13 month old Beefmaster bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Taurus":3aqcsyv5 said:
He's a little short he could use some length on him. But he has a good tight sheath for a BM.

I look at him sometimes and think the same thing. Then, on nights like tonight, I look and don't really have a problem with his length at all. I tried to snap a quick photo, but the sun was retiring for the night… (He's 14 months old now)

wacocowboy":e7jrkg37 said:
Looks pretty good to me. He looks like he is solid from front to back clean underneath good looking 13 month old bull. Another good looking Buster bull, who is his sire?

His sire is Lasater 8254, a son of Lasater 4290 (semen bull and retired herd sire). 8254 was out of a 14 year old cow out at the Lasater Ranch. I'm hopeful that this bull will pass along some strong maternal traits in his daughters. His maternal grandsire is Lasater 2079, a bull I posted here several years back. 2079 daughters have shown themselves to have exceptional maternal traits as a whole.

Since I love most Beefmasters he is what I consider to be a true Beefmaster bull. In looking at him I picked up on the fact that I thought he was probably a foundation type Bull. From what i've seen foundation Bulls have the length, clean sheath, flesh easy, not too much ear. :cboy: :tiphat: You just do not see Beefmasters like that here in Alabama. He should be a great momma maker and meat maker.

I like him, my only question would be if you are going to sell him why are you running him with the heifers.
That seems to be cutting your nose off in spite of your face. Of course now with the lack of bulls and heifers I guess alot of breeding pratices will get thrown out the window.

houstoncutter":sy62kv6l said:
I like him, my only question would be if you are going to sell him why are you running him with the heifers.
That seems to be cutting your nose off in spite of your face. Of course now with the lack of bulls and heifers I guess alot of breeding pratices will get thrown out the window.

I had two bull calves on the place. One was picked to be a herd bull, and this one was really just to keep him company while he was separated. As they developed, LB 322 began to look better and better. When that happened, I decided I could afford to part ways with the one originally chosen as a herd bull. It would be quite foolish to leave the heifers open, so he's breeding them. As much as I like his genetics and development, I think he's replaceable. If someone can't see the meat and muscle in a working, non-overly fat bull, I can't help that. I won't every raise them at home to get fat then melt when I sell them. So, not to be short, but why not run him with the heifers?

He does look better in the second picture, part of that is because the grass is taller. I do think he's a good functional bull... I don't see anything wrong with using him on heifers if his BW is acceptable for them... You're going to have to have some bull with them, and it might as well be him

East Caney":zlx2nbsr said:
houstoncutter":zlx2nbsr said:

I had two bull calves on the place. One was picked to be a herd bull, and this one was really just to keep him company while he was separated. As they developed, LB 322 began to look better and better. When that happened, I decided I could afford to part ways with the one originally chosen as a herd bull. It would be quite foolish to leave the heifers open, so he's breeding them. As much as I like his genetics and development, I think he's replaceable. If someone can't see the meat and muscle in a working, non-overly fat bull, I can't help that. I won't every raise them at home to get fat then melt when I sell them. So, not to be short, but why not run him with the heifers?[/quote

No offense taken ,I'm sure he will be fine on your heifers. It's just that if I'm buying a yopung bull such as this, I would be greatly concerned about how he would work for me as a commercial guy. UExample if he's 14 months old, the rule of thumb is he could handle 14 heifers. This would allow him to still reach his full growth and make sure he is carrying enough condition to get him through when he drops his teeth at 2 years. So if your running him on 10 heifers , just a guess. There wouldn't be much left in the ol cods for my heifers. So for me to buy the bull he will have to be discounted, because odds are if I intend on keeping the bull he will not be used much or at all in my first season with him.

I have bought bulls of this nature in the past and have had great success with them, but the breeders have always been up front about the bull having been used and not a virgin bull. I adjusted my use of the bull according

he is a goodlooking well bred bull.i dont blame you for using him on heifers as he should throw some real nice calves.the 2nd pic dont make him look so short.

East Caney":7qo0j4el said:
Taurus":7qo0j4el said:
He's a little short he could use some length on him. But he has a good tight sheath for a BM.

