10 week old bottle calf

Help Support CattleToday:

prepfarm":1lgult9k said:
is weaned and eating good......but has severe labored breathing was treated for pnemonia with no change.....what could it be

Is he/she running a temp? What was he/she treated with for the pneumonia? You said the calf is weaned, how long since weaning and what type of area are you keeping it in? Without more info, it's hard to help.

could still have pneumonia. sometimes it is hard to get rid of. if it were me, i would hit with la200 double the recomended dose & 3 days later do it again

Give it Nuflor. You will see a noticable difference in 24 hours. Follow up with another shot 48 hours later. Give it in the neck muscle.

that sounds like what i call a lunger goes round with tongue out caughing and breathing hard slobbering if so forget the shots the heat will kill it sooner or later it has alot of scare tissue in lungs is the reason that it does that from being sick or something scott

Gotta agree with bigbull. If you don't see a major differance shortly it ain't gonna get much better. After the withdrawal time from the meds I'd ship it or eat it.

Pneumonia is often viral in origin. Antibiotics would only hit some secondary bacterial infections, but the calf would have to survive and fight the virus on its own. All you can do is supportive care. Keep it hydrated.

It's also possible the calf might have diptheria. We went through a bout of that a few years back. Boy, was that a learning experience. Bovine diptheria is a totally different disease than human diptheria. Sorry to just throw out a random disease, but the symptoms are similar.

Latest posts