1973 or 2008

Help Support CattleToday:

do you think there will be government price limits put in place? There sure has been enough whining from producers...

BTRANCH":3ilkfzdc said:
do you think there will be government price limits put in place? There sure has been enough whining from producers...

If we get a big enough crop of "change" democrats in washington, there is no telling what's going to happen. Price controls and higher taxes are possible. Why don't we just ship Jimmy Carter back to DC? :help:

grannysoo":15mxmfq3 said:
BTRANCH":15mxmfq3 said:

If we get a big enough crop of "change" democrats in washington, there is no telling what's going to happen. Price controls and higher taxes are possible. Why don't we just ship Jimmy Carter back to DC? :help:

Good Lord no once was enough in my life time, sounds just like the idiot running today.
How many remember the chats where Carter was telling us to wear sweaters and turn down the thermostat's.
The botched Middle East policies of his term that lead to oil embargoes and Americans being held hostage for over a year, inflation at 16 to 18%.
Please lets never go back to that again.

Caustic Burno":1p06vh33 said:
Good Lord no once was enough in my life time, sounds just like the idiot running today.
How many remember the chats where Carter was telling us to wear sweaters and turn down the thermostat's.
The botched Middle East policies of his term that lead to oil embargoes and Americans being held hostage for over a year, inflation at 16 to 18%.
Please lets never go back to that again.

I was in my teens then, but I remember well how my father struggled with his business loans at 21% interest, the 16 - 18 % inflation, and it was a struggle. We've got the inflation now, just not the interest rates. Put a few of them idiots in DC and it will be the Jimmy Carter days again.

Scary thought... :help:

I don't think anybody Democrat or Republican is dumb enough to let inerest rates go back to what the were in the 70's and 80's. I also don't think they will put any price freezes on commodities. But what they might do is freeze the price of gas at some point. I think if it starts to get around $7-8 per gallon they might do it. And that might throw everything out of kilter but so would $8 gasoline.

We'll see.

Nixon (a republican) was the one who did the intial price freezes. People need to start thinking and letting their representives know what they think instead of playing home team politics and letting the parties do all the think and the deciding for them.

The difference for me is that this time I will be on the other end of it.

If you get double digit inflation, kids should buy all they can get the banks to loan them the money to acquire.

Old folks on fixed incomes are going to be hurting extremely bad. There are ways to hedge against inflation but it is like playing poker.

I agree with everything CB said about this subject. Jimmy worked his tail off and probably worked more hours that any other president in history. Bless his heart, he just couldn't do the right things and nothing went the way he anticipated it to go. All of his actions resulted in opposite reactions.

Busterz":1bj3klqx said:
I don't think anybody Democrat or Republican is dumb enough to let inerest rates go back to what the were in the 70's and 80's. I also don't think they will put any price freezes on commodities. But what they might do is freeze the price of gas at some point. I think if it starts to get around $7-8 per gallon they might do it. And that might throw everything out of kilter but so would $8 gasoline.

We'll see.

Nixon (a republican) was the one who did the intial price freezes. People need to start thinking and letting their representives know what they think instead of playing home team politics and letting the parties do all the think and the deciding for them.

You really don't think this generation is smart enough to keep the economy from tanking and runaway inflation. This is a cycle and history repeats itself about every 30 to 40 years.

A lot of the problems with the economy in 1973 had to do with the debt that we incured with the Viet Nam war. :tiphat:

Well, I don't know if it's my computer but I can't open that file........ so what does it say???

Price controls, from what you all have said, is to be put on what???

Latest posts