I look at him sometimes and think the same thing. Then, on nights like tonight, I look and don't really have a problem with his length at all. I tried to snap a quick photo, but the sun was retiring for the night… (He's 14 months old now)

Okay my friends! I think that here is an opportunity for a little thought provoking 'handbook' discussion on perpective perception in the observation of pictures! Improper perception is very often deceptive. What one sees, or thinks they see is often not what they get,- or think they get! Case in point here: Look very carefully at this bulls picture. "Perspective Observation" is the art of picturing objects or a scene in such a way by converging lines (which is linear perspective), as to show them as they appear to the eye with reference to relative distance, or in this bull's case, length of his body. If you will observe the way the bull is holding his head, he is looking to his right (the same side that we are observing), and in so doing the point of his right shoulder is effaced from the surface of his body. In other words, you can't see the point of his shoulder, therefore it appears to the eye that his body is longer than it really is! Deception! That is why it is not wise to make selection decisions on pictures ALONE!

(But - he is a good looking bull - phenotypically - anyhow)!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":1cx9lirg said:
East Caney":1cx9lirg said:
Taurus":1cx9lirg said:

Okay my friends! I think that here is an opportunity for a little thought provoking 'handbook' discussion on perpective perception in the observation of pictures! Improper perception is very often deceptive. What one sees, or thinks they see is often not what they get,- or think they get! Case in point here: Look very carefully at this bulls picture. "Perspective Observation" is the art of picturing objects or a scene in such a way by converging lines (which is linear perspective), as to show them as they appear to the eye with reference to relative distance, or in this bull's case, length of his body. If you will observe the way the bull is holding his head, he is looking to his right (the same side that we are observing), and in so doing the point of his right shoulder is effaced from the surface of his body. In other words, you can't see the point of his shoulder, therefore it appears to the eye that his body is longer than it really is! Deception! That is why it is not wise to make selection decisions on pictures ALONE!

(But - he is a good looking bull - phenotypically - anyhow)!

DOC HARRIS

Doc, I'm no professional photographer. Neither can I give an adequate explanation to some of the experiences I've had taking photos of cattle. However, I have taken many, many photos of cattle in the attempt to get just a few good photos. In doing so, I have learned to move ever so slightly in different directions or change the height of the camera. The reason I do this is because the perspective from the 2D lens can seem very different than what I'm seeing with the eye. I also know that just as one camera angle may give an appearance of extra length, another may give the appearance of an animal being short-bodied. So then, I pose this question - Which one is actually correct? With this particular bull, I can't answer that. As I've watched him grow and develop, he's changing all the time. He's grown on me over time. Sometimes, in the pasture, I like his length. I'm a fan of exceptional length and not acceptable length. So, that's the thought I have when I look at him and say I'd like more length. I don't think anyone would argue that walking around an animal is the ideal way to judge its quality.

East Caney-

My post regarding this thread in no way was meant to criticize your picture-taking skills! You demonstrated, in a big way, the thinking that you had with camera height, light rays and the object himself. Good job.

I used this opportunity to point out the importance of taking good pictures, but NOT depending upon photography to make total decisions on seedstock selections. I think that all of us are prone to "Ohh!" and "Ahh" at a picture of an animal which has been carefully posed and/or photoshopped without really stopping to think that it is not necessarily representative of what you're observing.

I trust it was a good object lesson.

DOC HARRIS

Doc,

I appreciate the clarification. I didn't take your previous post as criticism. Your thoughts are usually thought provoking and create a learning opportunity. I just wanted to point out that I truly do not know when it comes to this bull. Without a doubt, there are longer bulls...and I do love length. My picture taking could be likened to suppressive fire...if you shoot enough, you're bound to hit something. You just need to patience and discipline to get rid of all the bad pictures. These are the words of an unskilled amateur, but it works okay for me. You're absolutely right, though. A picture can make a good animal look bad or a bad animal look good (or at least better than bad). Wise words spoken. I think most of us with any sense appreciate your posts.

EC

Latest posts