Oilfield​

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiosteve

Reaction score
I enjoy reading the oilfield talk on this site. Instead of Hi-jacking threads like I usually do (accidentally), I thought I'd try to start a thread. I know I'm just an Ohioan, but from what has been going on around here I'm starting to think Ohio is the new Texas. In town lately I've been seeing a helk of a lot of Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Canadian licence plates.
Any comments are welcome and hijacking of this thread is encouraged.

ohiosteve":1ah9qzt9 said:
I enjoy reading the oilfield talk on this site. Instead of Hi-jacking threads like I usually do (accidentally), I thought I'd try to start a thread. I know I'm just an Ohioan, but from what has been going on around here I'm starting to think Ohio is the new Texas. In town lately I've been seeing a helk of a lot of Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Canadian licence plates.
Any comments are welcome and hijacking of this thread is encouraged.
Here's my comment to your comment:
Current rig count map:
https://us.gis.connect.bakerhughes.com/ ... ault2.aspx
BakerHughes curerent rig count data by state for current week:
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zht ... portsother
(you'll have to click on the "Rigs by state-current week" link to see the data)

881 rigs running total in the USA this week.
447 of them are in Texas.
23 of them are in Ohio.
'nuff said?

broken down for the big player states--you Ohioans will need to up your game exponentially.
State and district......avg rigs running May 2017
N LOUISIANA-LAND ..............37
S LOUISIANA-INL WATER..........5
S LOUISIANA-LAND................3
S LOUISIANA-OFFSHORE.........18
TOTAL LOUISIANA................62
MICHIGAN...........................1
MISSISSIPPI..........................1
NEW MEXICO.......................56
N DAKOTA..........................44
OHIO............................23
OKLAHOMA........................119
PENNSYLVANIA......................33
S DAKOTA............................0
TENNESSEE...........................0
TEXAS-OFFSHORE...................1
TEXAS-INL WATER ................. 0
DISTRICT 1 .........................47
DISTRICT 2..........................36
DISTRICT 3..........................16
DISTRICT 4..........................14
DISTRICT 5...........................2
DISTRICT ...........................18
DISTRICT 7B..........................5
DISTRICT 7C ........................42
DISTRICT 8.........................232
DISTRICT 8A ........................24
DISTRICT 9............................3
DISTRICT 10...........................9
TOTAL TEXAS................447 WINNER!
TOTAL UNITED STATES.............881

TCRanch":3eurwxik said:
Greybeard, what am I missing? Is this just current drilling? When I clicked on rigs by state it indicates KS has 0. We have 5 on the ranch and new wells are being drilled locally.
Dunno, but the Baker Hughes rig count is usually pretty accurate, assuming the production and drilling companies report their activity as required.

You have 5 drilling rigs on your ranch right now?
5 of these?
drillingrig.jpg

(If they have tires, they aren't drilling rigs)

A friend of mine who is a Geologist on his last year of teaching at Morehead State University is now consulting. He has focused his research on fossils of the Carboniferous period. He is working on a project that is exploring in Kentucky and Ohio. His payment is a vested interest. They are going much deeper into the formations below the Carboniferous period.

I was being sarcastic about Ohio being the new Texas, but it's hard not to notice the increase in activity the past few years. Especially in southern Ohio down where M.magis lives. I think I could drive to 23 rigs pretty quickly. Most of those rigs are directional. I've seen as many as 12 Wells on one pad not more than 50 ft apart. The pipeline activity is crazy.

There's way more than 18 rigs in the Gulf of Mexico off Louisiana. What Baker is calling rigs is different from what we call rigs. Heading south out of Port Fourchon, Louisiana at night looks like a city in the gulf.

ohiosteve":2d15c7gg said:
I was being sarcastic about Ohio being the new Texas, but it's hard not to notice the increase in activity the past few years. Especially in southern Ohio down where M.magis lives. I think I could drive to 23 rigs pretty quickly. Most of those rigs are directional. I've seen as many as 12 Wells on one pad not more than 50 ft apart. The pipeline activity is crazy.

I had super at an BBQ steakhouse in Portsmouth, Ohio with Charlie. If you are ever there, ask about the place. Ribs and steaks.

He is pretty excited about the possibilities that some of the old Paleozoic units on the Appalachian mountain flanks offer. He got involved when oil prices were higher so the drop has been a concern.

True Grit Farms":zonrl5i7 said:
There's way more than 18 rigs in the Gulf of Mexico off Louisiana. What Baker is calling rigs is different from what we call rigs. Heading south out of Port Fourchon, Louisiana at night looks like a city in the gulf.
Been there..worked there.
Are they in La waters or federal lease block waters?
Drilling rigs or production rigs?

ohiosteve":233cnr6m said:
I'm talking about rigs like this

That, /\ /\ /\ is a drilling rig.

TC:
3 of the pics you have posted are not drilling rigs.
2 are oilwell pump jacks--the well has already been drilled, production casing set and they are pumping oil out of the ground.
1 is a workover rig.

The other one looks like a drilling rig--a double. I haven't seen a double outside daylight double WOs in a long long time.

Baker Hughes rig count only counts rigs that the derrick is up and the well has been spudded already--in other words, the bit is drilling ahead.
Production platforms, workovers, tubing units, frac units aren't drilling rigs and aren't in the count.

ohiosteve":1b19ze89 said:
When I was working the Austin Chalk play in the early 80s, there were generally 20+ rigs running within a 20 mile radius of both Caldwell and Giddings Tx.

greybeard":ppr6q5db said:
True Grit Farms":ppr6q5db said:
Been there..worked there.
Are they in La waters or federal lease block waters? Both
Drilling rigs or production rigs? I have no idea, but I've seen them drilling with Jackups on some small rigs.

That is a lot of rigs for the size of Ohio. I could see where you are noticing it. It's both a blessing and a curse.

Baker keeps a pretty good count but they don't have every single rig, all the time. We have one drilling right now that is not on the list.

TCRanch":z3ymt65k said:
And one two weeks ago after a leak. They had to suck out about 90 barrels. :mad:

Tell that company they make stuff to prevent that. It's a bucket that goes around the stuffing box. If the packing starts leaking it fills the bucked and trips a float switch that shuts the unit off.

I would also question how often their gauger is coming by. That's a lot of oil. Not sure what that well produces but it would have to pump for a while like that to make that big of a mess IMO.

Ask them nicely to get one. If they refuse, tell them you will have yalls local agency out to pull samples on that soil because I doubt they dug out all that dirt and hauled it off.

That's an awesome picture Craig. Depending what my daughter does when she graduates in 2 years I think I might get on a pipeline crew or an offshore rig if possible. I think I'd enjoy it and could make a lot more money than I make now.