1/2 the herd got out

Help Support CattleToday:

shaz

Reaction score
Been in hay for so long I haven't been checking on the cows like I should. By that I mean checking them in the daylight. Anyway, during a heavy rain my pond dam broke and the water went down a creek and washed out a gap I installed. This happened in the only shaded area in this pasture so alot of cows got out. I found them yesterday in a creek on the neighbors place about a 1/2 away and far back in the woods. :|
About 40 cows were out! My worst ever
Took 4 hours to get em back by myself. Didn't get ANY hay baled :mad:

shaz":2y0u8ets said:
Been in hay for so long I haven't been checking on the cows like I should. By that I mean checking them in the daylight. Anyway, during a heavy rain my pond dam broke and the water went down a creek and washed out a gap I installed. This happened in the only shaded area in this pasture so alot of cows got out. I found them yesterday in a creek on the neighbors place about a 1/2 away and far back in the woods. :|
About 40 cows were out! My worst ever
Took 4 hours to get em back by myself. Didn't get ANY hay baled :mad:

Look at the positive - at least you were able to get them all back in. Not an easy job getting 40 cows out of the woods 1/2 mi away. Jim

I have had cows out as well. First it was someone opening a gate, then the other night I checked on them at about 8:00 pm and it stormed that night and a tree fell on my fence. Neighbor called at 8:00 the next morning they were in his beans. He wasnt worried about the beans just the cows. He has to replant anyway. Rained again last night.Really wish it would stop for about 2 weeks then start again if it wants to.

I am begging for rain! 51 days without it, then I get 0.15". I'll take it. But that aint much. It had rained here at the house a few times but not where I needed it down on the pastures.

The bulls fighting across the fences is what gets my cows out. Got one pasture I'd like to put the cows in now but my neighbor has his across the fence from there at the moment. As soon as he moves out of that pasture, my cows will rotate in on my side.

Chasing cows in no fun!

There have been two cows hit by cars in our area in three weeks. I am constantly building new or repairing fences. I've been lucky, my only loss was four years ago when someone cut my fence and one cow vanished. The other time my bull got out and went into the neighbors pasture and we never found the breach. He was sure happy to get home.
~Tom

We lost our whole herd one night. It was surreal on minute they were there and the next they were gone. It was during the worst drought we have had since we have been here. The water dropped and they went under the bridge and gone. I tried to follow them and I hit quicksand and the torch went out and wouldn't come back on. You could see that the whole herd had hit it and thrashed to get out of it and they are a lot heavier than me.

We found them in a neighbours paddock. His weren't in there. He shut the gate and said he would send them home in the morning.

They came home like lambs for their breakfast. Later during a flood when they were in danger, my neighbour and his cutting horse tried to get them to leave our property and they would not go!!

One was left behind because she did go in with his herd in a different paddock. We knew we had to go and get her, but about 3 days later I noticed she had come home by herself.

backhoeboogie said:
I am begging for rain! 51 days without it, then I get 0.15". I'll take it. But that aint much. It had rained here at the house a few times but not where I needed it down on the pastures.
quote]

Sounds a lot like last year... :frowns: Been 17 days since our 5 incher (most of it went down the Brazos). If we don't get any by the end of next week it may as well be 51 days...

1982vett":2ukvvqjn said:
Sounds a lot like last year... :frowns: Been 17 days since our 5 incher (most of it went down the Brazos). If we don't get any by the end of next week it may as well be 51 days...

Last year I was one of the lucky ones. Rain has hit all around us this year. It has even rained a little here at the house. The pastures need a drink. The cows will need another 90 round bales to make winter. That part is not looking good at the moment.

backhoeboogie":1xdqao6u said:
The bulls fighting across the fences is what gets my cows out. Got one pasture I'd like to put the cows in now but my neighbor has his across the fence from there at the moment. As soon as he moves out of that pasture, my cows will rotate in on my side.

