Traded a cow for a steer nownow it died

Help Support CattleToday:

darcelina4

Reaction score
I'm new to cattle since last March. I raised some bottle calves over the year. I bought a mature cow in October. All my others are calves so she did not fit in. In December I decided to sell her. Then she got diarrhea. I changed her feed then dewormed her. Finally after 5 weeks of the runs her stool was normal. She had lost a lot of weight. A guy offered to trade a small but healthy steer. My 14 yr old child is in ffa so I agreed so she could use him as a project. The guy spent an hour at the house deciding if he wanted to trade or not. He did the deal. I hadnt preg checked her but I agreed that if he got her checked and she was open I would give him $200. My child has the steer nearly halter broke now. After he had the cow several days he called and said she was down. We talked about possible causes. I'm just guessing as I'm new to cows. He had a cow friend come over and gave her lots of meds. She seemed to be improving but tonight looks like she is dying. He ask if he could bring her back. I said no. I'm looking for opinions on whether to give back steer or give him cash or give him nothing as he knew more about cows than I did. I feel bad. I'm sad for the cow and wonder of she would be doing ok if I still had her. I'm a poor school teacher so this would be a big loss for us. I don't want a bad reputation either.

Your call, but when I make a deal on a cow, the minute I drive off with one loaded and locked into my trailer, it's MY animal.

Not yet but he texted she was weak and he was might put her put of her misery.

I usually deal as "What you see is what you get", but I don't lie about anything either.. Also, once I have it, it's mine and unless there was an explicit warranty, any loss is my loss.

It is a tough situation... I certainly wouldn't give him a steer for a dead cow, but depending on how it feels to you, offer the $200 for "pregnant" cow back, and just say you can't afford anything else and your kid is attached to the steer now (won't you THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN!!!?)..

Nesikep":1oy42suj said:
I usually deal as "What you see is what you get", but I don't lie about anything either.. Also, once I have it, it's mine and unless there was an explicit warranty, any loss is my loss.

It is a tough situation... I certainly wouldn't give him a steer for a dead cow, but depending on how it feels to you,
offer the $200 for "pregnant" cow back, and just say you can't afford anything else
and your kid is attached to the steer now (won't you THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN!!!?)
OMG has that thinking regarding children spread that far North too! Thought Canadians had more sense than that.
News report yesterday morning about how children now rule families in America rather than the parents.

Nesi is right about what you see is what you get... deal done... see ya later bye.

You are under No obligation in an as is sale. Buyer's remorse isn't your concern. However...
Because you included a pregnancy clause you created an expectation, dead cows within 30 days of a sale don't calve.
Return $200 and he should kiss your feet at your generosity as technically you don't have to, but you did create the
expectation agreement and though not legally binding in the event of death, in the long run it's the right thing to do.

Let him keep the sick/dying cow. You don't need her back to deal with what you already know is a problem cow.
Be a role model to your daughter, do the right thing, it is more important no matter if you are rich or poor never
give the impression to your children that you are willing to skin your fellow man for personal gain, return $200

WalnutCrest":rilgilam said:
Is the cow safe to butcher?
How recently was she given meds?
What's the withdrawal period for whatever she was given?
According to the timeline she stated, the cow was treated by a friend of new owner in mid to late January.
But those are all the New Owner's problems/concerns now not hers.

wbvs58":khrkinve said:
If she dies cut her open to see if pregnant so you know whether to give the $200 back.
A valid solution although I'd just give him the $200 to protect my reputation and as example of honesty to my daughter.
Because she advertised and sold by private treaty what she already knew was a problem cow (sick for 5 weeks prior)
and was only able to close the sale by agreeing to guarantee a pregnancy. We weren't there, but I suspect cow's
health/soundness may have been represented to the buyer as she just needs more groceries. Her comments about
being poor and my child has put a halter on the steer and walked it just strike me as excuses in covering guilt.

I told him repeatedly that she had the diarrhea for the 5 weeks. I told him everything I had done for her. I have nothing to feel guilty about. I have a bad habit of feeling like everything should come out equal but I usually end up being on the bottom of the deal and I rarely come out on top of any deal. I'm sure if it was the other way he would tell me to piss off. I appreciate all of the replies. I've learned a lot of valuable info that helped me with my baby calves from other threads on this site. A lot of people here seem to have a lot of knowledge and experience.

Son of Butch":dfmqb5wf said:
WalnutCrest":dfmqb5wf said:
Is the cow safe to butcher?
How recently was she given meds?
What's the withdrawal period for whatever she was given?
According to the timeline she stated, the cow was treated by a friend of new owner in mid to late January.
But those are all the New Owner's problems/concerns now not hers.

Who knows what they diagnosed or treated. If the neighbor/friend of the owner isn't a good vet, I'd be suspect as to whether or not the cow was diagnosed and treated properly.

If close to mid January, and depending on drugs used, the cow may only be a few days away from being eligible for slaughter. In which case, the new owner can grind the cow and sell grounds beef off the farm to recoup their costs.

Questions like this puzzle me. What ever I buy, as soon as money changes hands, it's mine. Whatever I sell, as soon as money changes hands it's theirs. Never knew it wasn't that way everywhere.

everyone get BUTTHURT these days and thinks everything has a warranty, Blame Walmart " if your not completely satisfied return it for a full refund , no questions asked."

I would tell the feller to pissoff

His cow, his problem. I bought a calf, the guy unloaded and skidaddled quickly. Either later that day or the next, I noticed a cut on her foot. I hadn't noticed it when they dropped her off, though, so I considered it my problem because she was in my possession. So, I would say it's their problem. If they badmouth you, people will look at them badly for the deal, too.

The cow is his, give him the 200 and call it done. Why did you buy a full grown cow when you only had some calves? Why would he want to trade a nice steer calf for a cow to start with? Did you advertise her? I think the whole thing is not quite right, but that said, he agreed to the trade, and you just need to be done with it. Sounds like she could have Johne's?

Latest posts