs and 2 bulls as of Sat. night. (the 6th) I have 21 in the calving trap counting the ones that have calved, got 3 today so far and had a set of feet showing, I need to go check after half time.

I think there are about 4 more still out north with the others. If they are going to hit their preg check they better " come a clucking".

My wife was home today and took several pictures for her facebook. She has several "cute" pictures and lots of head shots, if I find any cow pictures I will try to get her to help me post a couple here.@

Don't you just love it when the plans come together? Sounds like all is going well for you so far. Here's hoping that the rest come just as quickly and as easily.

How's the game so far? We don't get "Network" TV, and couldn't get out to our friends 'bowl' party.

Katherine

10-6 Indy halftime NO just got a TD in the 3rd

The feet belonged to a Total bull, he was up and eating when I checked. :banana: @

AudieWyoming":1pqlb2gc said:

I think there are about 4 more still out north with the others. If they are going to hit their preg check they better " come a clucking".@

Sure enough 1 of the 4 I left out had a bull calf early this morning. You can sort heavy's for 40 years, but you can never out guess them. :nod: @

Glad things seemed to work out OK..were you pleased with your program as far as how much of a hassle it was to actually do it, etc? I did a Lute/GnRH program this fall. It was a long program but the tech said when he bred them they felt to be in great heat. Still have to get the vet out to check though! It was cheaper than buying a bull and if they are bred then it is something that I would definitely do again.

LoveMoo11,

The results appear to be at least satisfactory or better, I will break it down more before breeding season. I know it was an expensive proposition! A lot will depend on the final cost per calf and how tight the cleanup calves bunch to the program calves. I was able to reuse all the CIDRS on the second round, with fresh ones in the problem cows.

I have always just painted all the cows and 12 hour bred on natural heats for about the first 35 days or so and tried to force the late calvers, twin mothers, and 3 year olds with some kind of program matched to the end of the AI season.

Last year I was scheduled to be away from the ranch several days in May, and didn't have the free time to dedicate to heat detection and breeding every day. It just makes sense to try and bunch more cows early in the season instead of the middle, especially if I am calving them in NW Alabama instead of Wyoming in February. @

Audie,

Sounds like you got it all figured out, even got alittle snow headed your way so the cows still think they are in Wyoming...

Who did you use for AI bulls other than Total?

The cows love it but I must be getting old. I didn't think I would need Insulated coveralls down here. Its a good thing when we brought the loader tractor and some odds and ends on a simi trailer in November, we loaded and left in the middle of a blizzard. I bundle up for 30 degrees :frowns: here like I'm still in Wyoming. I'm looking forward to getting a full crop of ears this year though.

This is my third crop of TC Total 410s and ACL Big Eye D09N calves. I last minute brought in B/R New Day 454 for the Big Eye heifers even though his acc. was low, also used up the last of the SAF Strategy and Directive semen.@

jscunn":1p4yjy1h said:
Audie,

Sounds like you got it all figured out, even got alittle snow headed your way so the cows still think they are in Wyoming...

Who did you use for AI bulls other than Total?

I used to try to grade every heat A,B,C,D or BB and every insemination, until i figured out the A Insemination into a "perfect girl gome stringer heat" could still repeat, and the heifer that stood on her head,rolled on her back, s--t in your boot, and flicked the gun across the yard with her tail, settled every time. :) @

LoveMoo11":rn1h12rt said:
It was a long program but the tech said when he bred them they felt to be in great heat. Still have to get the vet out to check though!

They will make a liar out of you every time - calving & breeding. Hubby leaves all the "choosing" who's going to go first up to me because I'm pretty good at it - BUT, there's always that one that looks "ready" for a week, and than there's the one that pops that looks a week away! I keep records as to what they "look" like each year, so I am able to figure out some of the "sneakie" ones. Notice I said SOME of them.

Had a good week, I moved the pairs out of the calving trap this morning. I'm just waiting on 3 springers now. I even picked up 2 cows I had preg checked as, 100 days bred in September. I needed 135 for the Feb. 7th due date.
It looks like I will have I bigger gap between the 2 sync groups than I anticipated. I see several from the Feb. 28 group "Sag'n an bag'n" but nobody I want to bring up yet. It looks like only 1 of the 3 will calve right up, the other 2 look a ways off. But I have been wrong before! :dunce: @ :dunce:

AudieWyoming":qespp3ah said:
When I bred cows last spring I synchronized the heifers and early calving cows to start calving Feb. 7 with a CIDR/ Lutalyse/GNRH program. Then I synchronized the rest to 21 days later to match any repeats, after the activity died down I turned the cleanup bull out. I pulled the bulls 17 days later and heat detected for 5 or 6 days.

The first draft are calving now here in Alabama. The first calf came Jan. 26, the first 7 were heifers and there were 8 hfrs and 2 bulls as of Sat. night. (the 6th) I have 21 in the calving trap counting the ones that have calved, got 3 today so far and had a set of feet showing, I need to go check after half time.

I think there are about 4 more still out north with the others. If they are going to hit their preg check they better " come a clucking".

My wife was home today and took several pictures for her facebook. She has several "cute" pictures and lots of head shots, if I find any cow pictures I will try to get her to help me post a couple here.@

Just starting to get calves out of the 2nd sync group. Cherie's pictures are all 2-5+ MB I can't clip them down enough to get them on ranchers. Any suggestions? Here are some poor pics off my cell phone. @

IMG_15971.JPG

cow_6888_calf_0886.jpg

cell_pic_into_sun.jpg

IMG_1591.JPG

Latest posts