1st calf heifer need suggestions

Help Support CattleToday:

kwsuggs

Reaction score
Hey, This is my first post, Iam looking for suggestions on getting my 1st calf heifer that calved on 6/12/11 to eat. She prolasped after calving and is having it seems depression issues. We are bottle feeding the calf who is doing great, but mom will not eat and has not produced any milk since the 1st nursing from the calf. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Kevin in SC

kwsuggs":2f2q2mir said:
Hey, This is my first post, Iam looking for suggestions on getting my 1st calf heifer that calved on 6/12/11 to eat. She prolasped after calving and is having it seems depression issues. We are bottle feeding the calf who is doing great, but mom will not eat and has not produced any milk since the 1st nursing from the calf. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Kevin in SC

Check for infection - rectal temp - from putting the prolapse back in.

After 5 days she's probably not going to come back into much milk anyway. Figure you have a bottle calf and as was mentioned, check for infection

Thanks, for the input I have the vet coming back out to check on her. He seems to think that the uterus maybe infected. The calf is bottle feeding and doing good. I just hope she will be able to gain good weight w/o nursing mom. I will keep you posted. Thanks again.

Kevin in SC

From experience if she is not expensive breeding stock try to get her well and get some weight on her and refrain from breeding her again, opting instead to salvage her as a slaughter cow. Fertility has been greatly reduced and you will struggle to get her bred, if you are even sucessful, and additionally you run the risk of her going through this again. This is the side of calving none of us want to deal with.

kjonesel":k7i6n16p said:
From experience if she is not expensive breeding stock try to get her well and get some weight on her and refrain from breeding her again, opting instead to salvage her as a slaughter cow. Fertility has been greatly reduced and you will struggle to get her bred, if you are even sucessful, and additionally you run the risk of her going through this again. This is the side of calving none of us want to deal with.

Good advice!

in the long term i would agree and not breed her again if possible.

in the short term hit her with some engimycen and benicellin (and possibly oxytocin if your feeling stab happy). engimycen and benicellin will deal with to possible infection and oxytocin with contract her uterus and help milk production too.... just read the instructions and meat with-holing periods (especially if you want to eat her). she'll come good as new! (I hope I spelt the names right!)

good luck!

Latest posts