12.5 ht barbless fence for horses--line post spacing?

Help Support CattleToday:

Well, I'll run it all by him and see what he wants to do. I know at his other place he said he had both barbless HT and barbed wire of some kind, and wanted barbless here. He wants no-climb horse fence, but dosesn't want to spend the time or $$ on that option, and with flood always a risk, net fence of any kind will catch debris and will be leaned over in a matter of hours since the water always comes out of the national forest and carries all kinds of crap.

HT is a bad deal for horses and HAS to be electrified to even be considered. Check out Electrobraid, it is good stuff and I install a ton for horse people. Very safe, fast to put up and easy to repair. Fairly cost effective too. Posts can go up to 24' no problem. I don't sell it or make any money on it but from experience can tell you it is good stuff and buy the name brand, there is a difference and yes it is worth it. Way better than the coated wire.

'cost effective' is a subjective term I suppose.
$179+tax/1000ft?
+ fence energizer?
+ special insulators and split nuts?

How many decades will a strand of it last? How long before the bugs/birds/squirrels eat the fibers off the rope?

Price that coated wire. Got some here that has been up 10 plus years and is in good shape. Regular insulators work fine on line post. The rollers are nice on ends to tighten. Copper splits are high but local hardware can usually do a little cheaper than electrobraid. Charger is the same as any fence your looking at. One vet bill and the price difference is covered. Never put it up for anyone that didn't love it.

greybeard":dew90eee said:
'cost effective' is a subjective term I suppose.
$179+tax/1000ft?
+ fence energizer?
+ special insulators and split nuts?

How many decades will a strand of it last? How long before the bugs/birds/squirrels eat the fibers off the rope?

For the cost of five wires you could put up noclimb

SmokinM":32tdri8r said:
HT is a bad deal for horses and HAS to be electrified to even be considered. Check out Electrobraid, it is good stuff and I install a ton for horse people. Very safe, fast to put up and easy to repair. Fairly cost effective too. Posts can go up to 24' no problem. I don't sell it or make any money on it but from experience can tell you it is good stuff and buy the name brand, there is a difference and yes it is worth it. Way better than the coated wire.

Way better than the coated wire? In what respects?

SmokinM":1f9n5011 said:

How do you join 2 pieces of electrobraid together?

From what I saw today while looking into it, you do splicing:
anpc-eb_1.jpg

or
PARSEBBRAIDINSIDE.jpg

http://images.zarebasystems.com/is/imag ... tPgLarge2$

I would not use HT smooth wire for horses, use coated at the very minimum. I've went out on repairs before where horses got themselves wrapped up in the fence and the owner had to cut them out of it. Often times the HT peeled the meat off their legs down to the bone. They just panic. Even did one repair where a black angus calf got caught in it.

A net wire is a much better deal for horses, if the horses are respectful of the fence you can get away with 6 inch box woven wire. If they are prone to pawing at the fence 2"x4" non-climb is best.

fence_it":tx1x0jzw said:
I would not use HT smooth wire for horses, use coated at the very minimum. I've went out on repairs before where horses got themselves wrapped up in the fence and the owner had to cut them out of it. Often times the HT peeled the meat off their legs down to the bone. They just panic. Even did one repair where a black angus calf got caught in it.

A net wire is a much better deal for horses, if the horses are respectful of the fence you can get away with 6 inch box woven wire. If they are prone to pawing at the fence 2"x4" non-climb is best.

I agree until you say 6" . Any net a foot will go through is asking for trouble. 2x4 and 4x4 are both fine. I have absolutely no problem with high tensile or barbwire as long as it's properly stretched. And kept high enough off the ground.

I've never priced the "horse type" woven wire. I do know if you put two rolls of regular woven up, cross hatched, it makes a nice horse fence. One strand of hot over that, and they won't push on it. I think the pros call woven something different.