100% of cows open with fertility tested bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Google corkscrew penis. We had a 3 year old bull, semen tested ok, bred the year before ok. Watched him breed and he wasn't getting the job done.

Been there. Two years ago we used a 2yo bull on our heifers and got 0 bred. Passed a bse the day they were turned out. We bought him as a yearling and used him with an older bull the year before and got everything bred. Ran him with about 20-25 hfrs and every one was open. I watched him pursue and mount. He appeared to breed but nothing stuck. Just pg'd today and had the same thing happen again. Different bull, same pasture, same conditions, same results. 2yr old bull with 30 hfrs and not a single one bred. Don't understand it. Used the pasture last year and had two opens out of 28 head. But we used two bulls. Any ideas would be nice to hear.

gdale":3710bsb9 said:
You should read the article in the link below. It might be a possible answer to the fertility issues that you're experiencing. It explains that one reason for reproductive failure is that some females have introduced segments of the male (Y) chromosome in their genome.

Here is the link: http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/a ... le0414.htm
I find it hard to believe that they would have a whole pasture full of freemartins.
To me it seems more likely that it is some disease or nutritional issue

A lot of times, not always, the owner suspects what it is, but doesn't want to admit it to anyone or even himself. gs

hmm..sounds familiar to me. I have had all the calfs I was supposed to almost exactly 6 mos late. next rd is due feb...if they come on time how would I explain it....cant..it just happens

see my no calfs this yr thread...

I would sure retest the bulls to make sure no Trich even virgin bulls can get Trich granted it isn't as likely but it is possible. If the bulls test ok then I would say your neighbor has a cow herd issue, it could be disease or nutrition. I just can't imagine two healthy bulls not being able to settle at least one cow.

gizmom

Not having 1 bred 1 of 2 things libido or trich. You need a hot cow to check libido, or they could be gay. just saying :tiphat:

Latest posts