16" or 20" stock trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

eldiente

Reaction score
Planning to buy a new gooseneck stock trailer (Circle D brand). 16" trailer has 6000lb axles, 20" has 7000lb axles. Price difference of only $750. Will I regret the shorter trailer and lower rated axles with the shorter trailer, or will I be happy when turning / backing? Wife says the 20" looks obnoxious because it is so long. Thanks

Depends entirely on your needs and where you'll be using it. Might want to check with your insurance agent too - that is always our biggest concern here - but we have some of the worst insur. rates in the nation.

I have a 12' and a 24'. The 24 is actually easier to back than the 12 because it doesn't cut around as quick. I guess is depends how many head you need to haul, how far, and how many extra trips you have to make.

Both trailers are 4 horse capable. Probably fit an extra cow or two on the longer one. I usually only trailer to the sale barn 60 miles away and then only a couple of pairs at a time.

I believe I'd go with the 20', because it's a little longer and therefore more versatile. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. ;-)

msscamp":3lncxes6 said:
I believe I'd go with the 20', because it's a little longer and therefore more versatile. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. ;-)

I wouldn't touch this statement with a 20 foot pole. :lol: :lol:

What size truck do you have. If it's a 1/2 ton, I'd go 16'. If 3/4 ton, I'd go 20'. I had a 16' and now a 24' and know matter what size I have, I could always use another 4' to get them all in.

16' will haul around 16 500 pounds calves and a 20' will have around 20 head. Get what suits you best.

If the wife doesn't like the 20', see what she says about a 40'

80651.jpg

What size truck do you have. If it's a 1/2 ton, I'd go 16'. If 3/4 ton, I'd go 20'. I had a 16' and now a 24' and know matter what size I have, I could always use another 4' to get them all in.

16' will haul around 16 500 pounds calves and a 20' will have around 20 head. Get what suits you best.

If the wife doesn't like the 20', see what she says about a 40'

3/4 ton duramax diesel truck - guess i'll go with the bigger is better.

eldiente wrote:
Thanks all - any ideas how to convince the wife that obnoxious can be beautiful?

Is she paying for it?

Well, I'll write the check, but the price is about more than money :)

MikeC":1fkrec71 said:
msscamp":1fkrec71 said:

:shock: :shock: :oops: :oops: :shock: :shock:

MikeC":2yisleww said:
msscamp":2yisleww said:

:shock: Alright Mike, get your mind out of the gutter! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I pull a 32 foot, and have for years. It got to be a joke when I'd haul a couple of head to show, so I decided to get a shorter one. I looked at 16' and 20' also, and ended up with the 20'.

I'd go with the 20' also! Good luck with the wife! I had trouble convincing the HUSBAND.

Latest posts