18 acres of timber

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have 18 acres of timber that is going to be select cut, then clear cut and the money that i have will go to level it off and fence. I will get a soil sample done as soon as the excavation is complete. I was wanting to seed this with fescue and my wife just happened to ask me how many round bails do I intend to get off of it. I had to admit to her that I really have not thought of it until she asked me but I dont know. Can anybody give me any idea of about how many 4x4 bails I could get off of this during a year.
:dunce:

thats a difficult one but in our area , fescue / mixed grass , big bales , 1200 lb , will net anywhere from less than a bale to four per acre depending on condition , whether it was grazed , fertilized .

In a good year we get a second growth from Sept thru November but not always if the fall moisture is down or the freezes come early.

In my opinion.You wont get enough $$$ from the timber to pay for what it's going to cost to clean up the mess and get it ready to be a hay field.Opinions are like butt holes, everyone's got one.

Have you pursued the management and sale of the timber as a viable option to producing hay. That might be a better opportunity than a hay operation. You might look for a professnial forestery in your area to help you out. I have seen reports that show timber to be a good return when managed right.

How are you gonna cut hay on "cut-over" timber land?

Won't the stumps hinder you?

Seems to me that it would cost way more than the returns will bring.

I have had 3 timber surveys on it and from the best source I will go in halves with him. I talked to a company that does excavation and got a survey and quote from them. I should have enough left over to start from scratch with the fescue. I got all the references from my neighbor who had his 66 acres done that way. He just uses square bails and not round for his horses. Thank you again for your replies. :)

Latest posts