12-13 month old heifers Ai?

Help Support CattleToday:

OzssieDave19

Reaction score
Hi guys, some advice please. And I guess I am looking for black and white advice do it or don't.

I have 4 heifers and I am a hobby farmer. I am currently on holidays and am natural heat detecting and having a tech ai them. It has become a bit of a drawn out job. I just want to get it done. Hobby farms and ai don't mix when you have a full time job to support the family.

My 18 month old heifers has been done and the 15 month old heifer is tail painted ready and watching to heat detect. I have also painted the tails of the 2x March 18 12 month old heifers I will observe when they are in season but part of me wants to ai them to have the job done.

They are all cycling and the heifers are all very well grown, they could be joined on weight. Would it be a huge mistake?

I have the option of leaving the ai until later. I'm just trying to tidy my life up by ticking a fe2 jobs off the to do list.

Back up bull won't be introduced until June. Or July.

If you are finding it hard for time and need to rush the breeding early you may be in lots of trouble 9 months later when you have calving problems. They could be fine but at 12 months you are really increasing your risk a lot. I used to breed at 18 months but have pulled that back to 15 in line with what most are doing and working well. I know of one farmer who has gone to 12 months and has heaps of issues going on in his herd because of it. I would say don't do it.

I try to get my heifers bred to calve at 24 months old, if it was me I would find the best calving ease bull I could just to get some live calves on the ground.

If they are March born heifers I would AI them first week of June, that would give you a middle March calf, and then turn the bull in the first of July. That way it shouldn't be too hard to figure it if it's an AI calf or a natural service calf without trying to detect heat.

You say they're well-grown. If they're cycling and of adequate size, IMO that's a bigger determinant than age. I've seen some poorly-grown 18 month olds that are smaller than some 12s - and would potentially have bigger issues at calving than the growthy yearlings.
Choose a high CED bull and be done with it. 1st calf just needs to be one that will arrive alive easily so the heifer can mother it up and figure out what her JOB is.

I agree with Lucky_P. "IF" they are truly well grown - which it sounds like they are since they are cycling, I would breed them. I understand your time restraint. Plus if you get them bred with the others, you can be watching more than one due to calve at a time. Make sure you have a calving ease bull and go for it.