1/2 ton dodge with trailer advice

Help Support CattleToday:

DAE

Reaction score
I know it isn't recommended, but does anyone have any experience pulling a 16 or 20 ft. gooseneck livestock trailer with a 1/2 ton dodge ram 4 wheel drive? Can this work - what should i expect? I have a 2005 Dodge Ram extended cab (bought brand new with all the fixins) and due to an unforseen circumstance we need to hook our livestock trailer(s) to it to get by for awhile. I know it isn't great to do this, but can anyone tell me if they are in a similiar situation how the truck and trailer handle? We travel on mostly of flat ground/roads with occasionally a sloping hill to go up and down on. Thanks in advance.

Lots of people do it all the time. Just take it easy and don't get in a hurry. Those over load springs can be had for cheap and installed in the drive way... helps alot.

Buddy of myne does day work and drags a stock trailer every where behind his 1/2 ton chevy.

Depending on how you look at it, SPEED will be your biggest friend or worst enemy.

Go slow enough to plan your stops and you will be OK. Too much speed will make you un-stable and un-able to stop.

I have an 86 Chevy short wheel base 4x4 that I have used to pull an 16' tralier either loaded with firewood or a tractor. I was fine every time but once when I loaded a heavy bushhog on the rear of the trailer and got on the interstate. Speed kept creeping up until I hit the bump at a bridge and the weight of the trailer rear lifted the rear end of the truck of the ground and started pushing it to the right. Instincs took over and I jumped on the breaks and cut the front wheels into the slide. When the rear of the truck bounced again, I was headed into a slide to the left. After about 4 times of squalling the tires headed in different directions. Dad yelling and me all puckered up, I finally got the truck under control and made the remaining 20 miles fine, although at a greatly reduced speed. I was careless and in a hurry. Speed almost made us jack knife & wreck the truck. I think about that experience evrytime I load the trailer. Now I make sure the load is balanced and keep the speed down.

Your 05 Dodge has all kinds of braking power for a 16 or 20 foot gooseneck trailer. If you can afford it, toss a set of airbags at it to help level it out a bit, and make sure your trailer brakes are working well. And keep it out of OD, even running empty.

<chuckle> And get ready for a horrendous gas bill. I towed alot of critters with a 95 and a 98 gasser Dodge. I never passed a gas pump that didn't like me :)

Rod

i know 2 guys pulling gooseneck stock trailers with f150 fords.1 is pulling a 16ft with an f150 2wd.an he pulls it as hay trailer because it has removeable rack.an he hauls 10 bales on it.the other is an f150 4x4.an he pulls a 24ft gooseneck stock trailer an a 20 to 24ft gooseneck flatbed.as far as i know neither of them have probs pulling their trailers.

bigbull338":1p7sao2u said:
i know 2 guys pulling gooseneck stock trailers with f150 fords.1 is pulling a 16ft with an f150 2wd.an he pulls it as hay trailer because it has removeable rack.an he hauls 10 bales on it.the other is an f150 4x4.an he pulls a 24ft gooseneck stock trailer an a 20 to 24ft gooseneck flatbed.as far as i know neither of them have probs pulling their trailers.
Yeah,but thet have Fords :cboy: ::

Latest posts