.17 HMR vs. .22 mag

Help Support CattleToday:

JonB":3qz473m5 said:
Which do you think is better or do you like better the .17 HMR or the .22 Mag? And why?

I like the 22 Mag better. The 17 is as good for close ranges but the smaller bullet tends to slow down faster lending itself to more drop and wind deflection.

If you're never gonna shoot over about 80-100 yards, it's a toss up.

I've never shot the rimfire 17s but I've shot multiple thousand of the center fire ones from 17 hornet up through 17 flintstone super eye bunger.
That light 17 pellet gives up too much energy compared to a bullet of heavier weight. It seems like when the 17s start to drop they almost fall off the table they drop so fast. 75-100 yds would be the absolute max that I would shoot anything other then a can with the rimfire versions.

dun

For me, I prefer the .22 Mag. If you're shooting squirrels, rabbits, Dun's possums on the half shell there's not much difference. Where I see the difference is if you have to use it on a little bit larger critters. I've used my .22 Mag. on yotes and even took a small hog ( ~100#s ) with no problems, with proper shot placement of course.

;-)

Do you guys think a .17 HMR would bring down a yote? If so, at what distance? And do you think a body/heart and lung shoot would do it or would it need to be a head shoot?

JonB":2yoqd816 said:
Do you guys think a .17 HMR would bring down a yote? If so, at what distance? And do you think a body/heart and lung shoot would do it or would it need to be a head shoot?

Yep. I think it would.

Even a gut shot would eventually do him in. Just like dogs, I don't care if they do get away. Then I don't have to bother with digging a hole.........

100-150?

actually shot about 50rounds a peice through both of them today. I like a 22 mag a lot better. the 17 hmr isn't very accurate, had a scope on it, and open site on the .22 mag. Mag was far more accurate, but i still can't tell much of a difference between it and a 22 long. for the price of shells, and cost of the rifle, I would just get a .22 long, can't go wrong with that.

The first 17 cals. I ever saw were in the shooter's bible back in the mid 60s. They were fancy single shot, bolt action target pistols. How far do they shoot them? I'll take my .22 mag. I've done a bunch of hogs, dogs and coyotes that never went to far before they dropped.Z

17 isnt accurate at all. i shot one at a tree from about 50 yards away to see how accurate it was..and it missed. .22 mag would be much more reccomended

Tyler Patterson":3rq0ftqq said:
17 isnt accurate at all. i shot one at a tree from about 50 yards away to see how accurate it was..and it missed. .22 mag would be much more reccomended
even my little henry lever .22 does the job, heck, even my single shot .22 will kill a hog. i was with my freind and he ran away with the gun from the hog. his uncle took it and shot it, with a single shot 22, and dropped it on the spot. i say any 22 is better than a .17 hmr

Tyler Patterson":3ff3eh4s said:

sounds like a operator error....

but in my opinion the 22mag is a great gun I have killed bobcats, yotes, deer, whatever. just a great gun and cheaper ammo than the .17

Speakin of ammo have ya'll priced any recently.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

allenfarms":2xto9drb said:
Tyler Patterson":2xto9drb said:

but in my opinion the 22mag is a great gun I have killed bobcats, yotes, deer, whatever. just a great gun and cheaper ammo than the .17

yeah are you sure it was the gun??

why is ammo so expensive anyway?!?!

Since I happen to have a 17 barrel blank sitting around I talked with a friend of mine about making a custom barrel for me in one of the RF 17s. Of the 2 he thnks the 17 HMR is more accurate but the other one has a little more range. like 100 yds vs 75. But past 100 yds the 22 mag still has the edge. For shooting anything bigger then a jackrabbit I wouldn;t shoot either of them over about 75 yds and more like 50 withthe smaller one.
That little light bullet loses juice way to fast to get any kind of penetration.

dun

cattleluvr18":1p051yla said:
allenfarms":1p051yla said:
Tyler Patterson":1p051yla said:

it would have to be the gun...i can hit a dogtag in a tree from 50 yards away and hit it dead in the center with a 22, open sighted

Tyler Patterson":33zi238u said:
cattleluvr18":33zi238u said:
allenfarms":33zi238u said:
Tyler Patterson":33zi238u said:

it would have to be the gun...i can hit a dogtag in a tree from 50 yards away and hit it dead in the center with a 22, open sighted
ssssssuuuuuurrrreeee ya can :roll:

just messin sounds like you got almost as good as shot as me :lol:

I can promise you one thing about the .22 mag. At ten feet with snake shot it'll turn old Mr. Buzztail into rattleburger. That's out of a single action revolver with a 5" barrel.Z

Droped two PWR's at 75 yards this evening and got a couple of rounds in a 400 pounder.
It was crazy around here with hogs today had six come up the drive way about 4 lbs a piece.

Caustic Burno":3w24d8l5 said:
It was crazy around here with hogs today had six come up the drive way about 4 lbs a piece.

Since the Brazos has been flooded up, hogs have been staying on the east side of the river lately, and leaving me the heck alone. When the crossing flats get back down to 8 inches of swift water, those hogs will probably come back with a grudge. I'll be waiting and ready to wage war.

Latest posts