$185,000 STEER

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
News tonight showed the bidding and sale of the Champion Steer at the Fort Worth Fat Stock Show. $185,000 bought by XTO Oil. The young lady was interviewed that showed the steer, she said that the price sure had a lot of Zeros.

Just a stupid beginner question...

Why would someone pay 185,000 for a steer? I can see for a cow or a bull, that can reproduce and improve a farm's genetics, but why a steer? Bragging rights? I mean... you can only get so much beef off of it...

How long can you show a steer for, and can you win money for it?

Someone help me understand this please :p

TCFC

TCFC....that's not a stupid question at all! That's actually a very intelligent question. $185,000 for a steer is a side splitting joke and there is no way for you or I to understand it.

It is bragging rights. And XTO was a big sponsor this year of the stock show. They will have a big corporate party within the next month or so and the rich cats and their guests will consume that $185,000 and go away feeling quite righteous. And the child that sold the steer will, hopefully, have her way paid to college...at least that's what everyone is normally led to believe will happen with the money.

Alice

well they put a limit on hoy much mony the kid actually recives, anything over that limit is givin to the stock show for scholarships. The kid will use the $$ to either pay back her parents, buy an animal for next year or save it for college

the people who raise the grand champions put TONS of $$ into it and lots of time

I didn't know limits were put on how much the steer's owner actully received, Angus Senorita. Thanks for mentioning it. Looks like XTO really did sink a lot of money in the stock show this year, what with sponsoring it AND paying so much for that steer.

Alice

This $$ is spent for advertisement & support of the 4-H & FFA kids. In Houston the champion steer is limited to $40,000.00 to the exhibitor. The rest goes to HLSR which is returned to the kids in scholarships & such. Great way to support the kids & advertise at the same time. IF you got that kind of $$ to spend.

The company didn't pay that much for just the steer and they probably don't even care about eating the steer. They pay that much for advertising and all of the publicity that they are receiving. As far as how long you can show a steer- we usually start showing ours when they are 8 months and end when they are 16-20 months depending on how they are growing, and yes you can make money off of showing a steer.

Alice":17ut1m2i said:
It is bragging rights. And XTO was a big sponsor this year of the stock show. They will have a big corporate party within the next month or so and the rich cats and their guests will consume that $185,000 and go away feeling quite righteous. And the child that sold the steer will, hopefully, have her way paid to college...at least that's what everyone is normally led to believe will happen with the money.

Alice
According to the News the steer is going to the Fort Worth Zoo.

they also did that last year, I find it a bit suspiciuos that they don't want to slaughter their steer, I wonder if they are hiding something

Also- people who buy the animals get tax deductions, it is considered a donation

hurleyjd":oqqcbxcl said:
Alice":oqqcbxcl said:

Alice
According to the News the steer is going to the Fort Worth Zoo.

Really! I need to keep up to date on this stuff, I guess. I remember when companies would buy those steers then have a big tooodooo and serve the beef. I might have to gather up the grandkids and make a trip to the zoo sometime when the weather is cooperating. :D

Alice

For the most part these buyers are doing for the tax write off, if they donate the animal somewhere. They know the FFA and 4-H kids are a good group of kids, so thats where they support.

I thought the kid can get up to $75,000 at Houston? Sometimes the steer there will go for over $600,000. I know the meat isnt that good to pay overhalf a million dollars. But most of that money is going to scholarships and the show.

*Cowgirl*":2zjrhguq said:
Cowgirl are you referring to the Japanese cattle that are so prized in Japan. We have a Japanese in our area that has a ranch and is specializing in these cattle. He made his fortune bass fishing and mfg. bass fishing lures before going into the Wagyu beef business. Plan is to furnish all the upscale resturants in the country with Wagyu.

Latest posts