Oilfield​

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks for posting those Craig, did you ever get that winch bed loaded? If you did I bet she was a little light in the steers!

In the top picture he got the mud pit loaded. He was definitely light but got it set in place. In the other he was trying to pick a mud pump. We got the crane on it. And he winches it up while the crane lifted the back end. Once he got it to break over it hauled fine. Setting it was fun. The trucking company had took two rig moves on the same days and sent their big truck to the other job.

"I'm gonna be your boss one day. Let me take a 2 hour rig tour so I'll know what everything is and how it works and what y'all do"

Craig Miller":1oatmzty said:

"I'm gonna be your boss one day. Let me take a 2 hour rig tour so I'll know what everything is and how it works and what y'all do"

I may be reading this wrong but if you are referring to the changing of the guard in a family business I empathize with you and hope you have a better experience than I've had. One thing I've noticed is just cause you could swim fast in your wee years don't mean you can run daddy's business. (I have another expression for this but I sanitized it considerably for the board)

Good luck.

No those were this summer interns. They are all working on degrees in engineering of some type. Seeing a drilling rig for the first time ever in their lives. They will get to make the decisions and we will have to figure out how to make it work or make them understand why it wont.

Craig Miller":3199141l said:
No those were this summer interns. They are all working on degrees in engineering of some type. Seeing a drilling rig for the first time ever in their lives. They will get to make the decisions and we will have to figure out how to make it work or make them understand why it wont.

The best thing you can do is befriend those guys. Lead them to the answer you want. Feed them the info and let them take the credit. In my experience it will pay dividends.

I have seen people try to buck those guys and "teach them a lesson". It never pays off.

ohiosteve":3kflv7jg said:
I enjoy reading the oilfield talk on this site. Instead of Hi-jacking threads like I usually do (accidentally), I thought I'd try to start a thread. I know I'm just an Ohioan, but from what has been going on around here I'm starting to think Ohio is the new Texas. In town lately I've been seeing a helk of a lot of Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Canadian licence plates.
Any comments are welcome and hijacking of this thread is encouraged.

I'm in northern Pa, so not too far from you. JKLM Energy owned by Terry Pegula (he owns the Buffalo Sabres and the Buffalo Bills) is drilling exclusively in Potter County right now. They are producing natural gas from the Utica shale formation. Helmerich and Payne has their Flex 5 rigs (I thank that is what they are called) drilling in the area. Makes for a very busy hotel, which I am thankful for.

millstreaminn":2ca5dzta said:
ohiosteve":2ca5dzta said:
I enjoy reading the oilfield talk on this site. Instead of Hi-jacking threads like I usually do (accidentally), I thought I'd try to start a thread. I know I'm just an Ohioan, but from what has been going on around here I'm starting to think Ohio is the new Texas. In town lately I've been seeing a helk of a lot of Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Canadian licence plates.

I'm in northern Pa, so not too far from you. JKLM Energy owned by Terry Pegula (he owns the Buffalo Sabres and the Buffalo Bills) is drilling exclusively in Potter County right now. They are producing natural gas from the Utica shale formation. Helmerich and Payne has their Flex 5 rigs (I thank that is what they are called) drilling in the area. Makes for a very busy hotel, which I am thankful for.

I hope you're getting a good price on those rooms. Most hotels in West Texas get a nice price for oilfield. I was looking for a room a couple years ago in Pecos Texas and the cheapest room i could find was 450 a night and the no tell motel.

Craig Miller":1wyhtzck said:
millstreaminn":1wyhtzck said:
ohiosteve":1wyhtzck said:

I hope you're getting a good price on those rooms. Most hotels in West Texas get a nice price for oilfield. I was looking for a room a couple years ago in Pecos Texas and the cheapest room i could find was 450 a night and the no tell motel.
Would have been cheaper to just go to the "cat" house and pay for a whole night. :mrgreen: Course you probably would have had to drive to Monahans or Ft. Stockton. :cowboy:

In the boom we were paying $250 a night easy... if you could find a room. We finally just booked them straight thru so we wouldn't lose them. Now... I can stay and the best of the best for $50. Easy come... easy go.

One place I stay at regularly has a tub of beer when you walk in. 2 free beers when you stay the night. :) In the boom some came with a cleaning service and a "cleaning service" ;-) also.

Is there anything truthful about the article on the shale fracked wells depleting and getting weaker and not producing as they were.

hurleyjd":2goneqgn said:
Is there anything truthful about the article on the shale fracked wells depleting and getting weaker and not producing as they were.

From day one every well produces less and less. It's like a balloon and you are slowly letting the air out. Most shale wells have an 80% decline curve in the first 6mo. "It's all about the flush" is a very common saying in the resource plays.

Some, will know what they're looking at here...I've never seen one left to produce quite this way.
(mid 80s Austin Chalk play on hiway 36 just S. of Caldwell)
)

Brute 23":1vmnut6j said:
greybeard":1vmnut6j said:
Some, will know what they're looking at here...I've never seen one left to produce quite this way.
(mid 80s Austin Chalk play on hiway 36 just S. of Caldwell)
)

Looks like it came in on them so they closed the rams and started producing.
Seems like I remember pump jacks were not readily available back then, but a good many wells did free flow for a short while.

A lot of the time they completed the wells right there with the drilling rig. There was no horizontal wells or frac fleet to come in. They shot the zone right there with the drilling rig and they flowed it back. If it did good they went to the next one. If it didn't they pulled up the hole and shot it again.

I'd like to see what's on the other end.

Brute 23":9zlkk7k1 said:
A lot of the time they completed the wells right there with the drilling rig. There was no horizontal wells or frac fleet to come in. They shot the zone right there with the drilling rig and they flowed it back. If it did good they went to the next one. If it didn't they pulled up the hole and shot it again.

I'd like to see what's on the other end.
I don't know what else was up there, but there was a dang HP gauge on top. I couldn't get it all to fit in the picture. This was a Williams well. They drilled a lot of them in the chalk back then. Had a yard over on that FM road that came out at Lyons.

And you're right. It was move in, rig up, poke a hole, and get rigged down and move on to the next one. Most less than 5,000' I believe.
The locations were almost all just caliche with the only place they had mats was under the substructure. I never saw a board road on any of those chalk wells.

All those wells that were drilled up to 1985, I only remember one having trouble and IIRC, it was an Exeter rig .. it burned on a location going out toward Dime Box.