1 yard of topsoil

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
A neighbor asked my wife if I could haul 5 yards of dirt is my 2004 Dodge 2500 short bed. If my research is right that is 7.5 tons of dirt! Is that right? If it is right my truck won't handle that much except for numerous trips.

I come up with 6 tons but we've been dry here(using 90 lbs per cuft). Still a lot of dirt especially if you are going to have to shovel it out the back of your truck. Is your neighbor going to shovel it for you? If not, I'd suggest that they pay for a dumptruck.

tncattle":3c279ult said:
A neighbor asked my wife if I could haul 5 yards of dirt is my 2004 Dodge 2500 short bed. If my research is right that is 7.5 tons of dirt! Is that right? If it is right my truck won't handle that much except for numerous trips.
Ha Ha.

tncattle":2ykt0k5b said:
Jogeephus":2ykt0k5b said:
I come up with 6 tons but we've been dry here(using 90 lbs per cuft). Still a lot of dirt especially if you are going to have to shovel it out the back of your truck. Is your neighbor going to shovel it for you? If not, I'd suggest that they pay for a dumptruck.
Dats about right, moisture content and the loaders idea of a yard is the variable.

6 tons is a good estimate. Found this online:

"According to this document "NIST Handbook Specifications and Tolerances for Field Standard Weight Carts", at the US NIST, the average density of dirt is 120 lbs per cubic foot."

If you use 120 lb/ ft^3 you end up with 6.3 tons.

The type of topsoil makes a difference too. The store bought bagged stuff is light. Bulk good sandy loam is heavy. My little pull behind dump holds almost 5 yards. It is a good thing I have trailer brakes on it. I am pulling it with a 1 ton and still get puckered going down a hill or two.

Latest posts