I have a dairy farmer neighbor with a young Jersey bull on the other side of a shared fence. Noisiest dang thing. He's always challenging me when I am checking the fences.

With my neighbors permission I put an electric wire on 5" standoffs along the top on his side of the T-post fence so now there are very hot wires on both sides with bulls on opposite sides.

My T21 bull is very docile, he bellows but would rather make love than fight... (I really like this bull!) but a couple years ago another neighbor had a very aggressive acting & looking rent a bull for a few weeks that would stand at the gate between our pastures and paw the ground until he dug a hole! I finally stretch another hot wire on the other side of this fence also and a few feet back from the gate to keep him from digging up my buried wire.

So far I have seen a hot wire on both sides of the fence WILL keep two bulls apart. Just hope the power doesn't go out! I hate to have a neighbor's bull determine my pasture rotation. Also hate to have two bulls tearing down fence! Good Luck. Jim

backhoeboogie":i5yp05br said:
1982vett":i5yp05br said:

Last year I was one of the lucky ones. Rain has hit all around us this year. It has even rained a little here at the house. The pastures need a drink. The cows will need another 90 round bales to make winter. That part is not looking good at the moment.

I'm about half way their on hay myself.......just need a good rain yesterday and I'd have it made. Seems to like to rain around the 4th of July, I hope it does, other wise everthing is going to get crunchy.

In light of keeping on topic...... :lol: Finally got the neighbors Corriente heifer back across to him....been here since....I don't know......March or so. If I say so myself, the little bugger was doing pretty good....course the other cows used here for a head butting dummy every chance they got. :D

Also trapped another neighbors Beefmaster bull for him to pick up. He had been visiting for about a week. Hope those Brangus swimmers are faster than Beefmaster swimmers...

Mine were where they should be. I penned my neighbors cattle for them. But feed bag training is my ticket. All I have to do is rattle a bag and honk the horn and most of them will follow you anywhere. Sometimes I'll use a couple small square bales of hay depending on the time of year. Majority of them are already accustomed to being moved from pasture to pasture (part of the training) and are eager to follow.

Course the bull understood the feed bag language too, and the heifer was usually in the middle of eveything and wasn't going to be left behind either.

Generally don't have trouble with my cattle leaving ("teenage bulls" being the exception). Bulls and calves are usually the culprits. Bulls because they are bulls and the calves just don't know any better yet. As with this heifer, she is a fence crawler but always went back until I ran a group of cows thru the pasture, then she took up with my herd instead of going home.

Several years ago I found a gap down between my place and the neighbors. Cattle were all mixed up. Happened to be early winter so I got after fixing the gap I got a roll of hay and led everthing onto the neighbors place then took the bale back to the barn. Waited a bit and went down with the truck and a bag. Mine came running ready to come back home. His didn't know what was going on. :lol:

and then Sa(turd)ay....I got back to the hayfield, roll 4 bales and a bearing went out on a lower roller :mad: The second one this year.
To top it all off the wife is p*ssed at me because I'm on the farm or at work all the time!

CR*P!!

Shaz,

I do believe you are now officially a cattle owner :) Welcome to the club!! If they aren't breaking fence, they are breaking something else (water troughs, feeders, hay wagons, etc) - gotta love it!

Also trapped another neighbors Beefmaster bull for him to pick up. He had been visiting for about a week. Hope those Brangus swimmers are faster than Beefmaster swimmers...[/quote]

Speaking of Beefmasters...........we got Leroy Brown back! Neighbor called the sheriff last week and they put two and two
together. Still don't know how he got there......Neighbor not happy i hear. Leroy chased him to his truck ..........:)

Suzie Q":2p7bh286 said:
Does the farm belong to both of you shaz?

If so then she can help and you will be home in half the time. I am the female and I do the round baling.
She helps me work the cows a little. She draws up shots and fly sprays. The farm was mine long before I met her but I guess it's hers now. Honestly, she is not enthusiastic about it but she'll help if I ask.

Latest posts