I'm new to cattle since last March. I raised some bottle calves over the year. I bought a mature cow in October. All my others are calves so she did not fit in. In December I decided to sell her. Then she got diarrhea. I changed her feed then dewormed her. Finally after 5 weeks of the runs her stool was normal. She had lost a lot of weight. A guy offered to trade a small but healthy steer. My 14 yr old child is in ffa so I agreed so she could use him as a project. The guy spent an hour at the house deciding if he wanted to trade or not. He did the deal. I hadnt preg checked her but I agreed that if he got her checked and she was open I would give him $200. My child has the steer nearly halter broke now. After he had the cow several days he called and said she was down. We talked about possible causes. I'm just guessing as I'm new to cows. He had a cow friend come over and gave her lots of meds. She seemed to be improving but tonight looks like she is dying. He ask if he could bring her back. I said no. I'm looking for opinions on whether to give back steer or give him cash or give him nothing as he knew more about cows than I did. I feel bad. I'm sad for the cow and wonder of she would be doing ok if I still had her. I'm a poor school teacher so this would be a big loss for us. I don't want a bad reputation either.