Oilfield​

Help Support CattleToday:

Theres a lot of talk in our company about 1000 rigs being the new normal. That we will never be back to 2000. What are you thoughts on it? If it is then we are already operating at near capacity instead of half. We get probably a lot more insight into whats going on because our owner is well involved. Hes on the Onshore Advisory Board and Executive Committee of IADC.

Brute is right. If they said 90 bbls it was likely a lot more. An epa bottle is what we call those cans that shut the jack down if it's leaking

Craig Miller":3k90af90 said:
Theres a lot of talk in our company about 1000 rigs being the new normal. That we will never be back to 2000. What are you thoughts on it? If it is then we are already operating at near capacity instead of half. We get probably a lot more insight into whats going on because our owner is well involved. Hes on the Onshore Advisory Board and Executive Committee of IADC.

I would agree. I don't see oil getting much over $50 for the next ten years. I don't see NG going any where in my lifetime. The supply is far out weighing the demand. They are finding new plays and technology daily. Pull that rig count up in a year... in two years... watch West Texas. It's going to get wild.

True Grit Farms":d5j8n70o said:
Are they in La waters or federal lease block waters?
Both
Drilling rigs or production rigs?
I have no idea, but I've seen them drilling with Jackups on some small rigs.

Rigs in Gulf states' water get counted for that state. Rigs drilling federal lease block waters don't get counted for the state they are closest to..get counted differently, but I'm not sure how and not going to add up all the state rigs and compare it to total US rigs to figure it out.

Unless something has changed drastically since last time I flew over the gulf, (15 years ago) most of what is seen out there is production platforms. Prod platform can service multiple batch wells thru the subsea template.

Here's a 2005 NOAA map of production platforms in the GoM. They didn't include drilling rigs.

platform_600.jpg

Brute 23":15k9bx74 said:
That is a lot of rigs for the size of Ohio. I could see where you are noticing it. It's both a blessing and a curse.

Baker keeps a pretty good count but they don't have every single rig, all the time. We have one drilling right now that is not on the list.

TCRanch":15k9bx74 said:
And one two weeks ago after a leak. They had to suck out about 90 barrels. :mad:

Tell that company they make stuff to prevent that. It's a bucket that goes around the stuffing box. If the packing starts leaking it fills the bucked and trips a float switch that shuts the unit off.

I would also question how often their gauger is coming by. That's a lot of oil. Not sure what that well produces but it would have to pump for a while like that to make that big of a mess IMO.

Ask them nicely to get one. If they refuse, tell them you will have yalls local agency out to pull samples on that soil because I doubt they dug out all that dirt and hauled it off.
No, they did not dig out the dirt and we've had so much rain it's filling up again with residual oil/water. The company that originally had our lease was located in KS, pumper lived a couple miles away. Sold out to a company just outside Houston and the pumper lives in Wichita, definitely is not checking on a daily basis, and the foreman lives 4 hours away. Asking them nicely to do anything has not worked and we are threatening legal action: it's been over 2 years and they still haven't put in roads so our pastures are a mess in addition to a lot of other clean-up. Royalties are nice but sometimes I question whether it's worth it.

greybeard":5gbx2kcy said:
ohiosteve":5gbx2kcy said:
I was being sarcastic about Ohio being the new Texas, but it's hard not to notice the increase in activity the past few years. Especially in southern Ohio down where M.magis lives. I think I could drive to 23 rigs pretty quickly. Most of those rigs are directional. I've seen as many as 12 Wells on one pad not more than 50 ft apart. The pipeline activity is crazy.
When I was working the Austin Chalk play in the early 80s, there were generally 20+ rigs running within a 20 mile radius of both Caldwell and Giddings Tx.

Austin chalk runs all over he way over here. Currently have acreage leased to Pantheon.

TCRanch":262p4dy0 said:
Brute 23":262p4dy0 said:
That is a lot of rigs for the size of Ohio. I could see where you are noticing it. It's both a blessing and a curse.

Baker keeps a pretty good count but they don't have every single rig, all the time. We have one drilling right now that is not on the list.

TCRanch":262p4dy0 said:
And one two weeks ago after a leak. They had to suck out about 90 barrels. :mad:

Tell that company they make stuff to prevent that. It's a bucket that goes around the stuffing box. If the packing starts leaking it fills the bucked and trips a float switch that shuts the unit off.

I would also question how often their gauger is coming by. That's a lot of oil. Not sure what that well produces but it would have to pump for a while like that to make that big of a mess IMO.

Ask them nicely to get one. If they refuse, tell them you will have yalls local agency out to pull samples on that soil because I doubt they dug out all that dirt and hauled it off.
No, they did not dig out the dirt and we've had so much rain it's filling up again with residual oil/water. The company that originally had our lease was located in KS, pumper lived a couple miles away. Sold out to a company just outside Houston and the pumper lives in Wichita, definitely is not checking on a daily basis, and the foreman lives 4 hours away. Asking them nicely to do anything has not worked and we are threatening legal action: it's been over 2 years and they still haven't put in roads so our pastures are a mess in addition to a lot of other clean-up. Royalties are nice but sometimes I question whether it's worth it.

Don't spend your own money. Call the US EPA office in Region 7. 11201 Renner Blvd, Lenexa, KS 66219.

https://www.epa.gov/aboutepa/epa-region-7-midwest

You will see a line that says: Report Spills and Violations. Follow it from there.

Be aware: they may have an enforcement agreement with the State of Kansas.

About all I've been doing lately is hauling stuff in and out of pipeline construction sites. I'm no genius but 2 42" high pressure lines are going to move some gas. It starts in the Ohio/WV/Pennsylvania area and runs into Michigan. I'm wondering who's​ funding that.

TCRanch
Some states have entered into Enforcement Agreements with the US EPA to perform the enforcement of federal Acts and Statutes. You may be referred to the Kansas regulatory authority for oil spills. That can be discouraging. Some states are not as responsive as you may deem satisfactory. In which case, their inaction should be reported back to the Regional Office of the US EPA in Kansas.

Send me a PM if you decide to go this route and you need help.

I have nothing to add except that I find all this very interesting as my dad was a mechanical engineer dealing with wire rope. So, I have heard some lots of stories about oil rigs.

M-5":2ijl8xgx said:
that's sorta like taking your executioner out to dinner. My advise Is to NOT GET ANY FEDERAL AGENCY involved they are NOT going to be your friends.

They have to decide. Use your own money to seek damages or turn it over to the regulatory authority.

Most legal counsel will recommend involvement of the RA.

Bright Raven":32hmvhlx said:
M-5":32hmvhlx said:
that's sorta like taking your executioner out to dinner. My advise Is to NOT GET ANY FEDERAL AGENCY involved they are NOT going to be your friends.

They have to decide. Use your own money to seek damages or turn it over to the regulatory authority.

Yes , "were from the government and were here to help" TC be careful we all know they have a spy on here and if they show up they are likely to try and find other issues .

M-5":n4r4xugc said:
Bright Raven":n4r4xugc said:
M-5":n4r4xugc said:

Yes , "were from the government and were here to help" TC be careful we all know they have a spy on here and if they show up they are likely to try and find other issues .

I agree only with the "find other issues". A complaint filed with the regional office will result in a full inspection and other issues may come out.

M-5":yf3xcfij said:
Bright Raven":yf3xcfij said:
M-5":yf3xcfij said:

I am to my knowledge the only retired ex-EPA employee that is a user on CT. There is at least one current EPA employee that is a regular poster here. They PMed me with their confession. NO. I WILL NEVER TELL.